Modelling > Scenarios

Best Air Superiority Fighter, 1956-1968

<< < (3/20) > >>

Old Wombat:
OK, now I know the A-4 isn't in the parameters of this discussion but I would like to point out that the RAAF Mirage III pilots were, from what I've been told (no documentary proof, sorry), less than willing to take on the RAN's A-4's in air-to-air combat.

For starters, with a centre-line fuel tank, the RAN's A-4's could carry 4 x AIM-9's. Apparently they had a nasty tendency to break the Mirages' missile lock &, when engaging in guns-on dog-fighting, they'd turn inside the Mirages, when they were trying to use their greater speed, & drag them into sub-sonic engagement, where they'd crawl all over them.

My point being, the Mirage had/has weaknesses & decent pilots in technically inferior aircraft could exploit them.

Rickshaw:

--- Quote from: Old Wombat on January 09, 2018, 12:11:45 PM ---
--- Quote from: Rickshaw on January 09, 2018, 10:43:39 AM ---... Despite what you claim, Jon, ...

--- End quote ---

[whisper]I think you mean "Logan", mate![/whisper]

--- End quote ---

Ooops!  Corrected.

Volkodav:
How about the F-11F / F-11 Tiger as opposed to the Super Tiger? 

I know it was slower than the other types mentioned (bar the Scooter and Skyray) and lacked a radar but was designed to be fitted with one and could easily have been re-engined with something more powerful as seem with the Super Tiger.

M.A.D:
I'm hearing what you are say 're the Mirage III Logan, but would the Dassault Avon Mirage IIIO, as built and test, but not taken up quantify within your selection criteria?

Or what about the lighter de-carrierized Vought (or was it LTV) F-8 Crusader - the V-1000 quantify within your selection  criteria? Oh, hang on, wasn't the V-1000 about 1970? :-\

Or am I off target?

M.A.D

perttime:

--- Quote from: Rickshaw on January 09, 2018, 10:43:39 AM ---...
I am surprised that you've not included the F-5 in your list.  It was cheap, easily available and quite a good fighter.  It could carry as many missiles as the others (four) and with some tinkering I don't doubt it could carry more on multiple launchers.   It's guns were reliable.   What it lacked was a good radar.    It's range was also a bit limited without tanks.   It was quite a good air-superiority fighter and that was why it excelled in the Aggressor role.

--- End quote ---
The F-5 might lack top speed, compared with some other contenders. On the other hand, its size made it hard to detect, so they could more often take the opponent by surprise. Agility was good too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version