Author Topic: Claymore's AH AFVs: Take 2  (Read 140156 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: Claymore's AH AFVs: Take 2
« Reply #450 on: September 03, 2023, 10:25:29 PM »
Tow cables, a couple of equipment/tool bins, a couple of spare track links & a section on the front left track guard.

The old oxy's been busy! ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #451 on: September 03, 2023, 11:31:11 PM »
Tow cables, a couple of equipment/tool bins, a couple of spare track links & a section on the front left track guard.

The old oxy's been busy! ;)

Oh yes!  Might yet also remove the bins either side of the turret ring - haven’t quite made up my mind yet… 🤔
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline Claymore

« Reply #452 on: September 11, 2023, 02:30:26 AM »
M48/IS-3 Hybrid Update:

A little further having had to wait for a photo etched after-market set from Eduard to be delivered. All side stowage boxes have been removed and replaced as the originals were just not up to how I want the final model to look. I am generally not a great fan of photo etched brass as it can be a complete bugger to fold and glue all the components without the parts either buckling, fingers being sliced or various parts of the body being super-glued to random brass do-dahs! Anyhoo, these seemed to have worked out quite well - the joys of retirement and having the time to do things properly, I guess!!

« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 11:43:26 PM by Claymore »

Offline Claymore

« Reply #453 on: September 11, 2023, 02:37:45 AM »
Romfell Armoured Car Update:

I have accepted the challenge of building a friend from alternativehistory.com's post-WW1 Romfell Armoured Car - specifically the Hačur ("Stallion") anti-tank armoured car / Kobula ("Mare") light APC / assault armoured car. The two variants are very similar with the only external difference being the armament (AT Rifle in the Stallion and an Mg in the Mare). I should be able to represent both with a single model but with a choice of turrets. I think I have all the necessary bits, but the build should be 'fun' as I haven't done such an early AH armoured car before... 🤞

This is the kit I will be using to construct said post-war Romfell AC - might as well start with the OTL vehicle!

The engine is built but not yet actually glued in place and the chassis sub-frame has not yet been extended.  The CSM kit is proving to be excellent with an instruction booklet that is a work of art in itself.

A bit further on the Romfell armoured car. The extended side plates have been fabricated and a few adjustments made but they have not yet been glued in place. Every measurement and every cut is super complex as absolutely no two edges are square and most of the surfaces are curved!! Lordy, lordy!

« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 01:29:56 AM by Claymore »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #454 on: September 11, 2023, 04:42:50 PM »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #455 on: September 12, 2023, 09:44:00 PM »

Pass that bucket o' popcorn...that is a mighty long barreled AT rifle...

Offline Claymore

« Reply #456 on: September 12, 2023, 11:43:05 PM »
Yup, the author got a little carried away me thinks!  In the end, however, I will build and he will get a vehicle with an AT rifle of realistic proportions.  ;)

Offline Claymore

« Reply #457 on: September 12, 2023, 11:45:36 PM »
Romfell V2.0 Armoured Car Update:

She is, at last, starting to look a little more like Mr Petike's original drawings - although there is still a long way to go. The rear extension and extended roof are in place as is the initial construction of the first turret. There is still lots of filling and sanding required, particularly round the rear end, before I move on to tackling the undercarriage - I can see that being 'fun'...  :o ;)

Here are some further WIP pics...

« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 01:31:19 AM by Claymore »

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #458 on: September 13, 2023, 03:47:44 AM »
Coming together well  :smiley:
Do keep posting !

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #459 on: September 13, 2023, 06:45:09 AM »
The WW1 Armoured car is a bit out of my zone as well, but enjoying what you do

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #460 on: September 13, 2023, 11:37:23 AM »
How did you make the extended side plates? This armored car looks like it came out of some steam punk comic book. Just needs some random gears stuck on.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #461 on: September 13, 2023, 04:43:51 PM »
How did you make the extended side plates? This armored car looks like it came out of some steam punk comic book. Just needs some random gears stuck on.

I was just thinking that in the front quarter views it looks a lot like a steam engine! ;D

Yup, the author got a little carried away me thinks!  In the end, however, I will build and he will get a vehicle with an AT rifle of realistic proportions.  ;)

I dunno, some of those old anti-tank rifles were pretty bloody long! :o

Lengths & Weights (in metric):

Offline Claymore

« Reply #462 on: September 14, 2023, 05:48:22 AM »

Fortunately, I had a couple of Romfell AC models to play with - so one became the base and the other the sacrificial offering! Helps some but still a lot of hacking required.

I was just thinking that in the front quarter views it looks a lot like a steam engine! ;D

I dunno, some of those old anti-tank rifles were pretty bloody long! :o

Funnily enough, Mrs Claymore said exactly the same thing - she’s clearly a closet steam train spotter!  :o

I have a PTRD41 available which although a bit too modern for the timeframe, will nevertheless look the part.  :smiley:

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #463 on: September 14, 2023, 10:34:57 AM »
I presume there will be infantry doors at the back ?  The original Romfel had a curved pointy rear > which to me looks sexier.

Offline Claymore

« Reply #464 on: September 15, 2023, 12:27:30 AM »
There will indeed.  The designer’s premise is that this is a post-war development of the original Romfell armoured car - lengthened to carry a half section; in some cases, heavier AT armament; better armour; and easier construction.  The odd (and strangely convoluted) rear end which housed the fuel tank in the original vehicle has been transformed into a lengthened troop compartment with hinged access doors - twin fuel tanks now under the troop compartment seats.

Other than a few practicalities, I will be leaving the build exactly as per the author’s instructions/intent in order to fit with his AH storyboard.

Offline Claymore

« Reply #465 on: September 22, 2023, 11:42:04 PM »

Having been away for over a week at the wedding of a family friend's daughter (down in deepest, darkest Englandshire) and then the funeral of an aged cousin in Glasgow, I have been catching up a bit with the Romfell V2.0.

The desired build calls for the OTL wheels, which are a bit on the thin side, to be fattened up a little - or quite a lot. This is proving to be no straight forward task as the general look of the OTL wheels to be maintained - I tried various combinations of later pneumatic tyres but either didn't have a set of 6 and/or concluded that they just weren't in keeping with the overall look. So back to the drawing board and first principles - if in doubt, attack it with a razor saw!

This may sound a little on the harsh side and positively dangerous given my track record of slicing into the end of my fingers but, as they say, needs must when the devil drives! The kit wheels (front and back) come in two pieces but, importantly, the tyre itself is moulded as a single component of one of the wheel halves. Looking at the design diagram, I need to widen said tyre by 1.5mm - this necessitates having to cut the kit part in half and insert a plastic card filler (see pics below) - joy!!!

Five down and one to go - all digits still attached and blood still pumping continuously round the old bod...  :o

« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 01:31:49 AM by Claymore »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #466 on: September 23, 2023, 12:29:26 AM »
The new tires look good, despite the lack of blood sacrifice!

Offline Claymore

« Reply #467 on: September 23, 2023, 12:37:10 AM »
The new tires look good, despite the lack of blood sacrifice!

;D :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #468 on: September 23, 2023, 05:48:38 PM »
I would ask how you managed that but don't wish to have you question the will & whim of the Goddess Styrene, so I won't.

Congratulations on your achievement! :smiley:

Offline Claymore

« Reply #469 on: September 23, 2023, 06:14:04 PM »
The difficult bit, and that which would have had the Health and Safety ninjas in a fit of apoplexy, was holding the wheel/tyre casting between the thumb and forefinger of my left hand while carefully sawing through it with a razor saw held in my right hand - Note on Razor Saws: the definitive instrument Rutherford used to split the atom!

Clearly, the gods were smiling down on me as I managed to complete the task without recourse to the Accident & Emergency department of our local hospital!!  ;)

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #470 on: September 24, 2023, 06:28:54 AM »
The difficult bit, and that which would have had the Health and Safety ninjas in a fit of apoplexy, was holding the wheel/tyre casting between the thumb and forefinger of my left hand while carefully sawing through it with a razor saw held in my right hand - Note on Razor Saws: the definitive instrument Rutherford used to split the atom!

And you got it all straight  :o
Great work.. probably worth a couple of Ooohmms   :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza:

Offline Claymore

« Reply #471 on: September 24, 2023, 07:18:14 AM »
More or less, but nothing that I little bit of filler couldn’t sort out.  ;)

Offline Claymore

« Reply #472 on: September 25, 2023, 10:13:10 PM »

Here are the latest WIP pics of the Romfell V2.0 with the build more or less complete and sporting the AT Rifle turret. The AT rifle is actually a Russian PTRD-41, so a bit out of time but representative of the bolt action weapons of the period. I have added a few figures for scale (please ignore WW2 uniform - if I decide to keep them, they will be equipped and painted to reflect the TL that inspired the model).

The only things still to be put in place are the headlamp glasses and a few rivets on the rear panel. The next stage is sending her off to the paint shop for a consolidating undercoat - I won't be completing the headlamps until much closer to final paint job for fear of damaging them.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 01:33:24 AM by Claymore »

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #473 on: September 26, 2023, 12:01:21 AM »
Getting WWI/Interwar period MRAP vibes from this. It looks awesome!

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #474 on: September 26, 2023, 05:16:57 PM »
Coming along nicely! :smiley:

Just don't take it off-road until they invent muddies for it! ;D ;)