Author Topic: Small Brown Dog Artwork and related  (Read 109706 times)

Offline Small brown dog

• Dwelling too long on the practicalities of such things can drive you mad.
  • Yappity woof grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Small Brown Dog Artwork and related
« on: August 21, 2019, 08:19:02 PM »
Well this is a wonderful place full of types that would not shy away from a radial Spitfire, a trimotor Mosquito and perhaps the odd flying Jagdpanther. Its not short of a great deal of drool inducement in both polystyrene and pixel form either. I have no idea how I have missed this place before but it is a welcome find.

Not sure if anyone has been to Duxford lately but there is a new engine exhibit in the Airspace building:

The Kestrel ELectric XXX was the Hawker (Hunting) Hound MK4b power unit coupled with the  legendary Aero Electric SBD-146/58 field coil spool.

I found a couple of old period adverts too:

If you go looking for this engine at Duxford you will need to hunt for it as it’s a bit like trying to locate platform 9 3/4. Duxford is also home to one of the currently airworthy Hound Mk4b's

I can give a full history of the Hound and a background history of Aero Electrical flight if anyone is interested though it might be a bit sleep inducing as I'm just a small brown dog with too much time on its paws, mucking about and re writing aviation history one aircraft at a time from a location slightly south of lost.

I work in 3D and composite in Photoshop which is just a fancy way of saying I photo bash my own 3D creations.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 09:22:34 PM by SBD »
Its not that its not real but it could be that its not true.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
Re: Small Brown Dog Artwork and related
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 08:39:59 PM »
Great work.

You should send your work to Elon.  ;D
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 08:58:13 PM »
Great work.

You should send your work to Elon.  ;D

No time to go to Mars  - there's a war on!

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 11:23:30 PM »
Give us what you got, Brother SBD! We can handle it, we're Whiffers! 8) :smiley: ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 11:30:52 PM »
Give us what you got, Brother SBD! We can handle it, we're Whiffers! 8) :smiley: ;)

Thats done it - you only have yourselves to blame now   ;)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 12:55:02 AM »
Welcome aboard SBD!  Great entrance and thank you for finding us worthy of your time and participation. 

***edit for grammar/spelling that slipped by me on the first attempt.--jjf
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 11:01:07 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2019, 02:10:41 AM »
Welcome aboard SBD!  Great entrance and thank your for finding us worthy of your time and participation.
Seconded!!  That's gorgeous work!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2019, 02:16:47 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2019, 02:57:49 AM »
Welcome aboard SBD! You'll fit right in here at BtS, 'Dog  ;)
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2019, 06:55:35 AM »
Truly awesome engines! I never knew that Tesla sold his AG coil licenses to RR.

If this is yours, I think Brian will have a fainting spell when he sees the spats:

https://www.deviantart.com/small-brown-dog/art/A-break-in-the-weather-729996091

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2019, 04:14:41 PM »
Truly awesome engines! I never knew that Tesla sold his AG coil licenses to RR.

If this is yours, I think Brian will have a fainting spell when he sees the spats:

https://www.deviantart.com/small-brown-dog/art/A-break-in-the-weather-729996091

RR ??
Oh, you mean the Rolls & Royce partnership in this time line. Sadly, Mr Rolls and Mr Royce never met.  The T coil tech, although vital, only provides the energy (in shed loads) used for EMFEM which is separate but always present in ELG systems which is the younger tech. It is also well known that I am full of crap too ;)

Yes, the Spattage is mine - a MK1 Hawker Hound.
I will post the Hound's history later.

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2019, 04:15:57 PM »
By the way gentlemen thanks for the welcome. Much appreciated  :smiley:

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2019, 05:01:50 PM »
Part 1

The Hawker Hound was designed to meet and/or exceed the Air Ministry specification F.20/27 for a multi-engine interceptor design capable of modern bomber interception. This was a period of great change in aero electric aviation of which only the multi engine airframes were able to make full use of its capabilities. Single engine fighter designs whilst retaining good fighting ability were unable to match modern multi engine layouts for speed.

Chief Hawker designer, Sydney Camm, had been against using what he described as “artificial lift generation” in his fighter designs only incorporating EMFEM in his light bomber and army cooperation variants. He argued that the state of the technology was, in the early 1920’s, not mature enough for fighter development. His new design, the Fury, used a powerful so called uncoupled non electrical engine. It was sleek outstandingly manoeuvrable and easily exceeded 200mph in level flight. However, even a fighter with exceptional fighting characteristics is of little use if it cannot catch its prey.

Camm was aware that bomber interception by conventional lift fighter aircraft would, and very soon, be impossible. However, even with the best coupled thrust engines there was still a reliance on conventional flying surfaces for a percentage of lift and for flight control. Camm believed that electrical lift and weight compensation should be used solely for lift and thrust with nothing wasted on overcoming the drag caused by the new equipment and its additional weight. An abundance of power was required and the only way forward at this time was to double the power plant.

So Camm was being forced by necessity to design a twin engine interceptor (not an idea that rested easily with Mr Camm). To give an aeroplane such as the Fury the new Tesla/Royce engine and a reduction in flying surfaces would give a performance similar to that of the new light bombers but it would reduce the agility of the aeroplane and many of the characteristics of a fighter. There would also be severe limitations on fuel and internal equipment. Therefore a twin, at this time, was the only option. He addressed the board saying:

“If we are to build a twin engine aeroplane then we are going to build a fighting twin engine aeroplane. I firmly believe that we are not alone in our concerns over the ever increasing performance of the bomber aircraft. Our thoughts on defence will also be a potential enemy’s thoughts and in addition they, as do I, may think it prudent to develop fighting aircraft that can take on the defenders interceptors.”

“I have a design in mind which will utilise two of the new Tesla/Royce Kestrel engines in a small and light weight airframe. I propose to develop a system that will maximise the lift potential and harmonise the control for the rate of roll.”
“In short,” he continued, ” If we are to use artificial lift then we will damn well lift 100% artificially” “Gentlemen, I’m going to rip the bloody wings off”

The airworthy Shuttleworth Hawker Hound MK1 N1458 taken at Duxford July 2017

So was born The Hawker Hound, a name Camm didn’t like that much as he really wanted to call it the Twin Fury. The Air Ministry loved the name because it smacks of aggressive pursuing and harassing. The press coined the phrase “Wingless Wonder” and when Hawkers own PR department ran with it Camm was spitting feathers. However the very name would, in the coming years, become synonymous with defiance in the face of aggression,  the later MK4 variants image being quick to come to mind whenever the Battle of Britain is mentioned. It was not for nothing that Dr Alfred Price entitled his ultimate history of the Hawker Hound : Guard Dog.

Rejected first cover image for the Dr Alfred Price Hawker Hound history

Period advert for The airscrew Co Ltd:

« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 06:09:35 PM by Small brown dog »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2019, 10:29:36 PM »
 :D :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Online Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2019, 10:45:39 PM »
Welcome aboard the madhouse!!!
Your design is wonderful. I can’t help imagining how to build that in plastic. Looks like a Hurricane fuselage on the Mk4b version with Merlin engines. Am I close? A lot of scratch building also but to me that’s the fun part.

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2019, 10:54:29 PM »
Welcome aboard the madhouse!!!
Your design is wonderful. I can’t help imagining how to build that in plastic. Looks like a Hurricane fuselage on the Mk4b version with Merlin engines. Am I close? A lot of scratch building also but to me that’s the fun part.

Its very Hurricane everywhere :)
The engines are the Kestrel Electric XXX - think Kestrels on some sort of super steroids that drive the electrical lift generation gear.
To be completely honest I went way off when building the Kestrel as it sort of went all Merlin on me. My Merlin Electric will probably look likfe a mutant Griffon.

I think I might have gone the wrong way about this as perhaps I should posted the background to the tech first - ah well  ;)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2019, 02:21:58 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Online Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2019, 02:53:12 AM »
No problem! The Hound made me curious as to the lift technology which was satisfied by the story. Thanks.
Hmmmm....  Mental images of flying battleships.......

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2019, 02:57:22 AM »
No problem! The Hound made me curious as to the lift technology which was satisfied by the story. Thanks.
Hmmmm....  Mental images of flying battleships.......

I have an image if you would like to see a couple of Predator class

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2019, 04:44:01 AM »
Have you considered having this 3D printed? It would be awesome.

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2019, 04:50:03 AM »
Have you considered having this 3D printed? It would be awesome.

It has crossed my mind a few times but then so has Scarlet Johansson and thats not going to happen either :)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2019, 05:57:58 AM »
I know a guy who can turn that into a 3D model from a suitable .obj or similar file...

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2019, 06:06:24 AM »
This is all so incredibly well done I had to do a double-take, especially on that first amazing picture.

Reminds me of something that could've flown in that Sky Captain flick that was out a while back.

Great stuff and rendered so convincingly it could fool many.

Brian da Basher

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2019, 06:09:36 AM »
I don't think I'm familiar with your work, but seeing the sample you posted I think you'll fit in nicely.

Welcome to BtS and we look forward to seeing more, especially if they have such lovely spats!

:-*

Ahem. I'm off now to find out if there's any cold water left.
 :-[
Brian da Basher

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2019, 05:16:56 PM »
I know a guy who can turn that into a 3D model from a suitable .obj or similar file...

I would probably have to tweak the crap out of my meshes as I am a really sloppy modeller.
You are not the first to mention 3D printing the MK1 Hound though along with a couple of others and I have wondered about making inroads in that direction myself.