Author Topic: City Line Airship Taxi from a HobbyBoss Yuan class sub  (Read 5753 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
City Line Airship Taxi from a HobbyBoss Yuan class sub
« on: February 05, 2012, 01:10:20 AM »
The 1920s were a time of tremendous growth in U.S. cities and also in traffic congestion. With most of New York City streets gridlocked, a solution had to be found.

Fortunately, the boom of the 1920s also led to a boom in airships. With experience gained building blimps for the U.S. Navy during the Great War, the firm of Biggun, Magnum & Wassen, or BMW for short, decided to market their 328 B airship recently rejected by the Navy for passenger service. The new airship taxi company, City Line, purchased the first 328 B BMW off the line and began offering commuters a new way to get around the Big Apple.

Continued...

Brian da Basher

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: City Line Airship Taxi from a HobbyBoss Yuan class sub
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 01:26:08 AM »
Business on morning flights was steady, but evening rush hour service and night flights were the most popular. This was due to recessed lighting outside the cabin which not only made the airship gleam like a precious gem, but lit up the city below for astonished passengers.

This suited Great War veteran blimp pilot and insomniac Travis Bickle well. He took the helm of City Line's N322F and soon gained a reputation as a fearless professional who braved all weathers and never failed to cruise as low as possible to give his passengers the best view. Perhaps Travis Bickle's only shortcoming was poor hearing caused by too much depth charge training during his time in the Navy. When members of his crew would ask questions, he'd reply "You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? Then who the hell else are you talking... you talking to me?!!"

Unfortunately, a  series of bad dates made Travis lose it and he was summarily dismissed from City Line after showing up for work with his head shaved in a mohawk. It was all for the best as airship taxis were so popular that traffic congestion from the ground migrated to the air and a permanent solution to the gridlock wasn't found until the introduction of personal jet-packs in the 1960s.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 01:37:59 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 01:30:45 AM »
The basis for this project is a HobbyBoss Yuan sub which should look like this:

Oops.

I flipped it upside down and added the gondola from a Revell Hindenburg kit and the thrusters from a Revell Zeppelin NT kit for engine nacelles. The rudders were cut from cardstock and the prop discs were cut from clear plastic. The decals are mostly from a 1/144 Minicraft Flying Tiger Line 707. I hope you enjoyed my City Line airship taxi and the story of Capt. Travis Bickle.

Brian da Basher

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 01:31:34 AM »
NIce work Brian!  Definitely not an out of the box production ;)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 02:26:11 AM »
I'm really glad you like it, Mr Fontaine. Be sure to keep an eye out for the forthcoming film about Travis Bickle: "Airship Taxi Driver".

Brian da Basher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 04:10:37 AM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Alvis 3.1

• Self acknowledged "Bad Influence"…but probably less attractive than Pink
  • The high priest of whiffing
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 04:42:38 AM »
Great model, even better back stories! I'm really liking these movie-based characters.

Alvis 3.1

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 05:04:59 AM »
Hi Brian:

Do you happen to have a family portrait of your hydrogen and helium filled household?

Carl
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 09:42:45 PM »
Brilliant!  :)
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline JP Vieira

• The Challenge Master!!!
    • What-If World
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 09:46:27 PM »
Great one!

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 01:45:27 AM »
The pusher engines look great! I would have expected some yellow or a checkerboard somewhere, though.