Author Topic: 1/500 (or 1/350) Minotaur fighter  (Read 2692 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
1/500 (or 1/350) Minotaur fighter
« on: December 26, 2015, 04:17:54 AM »
This is the second resin kit from Ugh Models based on designs by Masao Okazaki, from his Starfleet Museum.

The Minotaur is a little smaller than the Curran and is made up of five resin parts (if you're making a fighter from the Honor Harrington series; otherwise just two and a base) and pretty simple to assemble.

The box is labeled "1/350" but the size and instructions claim 1/500. The docking hatch matches the one on the 1/350 Curran, so I went with 1/350. I named it "Black Betty" one of the interpretations of the song is that it refers to a 1700s musket.

The original gun barrels were fine, but I used Acetone to remove a bad paint job and ended up destroying them. So the barrels were replaced with plastic rod and drilled:

The support rod is a thick florescent green plastic straw. I may keep it. The model is currently loose (and wobbly) on the straw.

On patrol over the Moon:

The original is an amazing image from the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter:
https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/goddard/lro-earthrise-2015

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
Re: 1/500 (or 1/350) Minotaur fighter
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 08:51:10 AM »
Beautiful!  I presume that the two rings shown in the data for the model are for the Honor Harrington universe?  Those would be commensurate with that universe's tech.  Do they say what particular class from the Honor Harrington universe this is supposed to represent?

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 12:56:28 PM »
Evan,
 The description isn't on the page anymore, but the instructions say that it can be built as a Manticorian impeller driven LAC.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 12:49:14 AM »
Okay, then those two rings are the fore and aft impeller rings a Manticoran LAC would have.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 07:17:25 AM »
Going by the size of that straw, this is one wee Minotaur which makes the detail work just out of this world!

I vote to keep the straw if you can stabilize everything. It sure looks like ion drive exhaust to me!

Brian da Basher