Author Topic: Oregon Gunboat  (Read 2977 times)

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
Oregon Gunboat
« on: October 17, 2020, 05:16:27 PM »
Getting ahead of things by posting now cuz have Experimental Flying Wing Bomber about 90% finished and bit less for shed build.   What the heck gunna give this a shot.
Glencoe 1/225 USS Oregon based 1/72 gunboat.   Be 115.5 feet long and 24 feet beam.   An armored class specifically for close to shore short range troop fire support for Japan invasion.   
Not meant to be enduring post war class.   Most survivors would be scrapped after war.   
Similarities to USS Arizona based gunboat.   Though it has mix of old and modern.   
http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=2769.0

Getting some of it figured out as do the other stuff.   See attached.

Offline finsrin

Re: Oregon Gunboat
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 01:08:34 PM »
Main turrets are from 1/35 Flakpanzer.   Minor trim inside deck hole with pocket knife and turret fits.   Was meant to be.

see attached

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 02:56:48 PM »
Is this still 1/72? ???
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline finsrin

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 03:05:23 PM »
Yes,,,  scale-o-rama to 1/72.   Also to cut hull at water line.   Goal is 1/72 builds so are compatible in diorama.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 04:47:20 PM »
So, if you're using the Flugzeugabwehrkanone 38s from the turret, they'll equate to 4 x 40mm auto-cannons (4 cm Flak 38? ???).
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline finsrin

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 05:49:44 PM »
So one would presume.  But guns are TBD.  Surprise is (can't explain whys & wherefores) kit guns match very well to 76mm Sherman ones.   Considerable fiddling with both OOB styrene guns from various kits and metal barrels to figure it out.  Two or four 76mm or four 40mm for rapid fire or something else ?

USS Oregon secondary (8 inch) positions take 75mm Sherman turrets well.   Same turret as on Arizona Gunboat which has better explosion for softer targets.    76mm has better armor penetration.   Side casement guns can be 50 cal to 37mm.   Some rapid fire defensive guns for small boats or swimmers is advisable.   

Is interesting exercise to figure out armaments.   Open to ideas and comments.   How about broadside of 8 x 76mm and 2 x 75mm....
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 06:07:30 PM by finsrin »

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 09:17:40 AM »
Looking forward to this!  :D

... Open to ideas and comments.   How about broadside of 8 x 76mm and 2 x 75mm....

I'm thinking, for your close-to-shore support role, the greater HE content of the 75 mm M48 rounds (1.5 lbs versus 0.9 for the 76) actually has more utility than the higher m/v for the 76 mm M1. If true, maybe reverse your proportion of guns?
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline finsrin

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2020, 01:15:24 PM »
Well stated.   That is/was my leaning.   75mm HE and phosphorus seems best way to serve local ground troop needs.   Mission is not to duke it out via armor busting of tanks and ships.   Thanks.

Offline Zaskar24

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2020, 07:11:09 PM »
Looking forward to this!  :D

... Open to ideas and comments.   How about broadside of 8 x 76mm and 2 x 75mm....

I'm thinking, for your close-to-shore support role, the greater HE content of the 75 mm M48 rounds (1.5 lbs versus 0.9 for the 76) actually has more utility than the higher m/v for the 76 mm M1. If true, maybe reverse your proportion of guns?

Take it a step further and go with the 105mm howitzer of the M4(105)? Can provide both direct and in direct fire support for the troops.

Offline finsrin

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2020, 07:57:55 AM »
Howitzer idea sinks in and makes sense.  Are 1/72 kits of it available.  Do that and go with the four 75mm Sherman turrets.
Will get 105mm howitzer kit to size fit in Flakpanzer turret.  Find out how that goes.

Offline Zaskar24

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2020, 08:27:46 AM »
Trumpeter makes a 1/72 kit of the M4A3(105).

Offline finsrin

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2020, 09:39:53 AM »
See that ACE has 105mm US field howitzer M2A1.  Can test fit that in turret.