Author Topic: 1/35 Wheeled M113 DONE  (Read 7899 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
Re: 1/35 Wheeled M113
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2021, 08:21:29 AM »
I was thinking of putting the whole M151 on the side... but that's a bit too much. I have several M60s and maybe some M249s "in stock" so maybe I can add one. There isn't enough room for .50 cal or even a Mk. 19 anywhere else.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2021, 08:46:07 AM »
I was thinking of putting the whole M151 on the side... but that's a bit too  much. I have several M60s and maybe some M249s "in stock" so maybe I can add one. There isn't enough room for .50 cal or even a Mk. 19 anywhere else.
That was the same issue I discovered when I was working on the same kit.  That one spot on the top-left side is about large enough for a 7.62mm GPMG or 5.56mm SAW system if you can cobble together a feasible mount for the weapon and ammunition supply. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2021, 09:58:12 AM »
Looking good Frank!  Have you given any thought to maybe adding a GPMG or SAW on top of the ITOW turret?  What little space there is, the left side of the launcher assembly does have a small area that might work.   

I was thinking the same thing. Then the TOW sighting system could aim the MG.
I once had a battalion CO tell me he wished he could get rid of the Tow missile and combine the sighting system with the old 106mm recoilless rifle. Now that would be some whiff material!!

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2021, 12:49:46 AM »
The Canadian LAV TUA and M113 TUA both have the 7.62mm GPMG  on the right side of their TOW launchers. I can't find any decent photos of the real vehicles showing the GPMG but here are some images from the Trumpeter kit and the Legend conversion set. The images below will show where the GPMG is attached and you could possibly do something similar to yours.

Trumpeter 1/35 Canadian LAV TUA kit showing the GPMG attached.

Legend 1/35 Canadian M113 TUA conversion set.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2021, 02:53:02 AM »
@Kerick - don't give me ideas! I can just imagine a modernized Ontos with an M151 sighting system.

Ramba - thanks for those pictures; I think I'll add a weapon to the side of the TOW launcher.

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2021, 04:10:36 AM »
@Kerick - don't give me ideas! I can just imagine a modernized Ontos with an M151 sighting system.

Ramba - thanks for those pictures; I think I'll add a weapon to the side of the TOW launcher.

The trick would be boresiting those six recoilless rifles with the TOW sight. But this is whiffworld, leave it to the backstory!

Those TUA pics are great! Lots of reinforcement to the roof of the vehicle. Nice detail.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2021, 05:43:29 AM »
The Canadian LAV TUA and M113 TUA both have the 7.62mm GPMG  on the right side of their TOW launchers...

Yup,  when the M113 TUA were retired, their Kvaener TOW turrets went to the LAV TUAs.

Here is a Dan Hay close up of the mount for the GPMG (sans weapon, to show the greeblies and gubbins).

-- https://www.primeportal.net/apc/dan_hay/lav_iii_tua/index.php?Page=3
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
Re: 1/35 Wheeled M113 DONE
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2021, 09:26:18 AM »
I think I'm done with this. It really doesn't look much like an M113.

None of the smaller M60 class MGs that I had looked great, so I went with the 0.50 cal from the M151 kit. The ammo box is from the Italeri M998 IED kit. I added a couple of plates (also from the M998 kit) to provide some protection while loading the TOW and MG ammo, although loading a .50 cal even in a lowered position would not be easy:

The smoke grenades are from another M151 kit that didn't get used in anything before now:

I found a plastic bit that looked like the GPMG mount that apophenia posted, but it's barely visible in the pictures:

The bag for the spent shell casings was made from Procreate 2 part epoxy. It's great stuff. I'm not sure that the bag would be big enough to hold all the casings, though:

Rear view:

Thanks for all the comments, and a big thanks to Jeff for sending me the Lav-25 kit and Bill who sent me a partial M113 kit years ago; most of the parts were used.

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2021, 10:48:44 AM »
Great job! Looks cool as a wheeled vehicle. The .50cal looks good too.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2021, 11:16:19 AM »
Thanks! The ammo box is actually for the MK19 grenade launcher, but the box is roughly the same width (only much deeper) than the .50 cal ammo box.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2021, 01:08:40 PM »
Wears wheels well and looks faster whether it is or not. :smiley:  Light realistic weathering too. :smiley:  Bang up job on dirt in tires. :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2021, 04:45:33 PM »
Doesn't matter if it doesn't look like a M113, it looks great! 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2021, 08:34:31 PM »
Echoing what's already been said; this is magnificent!  Well done.

Offline Steve Blazo

• The man likes white plastic...weird.
    • flickr
« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2021, 10:14:25 PM »
 :smiley: :smiley:  Cool concept very nicely done !!
As I walk through the valley of death,
I have no fear, because I am the meanest mother*ucker in the whole valley.
- Gen. George S. Patton

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2021, 12:39:24 AM »
Great kit bash! I am getting Terrapin vibes from it :-) 

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2021, 01:36:35 AM »
Thanks guys - it was a fun build and I enjoyed all the comments and suggestions.

Gingie - a 1/35 Terrapin would be interesting, maybe with more a sensible engine placement (or a single engine).

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2021, 03:00:03 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2021, 04:32:09 AM »
<SNIP>Thanks for all the comments, and a big thanks to Jeff for sending me the Lav-25 kit and Bill who sent me a partial M113 kit years ago; most of the parts were used.
Always glad to help out.  Also you helped me by taking that old ESCI LAV TUA kit out of my stash where it had been gathering dust for almost forty years.  :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2021, 07:16:35 AM »
Really like the result. Well done all through this

Offline The Rat

• 70 years old, doesn't feel a day over 90.
  • Maybe I should take up the bagpipes.
« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2021, 03:01:23 AM »
I'm not into armour, but as someone who's bones have been rattled a few times in those, that looks great!
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2021, 11:27:57 AM »
Wow, awesome piece of work!  :smiley:
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!