Author Topic: Endzeit - Porsche 911 "Zombinator"  (Read 10995 times)

Offline MaxHeadroom

• The man has built a jet Stuka, need we say more?
Endzeit - Porsche 911 "Zombinator"
« on: December 01, 2013, 06:08:32 AM »
("Endzeit" = german for: "after the apocalypse" - - - sorry, I don't know an english expression for "Endzeit")

Dear friends!
Now I will show you my actual project.
Once in the mid/end 70s, I'd bought a Revell-Porsche 911 (Kit H-1400) in 1:25 scale and... I was young... I beg for apologize. ;)

Watching the TV-show "The Walking Dead", I was inspired to create a "my car is my castle"-model.

Here's the story behind:
Once upon a time there was a strange pandemia, making the most of the people living deads.
Some of the not ill people were on their own and suddenly lived in a dangerous and violent surrounding.
One of them, let me call him Mr. J. D. (to secure his privacy), was a mid/end thirty-something and a enthusiast of older/vintage cars.
Not long before the rising of the Zombie-pandemia he had fullfilled himself a dream of his youth: to buy and to restore an old Porsche 911 F-model from 1969.
During the first days of the apocalyptic change of the world, he had made his home a fortress.
Once, J. D. recognized, he must go outside to survive.
So, with a bleeding heart, he went to his garage and changed his 911 from a jewel into a rolling fortress.
His garage was equipped with all the tools me need and with a lot of materials to converse his Porsche.

And this is the illustrated report, how I built the 911-Zombinator:
First of all, I'd de-assembled the old Porsche and cleaned the parts from old glue:

Unfortunately some very thin parts were broken, but to reunite them will be not a problem.
I also have to clean and to polish all windows before I can use them again.

Max
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 06:27:30 AM by MaxHeadroom »

Offline MaxHeadroom

Re: Endzeit - Porsche 911 "Zombinator"
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 06:09:46 AM »
Go for it!
"Mad" Max Headroom ;) has cleaned and swept out the garage and started: tools, glue, spareparts, plasticsheets and so on the table and go!

And these are the pics of the first steps:

After opening the baggage compartement/the front hood with the help of my new precision-saw, I cutted some pieces of sheets to up-size it's capacity.

And with the hood (will be made movable):

After, I have extend the shock absorbers for 4 mm:

This is related to the scale (1:25) 10 cm in reality.

But there is more to do!
The combined part "tunnel between the seats/rear-wheels-suspension" I had to make apart to re-fix it later in a wider angle:

My box with old sprues, I used for the extensions:

The rest of the suspension parts:

Right and left parts for the front-suspension (a), middle/above the bar of the rear shockabsorbers (b) and middle/below the rear axles (c).
For "a" I have to made some distance-blocks to place between the suspension and the underbody (4 mm --> 10 cm), the "b" can be right the way it is and to extend "c" is not realistic, so because of the relation of the parts, the geometry of the rear suspension will lead to a shorter distance between the right and the left rear-wheel.

The parts of the engine and the (black) exhaust-pipe:

I have to modify the exhaust-pipe!
This one above didn't have a silencer and this fact causes bad luck for the driver, because zombies becomes curious if they hear some noise!
I have to google for an original Porsche-exhaust-pipe.
Also for a trailer-coupling. I will add this, because it could be useful. Couldn't it?

On the left one of the original seats:

The right one, I have found in my spare-parts box and will use it.

These are some parts of the original kit-wheels:

And this, I also have found:

Four rims (I don't know, if I will use) and 4 tires, not so broad as the Porsche-tires but maybe better, because of the more rugged tread (as you can see).
I will think over.

But what will be, if you see, that the original direction-indicators and the taillights are made by clear seethrough-plastic and you have used simple orange and red color to paint them, and now you want to have orange and red seethrough-plastic?

So simple:
You have to remember two things.
First, to have had such a car in the past:

Second, to remember there must be an old taillight somewhere in a dark corner and to find it and bring it back into daylight.
This one:

Before remembering I had planned to keep my eyes open to find some coloured splinters of taillights laying abandoned in a ditch somewhere (after a car-accident).
This isn't neccessary anymore. Good!
Now I can carve, what I need. ;)

Max

Offline MaxHeadroom

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 06:12:54 AM »
And the last state of the art:

The next step to highen up the suspension.
After extending the schock-absorbers the bars for the wheels were the next duty.
In front with some blocks to rise the body and in the rear with the new angle of the suspension.

An overview:

The front from the side-front:

And from behind:

The rear from the side-front:

Inspite of the rear-window I have set in a trough:

After this I've built two "steel"-barrels:

After investigation about barrels, I see that barrels of 100 l, 200 l, 50 Gallons = 216 l and 220 l were too high to place them crosswise into the window-gap.
So I'd built two barrels of 60 l each. These I can place side by side in direction of travel into the trough.
Now I have two additional tanks of a good dimension. They will be filled up by the nozzles aside and connected to the fuel-system by the cover-nozzles at the top.
I used a 5-ml-syringe for the body of the barrels, because it's diameter is precisely the scaled diameter of a real 60-l-barrel.

To replace the rear window, I will put a rear-view-camera at the engines bonnet and connect it with a screen at the dashboard.

That's all for today.

Max

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
  • Lost but now foun .... nope - still lost!
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 06:22:12 AM »
Very cool start to your castle!!!!  8)
I just love seeing the stripping down and rebuilding of old kits .......

cheers
Brent

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 11:12:23 AM »
Yay... more post apocalyptic goodness.

Please proceed sir!

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 11:35:21 AM »
("Endzeit" = german for: "after the apocalypse" - - - sorry, I don't know an english expression for Endzeit")
Loose translation would be "End Time" or perhaps end times. 

Very nice model restoration you are undertaking Max, no need to apologize for such a feat.  A lot of people would not consider doing such a thing so you are one of the few that has the courage to do so. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Panzerroland

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 11:06:08 PM »
Hi Max,

nice to see you here at "Beyond The Sprues"!!  I´am looking forward to see how you "Zombinator" finished.

Regards
Roland

Offline MaxHeadroom

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 06:34:15 AM »
Thank you Roland. Look at DMMB, there my report is some steps forward, because at the moment I don't have much time - so I use my time to build the Zombinator instead of writing the english description for the pictures to continue here at "sprues".
Sorry!

But I promise to actualize this thread in some days!

Max

Offline MaxHeadroom

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 05:28:57 AM »
I spent my time making some equipment for the Porsche (completely scratch-build).

To set the mood an overview:

And now one by one.
First of all a CB-Radio:

Scaled after an example from the real life (stored in my basement) with an on/off/volume knob, a switch to select the channel and a (red) display. The "display" was an old decal to have sharp edges and paralell lines. The print on the decal is too small (it was a 1:72-scale-decal for a plane) to recognize it later, when the radio is put at it's place in the Porsche!
In adition, the radio has a flexible spiral cable with a microphone at it's end and a red and a white ("plus" and "minus") cable to connect it with the car's electric system.
An antenna will also be build in the near future.

Next is a GPS-navigation-system (sorry for the bad pic):

As state of the art, the screen has a  rubber sucker for fixing it at the frontscreen and as a connection between a "Schwanenhals" ("Gooseneck"?) to bring it into the right position related to the driver. Like in real life the screen has a black cable to connect it to the cigaret-lighter and also to the car's electric system to re-charge it's accumulator.
O.k., the world's man-made infrastructures were collapsed step-by-step when the zombified population grows, but not all of!
The satellites around the earth were still in it's orbits and so are the GPS-satellites.
They will work further on for years until they lost their energy to hold their position. But because they were extraordinary expensive, it will last a long, long time.
So a survivor would be mad, if he didn't used this service, wouldn't he?

And finally the screen for the reversing-camera:

It was nearly the same way to make like the GPS-screen:
The screen was made of transparent-grey plastic from an old bowl of a juicer, framed by thin strips of plasticsheet.
The frame of the GPS-screen was painted by bright black and the cam-screen was covered by aluminium foil from our kitchen.
Both backsides are painted by bright black.
Maybe I will add a DVD-player to connect the reverse-screen to the player occasionally to give the driver the opportunity to watch some films/movies from time to time. ;)

That's all for today.

Max
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 05:38:41 AM by MaxHeadroom »

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 10:28:05 AM »
details, details.. .. loving it 8)

Offline MaxHeadroom

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 02:34:36 AM »
Look, what I've done with the additional equipment.

Three views of the dashboard (No 1):

Right the way of a photograph of an original Porsche 911 F-Model dashboard of 1969 with the real-wood-veneer.
I just have to think over, where to fix the microphone.
Sorry, I'd just seen on the pic, the bracket/the holder of the reverse-screen is abit crooked – I will correct it, I promise!
The bracket/holder is made of a small strip of a aluminium-tea-light (as you see on the right).

No 2:

There you see an edge of the holder of the CB-radio.
Surely, I didn't glued it the simple way directly under the dashboard... no, no, no!
I used a small strip of the contact area of an old bank-card as the holder, fixed the holder to the radio and glued the radio by using the holder like in reality under the dashboard.
On the right you see the wheel's suspension, the shockabsorber and the disk-brake: I used a self-glueing ring for thin papers (to put in an old-fashioned file) to paint the black circle in the middle.

No 3 (from the left):

Sorry, I just seen on the pic some impurities of the painting... I will correct it.
And I will add the Porsche-blazon in the middle of the steering-wheel later.

The dashboard was painted by mat-black and mat-brown and gets it's original shining by using gloss-sealant for cleaning floors.

That's it for today.

Max
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 02:36:27 AM by MaxHeadroom »

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 11:56:12 AM »
Nice work on the dash Max! The woodgrain looks particularly good .........

cheers
Brent

Offline MaxHeadroom

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 04:30:05 AM »
Continued, part 1/3:

After I'd added the underbody protection, I suddenly remembered, the  petrol-tank is at the front of each Porsche 911!
O.k., I'd thought, I have lifted the wheel-suspension.
But then: "This is not enough!"
There must be an additional protection.

So I declared some pieces of copper wire-sticks to steel bars and positioned them to "weld" them later. ;) :

and

The wires are scaled to 3 cm in diameter.

And a pass sample with the cow-bar, additional rear-bumper and the bars for the rear-wheels:

I a supermarket, I'd bought something (€ 3,99) to use as the guards for the windows and lamps:

and

The 1 mm meshes are upscaled 2.5 cm wide.

Max
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 05:36:00 AM by MaxHeadroom »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 04:42:16 AM »
Max,

There is a mesh net fabric that you can find at most fabric stores that has a similar mesh size but much easier to work with called Tulle Netting.  No idea what it would be called or described as in Europe but it is found at most fabric stores in bolts and can be cut to lengths that can be carried away in your pocket for just a fraction of what you paid for that hand-held seive in your last post.  Being an easily to work with fabric also means that you do not have to worry about metal splinters or shards being discovered later on when you are walking around bare foot in your flat :)

Tulle netting is also available in a variety of colors so you can expect to find Black, White, Silver, Red, and possibly Blue to choose from. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline MaxHeadroom

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 04:48:14 AM »
Sorry, to upload part 2 doesn't work.  :(
I will try later again.

Max

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2013, 05:08:15 AM »
Sorry, to upload part 2 doesn't work.  :(
I will try later again.

Max

Try splitting it until two (thus having a Part 2 & a Part 3)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline MaxHeadroom

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2013, 05:32:51 AM »
Part 2/3:

And now to the body:

This is when 40 y.o. plastic becomes brittle while decolorizing it:

Never mind!
There is something, invited looong ago and it will helps: glue! ;)

Now, after the body is finally cleaned and the fractures are re-fixed:

The parts of the body primed by a spray-can:

And now coloured (from below):

(and from above:)

Now, you see, the car's name will be "Kermit, the Zombiekiller"! LOL

Max

Offline MaxHeadroom

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2013, 05:34:19 AM »
Part 3/3:

The "welds"; 30 at the zombiebar and 2 at the rear bumper:

The trough (inside and around the frame of the rear window):

Two short welds at the edge(s) of the baggage-compartment-extension:

(The other welds will be invisible, 'cause they will be inside.)

And this was my material:

Householdglue (semi-fluent) and yarn (nearly the perfect structure and close to the correct size/scale).
But: it must be unwaxed yarn, otherwise it is much too stiff for working with it easily!

That's all for today.

Will be continued...

Max

P.S.: Thx Greg!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 01:31:19 PM by MaxHeadroom »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2013, 05:35:50 AM »
 :)

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2013, 11:40:12 AM »
Looking good Max!

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2013, 01:59:20 PM »
[Miss Piggy voice]Kermie, I love you![/Miss Piggy voice]

Looking great, Max! :D

:)

Guy
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline MaxHeadroom

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2014, 02:22:31 AM »
I'm verrry sad, because since my last post, I can't upload new parts of this report without having MASSIVE problems!
Every time I'd tried, it needs soooo much time and I allways interrupt the upload after uncount minutes, being pissed! (Sorry)
I'd tried IE, Safari, Firefox, Opera and Chrome... always the same crap!

Max

Offline MaxHeadroom

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2014, 05:22:53 AM »
In addition, I'm sad about the fact, told above, because I have met a number of interesting people of the same or a similar mind here and in the past I correspond with them in my threads with joy!

Max

P.S.:
And if my problem once will be solved, I'm glad to continue posting at BtS to talk with you, to get and to give experience and hints and so on.
In future, I won't continue using my nickname "Max(Headroom)" to sign my posts, I will use my real name "Norbert"!

Norbert

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2014, 02:30:59 AM »
PM incoming - let's see if we can solve this issue.

Offline uncle les

• Aussie Whiffer Extraordinaire!
  • The man behind the models of the same name...
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2014, 04:38:30 PM »
I sincerely hope we can sort this as I'm keen to see more.   There is always the possibilty of just emailing some pics to the moderator or a willing third party who could post on your behalf ? - although this may meet with the same problem if it's an upload issue.  Anyhow, let's hope we see more.  :)