Author Topic: 1/700 RAN CEAFAR Mast  (Read 4106 times)

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
1/700 RAN CEAFAR Mast
« on: March 29, 2014, 09:31:49 PM »
1/700 CEAFAR mast as being retro fitted to the RAN ANZAC Class Frigates.  This system is ground breaking and it has occurred to me would be suitable for retrofit to a variety of other ships used by other navies as well as the RAN or whiffed anywhere any time.  There are a number of ships I have that I am currently looking to wiff into my ALT RAN that this mast would work well on I just need the masts.

Thinking OZMODS and Uncle Les here, more talented and skilled individuals than myself, how much would it cost to do and would it be marketable to serious individuals as well as to the seriously deranged such as myself.  ;)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: 1/700 RAN CEAFAR Mast
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 03:45:01 AM »
For those unsure what the CEA FAR mast (though I understand, the term "citadel" is more accurate) is, please note the following pics.  The "citadel" is the multifaceted tower just in front of the exhaust stacks:

And a little more detailed:

The CEA FAR radar is designed and produced by the Australian company, CEA Technologies PTY Limited.  It is an active phased array radar and is under consideration for multiple vessels including some in the USN such as the Littoral Combat Ships.  The radar can be used in multiple forms and not just the 6 panelled citadel shown.

And yes, I know a little bit about this one since my team has produced parts for it. ;)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 03:52:21 AM »
Oh, and yes, I agree that a resin set for it would be useful, especially for any RAN modellers interested in the ANZAC class.  I believe a 1/350 scale might be more useful though since there is the FleetLine Models kit of the ANZAC class in this scale.

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 05:23:35 AM »
Thanks Greg, didn't know there was a 1/350 ANZAC coming out, double thanks.  I was actually thinking in terms of a more advanced FFGUP, a RAN KIDD modernization, a retofit to the Canberra class (Orange Hobby JCS 1) may RAN Wasp Class LHD into light carrier bash and my Spruance class DDH / APD bash.

Purely selfish :D

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 05:41:14 AM »
Good points.

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 07:44:54 AM »
Seriously contemplating a CAD/CAM setup and a 3D printer if I can get the finances sorted as well as looking at enrolling in some courses of study.  Just waiting on legal advice and some insurance decisions to determine what we can afford to do.  If it all pans out I'll be well and truly entertained and make my own bits and bobs.  25mm Typhoon, RAM and Nulka for my entire fleet I think.  May even look at Super Ikara and a decent Mk13 with realistic looking missiles, bit over the old chunky Skywave stuff.

Raving and reaming now but you what I mean, you look at what's available in some modern kits and just wish you could get the same detail and definition in all your favourite stuff.

I wonder how long until Trumpeter or Academy does some more RN stuff WWI, II, post war and modern.  1/700 (and 1/350) would be great, Vanguard, Arkroyal(s), Eagles(s), County(s) Leander(s), Didos, Implacables, CTOL Hermes, Centaur, Albion and Bulwark, Commando carrier conversions, lots of RN cruisers, through to the Tigers, Broadswords, Bristol, and not forgetting a range of Collossus and Majestices covering WWII, Korea, Vietnam straight and angle deck variants you know the whole lot,  ;D

I wish you could just get the various systems to mix and match what you want, the correct basic turret and weapon mounts, I know some are available but I am greedy.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 07:55:13 AM by Volkodav »