Author Topic: Just another Mars Landing Gizmo - 1/35 with some Revell parts  (Read 2851 times)

Offline Antonio Sobral

• Building and painting tiny little things!
  • Greetings from Portugal
Yep, another one  ;)

It all started when I bought "half a kit" from a friend of mine,a few month ago.

What do I mean by "half a kit"?

Well, the kit was this:

And I bought just the parts necessary to do this bit:

So, I ended up this this bunch of sprues:

And instead of building the whole thing together, I decided to separate it in two. The ascent module will be later used in another project.

The descent module parts were heavily modified with some with evergreen and spare box bits, to produce this Mars Landing Gizmo

The scale has changed from the original 1/48 to 1/35, and since I do not have  a suitable astronaut figure, I will have to convince an old Tamiya Vietnam soldier
to join the Space Corps, and to perform the necessary modifications.

Thanks for watching!

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
Re: Just another Mars Landing Gizmo - 1/35 with some Revell parts
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 03:50:04 AM »
Antonio - there's this Apollo astronaut that can be scaled down from 1/10 to 1/35. Max has some awesome space figures. I scaled this one to 1/35 and printed it in resin. The details are great. He also has a Shapeways page.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 06:14:47 AM »
I love your 1/35 Mars Landing Gizmo  :smiley:

Frank: Thanks for the Thingiverse link - I like his Advanced Crew Escape Suit (Pumpkin Suit) although it may be too chunky. Perhaps his NASA/MARK III/Mars Exploration Suit could be modified (change the 'port' bit into a backpack?).

Antonio: If you go for a modified Tamiya figure, NASA's Z2 suit has a fairly simple form (probably could be modelled with putty over your Vietnam guy's ODs). Mind you, that Z2 has also got a bit of a Y-fronts-over-gym shorts look about it ;p

I rather like the reddish suit on the left (which is some kind of non-NASA design exercise). Makes me think of a chunkier version of Mark Whatney's suit (which I also liked). Reinforcing bands could be tricky - maybe done with strips of black decal material?
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 06:48:13 AM »
Stephen, Max has this Mars suit which can probably be modified to match Potato Boy Whatney's suit.
This is his crew escape, scaled down to 1/35:

The abomination next to him is my attempt at a 1/35 scale figure. Something happened to the original file and his mouth printed hollow.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 02:52:13 AM »
Thanks Frank. Max Grueter's figure works very well at 1/35  :smiley:

As to your "abomination" ... with that clear resin, the hollow-printed mouth does give a very odd effect. That said, the pose is excellent! Having seen your putty overalls work, I'd say that 'Mr. Abom' would make an excellent substrate for your custom tailoring  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Antonio Sobral

• Building and painting tiny little things!
  • Greetings from Portugal
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 07:25:36 PM »
HI guys

Thanks for the feedback!

But I am thinking about using what I have in the spare box, according to my financial advisor :)

First I modifed the head, using CA glue, talcum powder and some sanding to achieve something close to an "helmet".

They I just added  small bits of evergreen and some wire:

Still needs some retouching, but the basic shape is done.

Thanks for watching!

Offline apophenia

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 12:37:20 AM »
... I am thinking about using what I have in the spare box, according to my financial advisor :)

;D ;D   Looking good  :smiley:

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 01:24:02 AM »
Looks good! CA + Talcum powder is great stuff. The original figure looks like an older Tamiya tank commander figure - the Frankenstein boots looked ridiculous on a tanker but look great on an astronaut.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2020, 06:40:01 AM »
Certainly looks the business, so well done with the new ascent stage area.