Author Topic: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's  (Read 130136 times)

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Re: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's
« Reply #425 on: November 20, 2021, 12:27:24 AM »
Yup, matches the photo's now! :smiley:

Thanks for suggesting it and I agree, it does look a lot better.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #426 on: November 22, 2021, 08:54:40 PM »
Now that the tire clearance problem is resolved, I am now test fitting the Meng ZPU-1. I am using some I beams to raise the ZPU-1 so the gunner's seat can swing past the sides of the bed without interference.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #427 on: November 22, 2021, 09:11:20 PM »
I can just see some poor sod shovelling spent casings out from the bed of the Landy! ;D
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #428 on: November 22, 2021, 09:51:58 PM »
I can just see some poor sod shovelling spent casings out from the bed of the Landy! ;D

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #429 on: November 22, 2021, 10:40:49 PM »
That ZPU mount looks sturdy enough and allows the for full rotation of the weapon. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Ramba

« Reply #430 on: November 23, 2021, 04:08:58 AM »
That ZPU mount looks sturdy enough and allows the for full rotation of the weapon.

Thanks! Yeah, the ZPU-1 sat too low and when it rotated, the seat would hit the sides and it wouldn't be able to have full rotation. I had to raise it so the seat has enough clearance to swing over the sides. It has just enough clearance now. Everything is just taped or dry fitted for now. I tend to leave a lot of parts separate for easier painting but won't get to paint it until next spring.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #431 on: November 23, 2021, 04:12:58 AM »
Small update. Adding a couple Dragon AK-47's to the Land Rover and a few other items. The ammo cans in the back and the RPG's were kindly donated by Jeffry Fontaine. Thanks again for the parts!

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #432 on: November 23, 2021, 06:20:32 AM »
So glad to see my donations being utilized.  I for sure was unable to find a use for the things so it pleases me greatly to see the things finding a purpose.  :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Ramba

« Reply #433 on: November 24, 2021, 11:06:07 PM »
So glad to see my donations being utilized.  I for sure was unable to find a use for the things so it pleases me greatly to see the things finding a purpose.  :smiley:

Thanks Jeff! A lot of the stuff you sent will be used rest assured.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #434 on: November 24, 2021, 11:13:18 PM »
Another small update on the Land Rover.  Another part kindly donated by Jeffry Fontaine was the Verlinden R107 field radio. There were three in the parts bag Jeff sent and I painted one up using a reference photo I found online.

Here is the field radio I painted up and also shown is the reference photo. I painted the field radio as best I could.

Here it is placed randomly on the Land Rover with some of the other items Jeff kindly donated.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #435 on: November 24, 2021, 11:30:42 PM »
Looking good!  I do wonder about the placement of the loaded RPG-7 though.  Everything else looks legit.  :smiley:   

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #436 on: November 25, 2021, 12:42:32 AM »
This is a great build so far!

Offline Ramba

« Reply #437 on: November 27, 2021, 12:38:04 AM »
Looking good!  I do wonder about the placement of the loaded RPG-7 though.  Everything else looks legit.  :smiley:

Thanks! The items were randomly placed just for the photo. The AK in the back can't stay where it is either as the barrel sticks up too far and when the ZPU-1 rotates, the seat will hit the barrel so that has to be moved as well. Once I finish the Land Rover I will decide where all those items will finally rest.

This is a great build so far!

Thanks!

Offline Ramba

« Reply #438 on: November 27, 2021, 12:52:59 AM »
One of the Jeffry Fontaine gifts was the ESCI 1/35 LAV-25. Here are some of the parts I will be working with today. I am doing it as a what if. The M61 20mm gun is mine that I will be using on this build.

I also have the AFV Club Stryker upgrade set and will be using some of the parts from that set. The AFC set has one hull side included but I actually have two of the AFV sets. Only thing is, the hull side is only for the right side so I have two right sides. I am also using the hull side baskets as well but the AFV set doesn't include the ends so I am using some of the other parts to make ends with.

The AFV Stryker hull side being test fitted to the ESCI LAV-25. As you can see, it doesn't fit that well so will need some modifications.

Here is one of the AFV Stryker hull sides After measuring and cut to fit.

Here are the AFV Stryker hull sides cut and test fitted on the ESCI LAV-25. As you can see, still a long way to go to fit the rest of the Stryker hull sides to the front of the ESCI LAV. The front will take much longer to measure and cut to fit as it is more complex. Hopefully the next update will show the front parts fitted and hoping it won't take too long.

This was the inspiration for my what if build. Mine won't look like this one though as I don't have any ERA blocks.

I do however have some more parts from that AFV Stryker upgrade set that I will be cutting to size to fit on the ESCI LAV turret to represent some kind of added armor.

I will be cutting the AFV Stryker parts to match the shape of the turret and they will sit flush.

Here is the M61 test fitted on the mantlet.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #439 on: November 27, 2021, 01:06:05 AM »
Good to see that ESCI LAV getting turned into something interesting.  The add-on armor from the AFV Club accessory set was a great save.  I have that same accessory set and wondered about what to do with those odd extra parts, especially that one left side armor part.  The screen material added to the DELCO turret looks good, great use and it suggests a perforated add-on armor panel that would be light in weight but still additional armor against some HEAT warheads. 

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #440 on: November 27, 2021, 01:43:13 AM »
Your LAV-25 is off to a good start! Those AFV Club add-on kits are a great source of extra bits.

You've already applied the sides but you can trace the sides onto sheet styrene and make the left side. Adding all the extra bolts and details would be tedious, but you can also just make two sides - left and right - and add only the details that you need. The turret armor and M61 look great; the Biushmaster and M61 are roughly the same size/weight so it looks like a good replacement.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #441 on: November 27, 2021, 02:42:53 AM »
I hope the nickname on the vehicle is "SHREDDER!" :smiley:

Offline Ramba

« Reply #442 on: November 27, 2021, 06:29:44 AM »
Good to see that ESCI LAV getting turned into something interesting.  The add-on armor from the AFV Club accessory set was a great save.  I have that same accessory set and wondered about what to do with those odd extra parts, especially that one left side armor part.  The screen material added to the DELCO turret looks good, great use and it suggests a perforated add-on armor panel that would be light in weight but still additional armor against some HEAT warheads.

I never knew what to do with all the left over parts from the AFV set but thanks to you for the LAV kit that I now have something to use them on.

I hope the nickname on the vehicle is "SHREDDER!" :smiley:

Shredder is a great name for it.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #443 on: November 27, 2021, 06:32:17 AM »
Your LAV-25 is off to a good start! Those AFV Club add-on kits are a great source of extra bits.

You've already applied the sides but you can trace the sides onto sheet styrene and make the left side. Adding all the extra bolts and details would be tedious, but you can also just make two sides - left and right - and add only the details that you need. The turret armor and M61 look great; the Biushmaster and M61 are roughly the same size/weight so it looks like a good replacement.

Thanks! The AFV Stryker sides are only taped on for test fitting. I did already cut them up though. Tracing the hull side is a good idea but the AFV Stryker hull sides have a lot of detail that I wouldn't have if I scratch built one. I could cut the bolts off the AFV parts but it still wouldn't match the other side.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #444 on: November 27, 2021, 06:36:29 AM »
Besides the AFV Stryker hull sides, I found a left over armor plate part from the Trumpeter B1 Centauro.

I cut it up and fit it to the front of the upper hull. I also got a little more done with the AFV Stryker hull sides.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #445 on: November 27, 2021, 07:29:04 AM »
I have more left-over Stryker bits than any sane person could find a use for (Luckily I'm not! ;D) in my parts stash after building this;

M1137A3 High Mobility Battlefield Logistics Transport

... Plus six different variants as full kits in the Armour Stash(TM).

Really like the look of this AFV - Do you have any more info?

It looks, at least partially, CGI.

Really liking where the Landy's going & this new build looks like it's going to be even better! :D 8) :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #446 on: November 27, 2021, 07:51:11 AM »
I have more left-over Stryker bits than any sane person could find a use for (Luckily I'm not! ;D) in my parts stash after building this;

M1137A3 High Mobility Battlefield Logistics Transport

Really liking where the Landy's going & this new build looks like it's going to be even better! :D 8) :smiley:

That's a really cool looking build! It came out great!

Lucky you having so many left over parts! I am sure you will find something to use them on. You have great ideas and great builds. I just got back into armor in 2018 and had to build up my stash as I had sold all my armor kits from 2008 to 2012. While I did build back my armor stash, I don't have as much as I would like to do full kit bashing like you did.

Thanks! The Landy is almost ready for paint but I can't paint until next year in the spring and summer so it is on hold for now. Hoping to get the what if LAV ready for paint too so mostly working on that one lately.

I found that sci fi LAV artwork from Artstation. Here is the link.
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/YKnqV

This link has different views. Scroll to the right to see a couple more images.
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/lRQLk

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #447 on: November 27, 2021, 06:56:22 PM »
I noticed that the artist mirrored the image.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #448 on: November 27, 2021, 10:32:53 PM »
I noticed that the artist mirrored the image.

Yes, that's weird that he mirrored it.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #449 on: November 27, 2021, 10:34:16 PM »
Taped the turret together to test fit the M61 gun.

Turret test fitted to the hull.