Author Topic: Merkava Tank Ideas and Inspiration  (Read 67319 times)

Offline arkon

• Paper Building Maestro
Re: Merkava SPG
« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2016, 01:25:28 PM »
About what dimensions would a 155 be   OD at the muzzle and at the base where it goes into the turret ? I have several sizes of evergreen styrene and some other oddball plastics for barrels. Do most spg/h have a muzzle brake or fume extractor?
the paper gods demand sacrifice

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2016, 02:19:13 PM »
About what dimensions would a 155 be   OD at the muzzle and at the base where it goes into the turret ? I have several sizes of evergreen styrene and some other oddball plastics for barrels. Do most spg/h have a muzzle brake or fume extractor?

Most do nowadays.  It helps keep the atmosphere inside the turret clear of fumes.  Many also have muzzle brakes which help reduce recoil as well.

The major difference (in theory) between an SPH and an SPG is that the Howitzer can elevate greater than 45 degrees, which allows a steeper angle of descent for the round after it has been fired.  A Gun does not have that capability, again in theory.  The elevation limits of both guns and howitzers have become somewhat blurred over the decades.

Offline arkon

• Paper Building Maestro
« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2016, 02:37:55 PM »
Thank you rickshaw, kinda what I was thinking,  mostly a nomenclature kinda thing
the paper gods demand sacrifice

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Merkava Tank Ideas and Inspiration
« Reply #78 on: August 01, 2017, 03:17:29 AM »
New Namer with turret:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Zaskar24

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #79 on: August 01, 2017, 06:49:02 AM »
That looks really nice. It would appear to be a Bushmaster cannon based on the barrel. I wounder if the cover on the left front of the turret is for Spike missiles? Of real interest to me are the six tubes on the right side of the turret face.

Now if only someone would make a reasonably priced Namer in 1/35th!

New Namer with turret:

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2017, 03:42:41 AM »
Another view plus some details:

clockwise
1. commander's sight
2. dual missile launcher
3. trophy lucher
4. trophy radar
5. 60 mm mortar
6. guner sight
7. dual feed 400 bullet canon 30 - 40 mm
8. smoke grenades
9. parallel machine gun 7.62 mm 700 bullets
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 03:47:13 AM by GTX_Admin »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2017, 08:51:20 AM »
When? Oh, when, will they ever bring out a (decent) styrene Namer? ??? ??? :icon_crap:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #82 on: August 02, 2017, 10:16:06 AM »
When? Oh, when, will they ever bring out a (decent) styrene Namer? ??? ??? :icon_crap:

How different is the Namer APC from the ARV variant by Hobbyboss?

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #83 on: August 02, 2017, 11:07:21 AM »
The ARV prototypes (it never went into production) are based on the Namer prototypes, which were based on the Merkava III, the Namer production vehicles are based on the Merkava IV.

What I've read indicates that there are some differences in hull shape & size, & it uses a different engine but I don't know how visible these might be, especially compared to the late-model Merkava IIID's.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #84 on: February 26, 2018, 02:20:50 AM »
Merkava prototype with M48 turret:

Side profile:

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #85 on: February 26, 2018, 04:54:05 AM »
^ Merkava hull with M48 turret.  How about an M48 with a Merkava turret? 

Really would like to see a 1:35th scale Namer some time soon...
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #86 on: February 26, 2018, 08:39:04 AM »

You & me, both, Brother!

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2018, 02:47:29 PM »
^ Merkava hull with M48 turret.  How about an M48 with a Merkava turret? 

Almost what you say: M60 and Merkava (same scale)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #88 on: February 27, 2018, 01:38:06 AM »

You & me, both, Brother!

I thought Legend Productions released both a conversion and a full kit?

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #89 on: February 27, 2018, 04:29:30 AM »
I suppose it will happen just as soon as Greg purchases the resin kit of the Namer.  Come on Greg!  You can do it!  :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2018, 01:19:42 AM »
I suppose it will happen just as soon as Greg purchases the resin kit of the Namer.  Come on Greg!  You can do it!  :)

Go away!!!

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
« Reply #91 on: April 01, 2018, 11:13:10 AM »
Almost what you say: M60 and Merkava (same scale)

Now if the Merkava hull has enough clearance around the turret ring for the Sabra II/III turret armour package or vice-versa......
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 02:08:20 AM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #92 on: May 13, 2018, 03:47:23 AM »

Offline Burncycle

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #93 on: July 09, 2018, 11:52:14 PM »
the old standby twin 20/30mm gepard style turret :icon_sleep:.

There's one on here!

http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=2068.0

YES!  :-*

I've been playing around with a what if "Merkava Multi-Mission Effects Vehicle" -- and it looks almost exactly like that (albiet with some short ranged SAM missiles as well).   

Equipped with 2x 35mm Millennium cannons with AHEAD ammunition and 4x short ranged SAM missiles, the premise is that in conventional conflict it will provide group air defense, but in low intensity conflict it serves as a C-RAM for FOB defense for anything that gets through Iron Dome.  The 3d search radar doubles as a counter-battery radar and can share predicted origin data to the artillery FDC for rapid counter-battery fire, and the engagement radar doubles as a ground surveillance radar with SAR capabilities to queue a FLIR onto an area of interest for further identification, again for FOB defense.

Other ideas I've been kicking around...

-Merkava V: Upgraded Merkava with commanders M230LF RWS  mounted on the turret, distributed aperture EO for "see through hull" type situational awareness,  select vehicles have a 5th crewman jump-seat in the "tunnel" with a couple of small unmanned aircraft that can be operated under armor (similar in size to DJI Mavic with  stabilized 4K day camera interchangable with stabilized FLIR Boson 640 for night)  30 min flight times.

-Namer 40 CTA: Namer equipped with non-deck penetrating RWS with splinter protection (similar to the RWS in the previous post).  40mm CTA / Spike-LR.

-Merkava SPG (A re-imagined Sholef, as described earlier in this thread by others).  This would have to be almost a complete redesign rather than simply slapping the PzH-2000 turret onto a Merkava hull, but it would use the same components as the Merkava IV / Namer for commonality of parts.  Much lighter (~50 t vs 70 t) since you don't need all that extra armor for the role.

-Merkava SPH-TUSK:  This is a short-barreled 155mm (similar to original M109 short-barrel) on a heavily armored Merkava IV Chassis.    This will be expected to travel with the Merkava and Namer and so it's similarly protected, and it's short barrel helps in military operations in urban terrain where it's used for obstacle reduction / direct fire, but it also fills the role of short ranged indirect fire support for heavy mechanized forces (similar role as 120mm mortar, which it overmatches in range by several KM despite it's short barrel).  Secondary armament includes an RWS

-Namer Command and Namer Ambulance:  Similar to the Namer, but with an even higher roof for additional internal room (RWS)

-Merkava SPG Resupply Vehicle:  Same role and function as the ammo resupply variant for the PzH2000, but based on Merkava components.

-Namer FiST: Forward Observer variant, equipped with additional radios, mast mounted EO package that can be elevated, RWS, and Spike NLOS missiles (25km range), as well as small unmanned aircraft (Hybrid Electric Quad / 2 hour Endurance)

-Namer Heavy Recovery (with RWS)

-Namer Assault Breacher:  Mine Plow, Excavator arm, Mine Clearing Line Charges, RWS

-Merkava IV Scissor Bridge

Trophy APS and M230LF RWS / Spike-LR / Directional UAV countermeasures and VIRSS Smoke Dischargers across the board for anything expected to fight.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: July 10, 2018, 04:32:56 AM »
Merkave Assault Breacher vehicle.  Maybe take the M1 Abrams Breacher superstructure and mate that to the Merkava hull?  Dozer blades and mine plows for everyone! :)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #95 on: July 10, 2018, 10:54:36 AM »
Merkave Assault Breacher vehicle.  Maybe take the M1 Abrams Breacher superstructure and mate that to the Merkava hull?  Dozer blades and mine plows for everyone! :)

You've done it again! Now I've got to hide another purchase from SWMBO! :o

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #96 on: September 27, 2018, 10:39:51 PM »
I was thinking of a Merkava with a Bradley or Delco / LAV II Turret but now I'm thinking Lance Turret like that on the newly selected Australian spec Boxers.  With the new Army ORBAT going for Mech and Motorised Infantry instead of Light Infantry supported by Cavalry Crewed AIFVs as originally planned, I was thinking of a small force of Heavy CFVs (Cavalry Fighting Vehicles) to directly support the Tanks. 

The idea would be a Namer version with Lance for the CFV role, two per Tank Troop (four Abrams) and perhaps a troops of four or more per squadron, carrying Assault Troops and other support troops, perhaps spare crews too.  Nammer would also provide the base for AD, SPG, mortar carrier, NLOS ATGW, breacher, AVRE, etc.  Same engine as the Hercules ARV, how hard would common tracks and road wheels etc be?

Offline Twiddle

• No, it's pronounced Frankensteen
« Reply #97 on: September 27, 2018, 11:02:35 PM »
SADF Merkava II ?

A plausible what-if seeing that the Olifant Mk Ia was a copy of the Sho't Kal ?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 11:06:24 PM by Twiddle »
Kit instructions are not acceptable - let the imagination howl forth !

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #98 on: December 18, 2018, 01:36:38 AM »
Updated Nammer with turret:

https://youtu.be/TiYqKsT7KFQ

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #99 on: July 22, 2020, 04:04:29 AM »