Author Topic: CF-86D Finished  (Read 577 times)

Offline The Rat

• 70 years old, doesn't feel a day over 90.
  • Maybe I should take up the bagpipes.
CF-86D Finished
« on: October 09, 2023, 10:22:04 AM »

Going head-to-head with Avro Canada, North American Aviation offered the Royal Canadian Air Force an F-86D company demonstrator for their test and evaluation, attempting to sway them from the CF-100. While pilots were impressed the handling and speed, they expressed concerns about the single-engined reliablity of such an aircraft, and testing proved the superior effectiveness of the Canuck's powerful radar system, combined with a second operator. After being in the hands of the RCAF for a few months, the airframe was retired to NAA with a 'Thanks but no thanks', and with a few bottles of rye as an added extra.

Airfix F-86D, an older model but still a good build in my opinion. Easy enough for a beginner, with sufficient detail to please someone with growing skills. The only part missing from the kit was the fuel dump pipe, which was replaced with sprue. No point bothering Airfix for a tiny part like that.

Decals were home-printed, far from great, but way better than previous efforts. Still some silvering despite applications of Micro Sol, and being applied over a glossy surface. Matt finish is Revell from a rattle-can.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 12:11:21 PM by The Rat »
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: CF-86D Finished
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2023, 05:11:33 PM »
You know, it doesn't really look that different to this;

Nice job, Rattus! :smiley: 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2023, 06:21:15 AM »
Always liked F-86D.  Wears this camo and markings well.  Nice build, thanks for posting  :smiley:

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2023, 08:53:14 AM »
Looks good! The decals came out great.