Modelling > Land

Unmanned Turret, Oscillating Turret, and Low-Profile Turret for AFVs

(1/7) > >>

dy031101:
Would someone be able to identify the model in the attachment i.e. is it an actual paper project?

--- Quote from: Weaver on June 15, 2015, 05:56:59 AM ---
--- Quote from: Ifor on June 15, 2015, 05:24:35 AM ---Weaver thank you.
I always wondered about the efficacy of a system that has a canvas cover like the AMX. Wouldn't it have even been vulnerable to small arms fire?

--- End quote ---

Indeed. The armour overlaps so the bullet can't get through to the interior, but it still rips the fabric. Of course all fabric mantle covers have this issue, but the AMX-type turret has a lot more square footage of it than most.

--- End quote ---

Can some sort of a bullet- and shrapnel-resistant fabric cover be practically implemented to protect the gun breech of this model at maximum gun depression?  Would such a tank be able to use pressurized NBC system, or would the breech cover still cause as much problem as the AMX-13 has?

Old Wombat:
Don't quote me but I'm pretty sure most canvas breech covers are for improved dust & water resistance, rather than any camouflaging of weak points.

However, I can't see a problem with using a Kevlar cloth or going future-tech & using flexible boron carbide (link)

dy031101:

--- Quote from: Old Wombat on March 14, 2016, 05:15:22 PM ---Don't quote me but I'm pretty sure most canvas breech covers are for improved dust & water resistance, rather than any camouflaging of weak points.
--- End quote ---

I've been under the impression of that, too.  When I said "protect" in the thread OP I meant in terms of NBC defense, and bullet & shrapnel resistance was brought up as an inquiry on how well that breech cover can be made to hold up in combat under NBC conditions even though, granted, that tank's arrangement doesn't seem to expose as much fabrics when the gun is depressed as an AMX-13 or SK-105.

Unless some sort of an extra measure can be implemented between the gun breech and the autoloader (I see the gunner's sight to the turret's left hand side, which suggests that the tank is equipped with one)......

Jacques Deguerre:
The model in the attached photo was a proposed Leopard 2 spin off that was intended to be smaller, lighter and have a lower turret profile. The section of roof over the gun would move so that the maximum elevation and especially depression weren't limited by the lower turret. I'm not sure of the actual name of the project so I labeled the images I saved on my desktop as "Wegmann Leo" (the W in KMW).

jcf:
If the turret is unmanned, autoloading and oscillating, NBC defense would be fairly simple. The turret would sit in
a well completely separated from the crewed area.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version