Author Topic: LF: 48th scale AIM-26 Falcon missiles  (Read 4397 times)

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
LF: 48th scale AIM-26 Falcon missiles
« on: February 01, 2013, 10:08:35 AM »
I am looking for some 1/48 scale AIM-26 Falcon missiles.  I need six in total.  I am aware that Maestro models in Sweden make some resin ones but I'd prefer to work in plastic.   Even one would be appreciated (if absolutely necessary I'll mould my own).
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 09:36:39 PM by Rickshaw »

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
Re: LF: 48th scale AIM-26 Falcon missiles
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 12:51:37 AM »
I am looking for some 1/48 scale AIM-26 Falcon missiles.  I need six in total.  I am aware that Maestro models in Sweden make some resin ones but I'd prefer to work in plastic.   Even one would be appreciated (if absolutely necessary I'll mould my own).

I have some AIM-4D and -4G Falcons from the Hasegawa set in 1/48.  Will those work? 

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 01:38:32 AM »

Squadron's True Details product line used to offer a very decent resin 1:48th scale AIM-26 shape for sale but it now appears to be unavailable which makes no sense at all.  Search for and try to network on-line to source a pair of these, you might get lucky and find some closer to home. 

IPMS Product Review: Squadron True Details 1:48th scale AIM-26 (TD48542)
Click on thumbnail or html to view article. 

I have some AIM-4D and -4G Falcons from the Hasegawa set in 1/48.  Will those work?

The physical size differences between the two Falcons is not so much on the length as it is on the girth.  Very little of the smaller in diameter AIM-4 could be used to create the lager in diameter and very "spindle" shaped body of the AIM-26.  Might be worth a shot to try and kit bash the AIM-4 with an AIR-2 Genie and even then it is going to need a lot of sculpting to get it right. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 10:05:18 PM »

The -4G will work just fine, as its similar to the shape I'm after.   I'll send you a PM with details.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 05:38:52 AM »
Seven years on since this topic was created.  Often wondered over the past couple of years about the availability of the True Details AIM-26 AAM kit as it has not been offered for quite some time now.  Called Squadron this afternoon to inquire about the item and was given what I think is an honest reply.  Item did not sell enough, moulds broke down too soon and product was discontinued because of these reasons.  A shame now that there are still two 48th scale kits that coiuld and did carry the AIM-26/RB-27 IRL (F-102 and J-35 Draken) now available but now no AIM-26/RB-27 shapes to use with either kit.  Maybe someone will get motivated to create a 3D printed model one of these days. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 07:07:17 AM »
A shame now that there are still two 48th scale kits that coiuld and did carry the AIM-26/RB-27 IRL (F-102 and J-35 Draken) now available but now no AIM-26/RB-27 shapes to use with either kit. 

Ahem!

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 10:13:23 AM »
Thanks Greg, was not aware of Maestro Models product.  Is this a recent item or something that has been out for a while?  Most of the e-Stores I do business with appear to not carry a full line of the Maestro Models products. 

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2020, 01:12:02 PM »
No idea sorry
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 12:57:32 PM »
The48ers carries the Maestro Models products line but currently OOS and no mention of when it will be back in stock.   

Link: Maestro Models RB27 (AIM-26B) Falcon (2X) including fin alignment tool