Author Topic: Airfix TSR-2  (Read 3427 times)

Offline theplasticsurgeon

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Airfix TSR-2
« on: November 11, 2013, 01:13:09 AM »
In a parallel universe far away the TSR-2 was developed to it's full potential, serving the RAF from 1970 thru to 1995. The TSR-2 title was dropped by BAC in favour of the name Eagle.
However as the initials imply, the aircraft was issued to Tactical RAF Squadrons in Germany, and to Strategic Squadrons in England. The models carried slightly different operational equipment, and crews trained with two disparate OCUs.
Tactical aircraft were equipped with laser ranging and targeting gear, and armed with conventional weaponry. They also carried wingtip Sidewinders for self defence. In respect of the different role there aircraft were unofficially know as Buzzards by their crews.
Strategic aircraft were Nuclear armed, with a refuelling probe in the nose, and secure satellite communications. In a bid of rivalry these aircraft were know a Venomous to their crews.
Other developments for the Eagle include a heavy duty field arrestor, and winch-in reconnaissance package that replaces the bomb-bay. Naturally each role had its own flavour of cameras and sensors.

First unarmed at rollout:

Equipment for the Venomous: Nose mounted refuelling probe, field arrestor gear. ground mapping radar, with optical sighting system,
massive underwing fuel tanks - oh and an internal nuclear bomb. Venomous very rarely flew with any other wing fittings.
Equipping 9, 35, 44, 50, 101 and 617 squadrons in Lincolnshire UK, aircraft are frequently deployed to far flung bases for dispersal purposes.
The underwing fuel tanks are so heavy, the aircraft has to launch with them empty, and refuel en-route to target - hence airborne refueling forms a major part of training.

Equipment for Buzzard: laser range-finding and targetting, optical sighting system, additional fuel in bomb-bay tank.
Ground attack weaponry of every variety on 4 underwing pylons, and tip mounted AIM-9s for self defence.
Buzzards rarely had need for airborne refuelling, so the probes are usually removed.
Equipping 1, 2, 3 , 4, 6, 17, 31, 41, and 54 squadrons in Germany and the UK, most training was done at very low level.

What you're going to see is the Airshow hybrid. Each year one aircraft is converted with combined features for publicity purposes.
The operating squadron varies, but is usually a tactical Buzzard squadron.

Another part of the story, is this display aircraft was operated by 617 Strategic squadron.
However due to global operational commitments at the height of the Cold War, the actual display aircraft was provided by 41Tactical Squadron, with various bits of both roles fitted.

And now the armed up look.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 09:34:31 PM by theplasticsurgeon »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Airfix TSR-2
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 02:14:38 AM »
Very nicely done.  Welcome aboard BTW.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 08:52:10 AM »
So much perfection and so many details cannot be fantasy, this was probably Real World but top secret, I am sure... ;)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 07:30:11 AM »
That's one very slick TSR-2! You really did a great job on that famous RAF camo!

Brian da Basher

Offline ChrisF

• Doesn't mind rough when he knows its gonna be rough...
  • Ham-fisted? Maybe. Master modeller? Definitely!
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 09:58:17 PM »
Lovely job !! Im also loving the name "Venomous" Since it would have fitted in with the v force for some time it just sounds so right.. I may have to steal that name for myself ;)

Offline mrvr6

• Accidentally created a Tejas….
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 11:11:30 PM »
venomous or vengeance i came up with

Offline ChrisF

• Doesn't mind rough when he knows its gonna be rough...
  • Ham-fisted? Maybe. Master modeller? Definitely!
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 09:10:10 AM »
Well i still love it  ;)