Author Topic: M551 Sheridan Ideas and Inspiration  (Read 35251 times)

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
Re: M551 Sheridan Ideas and Inspiration
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2017, 10:18:02 AM »
With wheeled vehicles, you lose substantial amounts of hull volume because of the turning requirements of the wheels, to turn the vehicle.  You can counter that by using skid steer like the AMX-10RC does, however, that comes at substantial costs in the tyres needing to be frequently changed because of the amount of rubber they lose with each turn.  The British experimented with a skid-steer vehicle, the 6x6 Rhino and decided against it, when they were developing the Saracen/Saladin.   Apparently it provides a wild ride but economically doesn't make much sense.   I remember watching the local RAEME Squadron playing with their old Saracen "recovery aide".   It's turning system was shot so the only way they could get it around corners was to skid steer.   No one was allowed to ride in it but watching from outside was scary enough.

So, unless you have a substantial loss of hull volume, you shall need to skid steer it, Greg.   

Offline Crbad

• I'd buy that for a dollar!
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2017, 08:46:41 AM »
Are you talking about a Sheridan turret on a wheeled vehicle or putting wheels on the M551 chassis? Putting wheels on the Sheridan hull would be difficult for all the reasons mentioned above. Putting the turret on wheels would also be tough. The recoil of the 152mm was... Excessive. Being in the driver's seat during a gunnery table is a little like being in multiple car crashes in one day. It was enough to raise the front road wheels off the ground whilst firing. I'm not sure how that would translate to a wheeled vehicle. It might be cool to see it on a AMX 10 or Centauro.
Craig's Bureau of Aeronautics Design: Shoddy engineering and marginal skill for the undiscerning modelling enthusiast.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2017, 10:39:56 AM »
3D printed MGM-51 Shillelagh missiles for the MBT-70, M60A2, and the M551 Sheridan are now available at Shapeways. 
Click on this link to view the product: 1/35 Shillelagh Missile Set MSP35-032 Made By Mike's MS Productions

Read about the MGM-51 Shillelagh: Wikipedia > MGM-51 Shillelagh Missile
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Rickshaw

« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2017, 11:15:19 AM »
Are you talking about a Sheridan turret on a wheeled vehicle or putting wheels on the M551 chassis? Putting wheels on the Sheridan hull would be difficult for all the reasons mentioned above. Putting the turret on wheels would also be tough. The recoil of the 152mm was... Excessive. Being in the driver's seat during a gunnery table is a little like being in multiple car crashes in one day. It was enough to raise the front road wheels off the ground whilst firing. I'm not sure how that would translate to a wheeled vehicle. It might be cool to see it on a AMX 10 or Centauro.

When the Australian Army tested the early M551 Sheridan for use in their airmobile Division organisation they found the vehicle was too light for the gun.  With the brakes hard on, firing fore/aft the vehicle would still move about a metre.   They weren't willing to fire it athwarts more than once,  it rocked off it's nearside track and in their opinion was in danger of turning turtle.    The Australian Army liked the idea of the M551 and indeed, in their "Division" training pamphlet (manual) it featured as being the standard equipment of the Division reconnaissance squadron for about 8 years before it was reprinted.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2017, 12:24:18 PM »

Bah!  Reality!
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Crbad

• I'd buy that for a dollar!
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2017, 08:43:26 AM »

Bah!  Reality!
:) Right. Thinking cap off; imagineering fez on... The first thing to do would be to raise the ground clearance. Standard clearance is about a foot and a half (roughly half a meter), so unless you wanted to use automobile tires, it has to be lifted. You could try adding a V shape hull like an MRAP. That would raise it and give room for the wheels to turn (theoretically... I'm not an engineer). Or you could try putting the wheels outside the hull, but that seems pretty awkward.
 If you're just talking about kitbashing, then maybe try swapping the entire lower hull out with a 6 wheel job. AMX 10 seems like a good candidate. Saladin is probably too small. Maybe a German Fuchs or a Japanese type 87? Both have affordable kits out there...
Craig's Bureau of Aeronautics Design: Shoddy engineering and marginal skill for the undiscerning modelling enthusiast.

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2017, 07:04:01 AM »
I'm thinking XM-800 wheeled version with a Sheridan turret.

Offline Rickshaw

« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2017, 01:41:37 PM »
I'm thinking XM-800 wheeled version with a Sheridan turret.

How about the XM-808?

Might need 8x8 to make the ground pressure acceptable...

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2020, 05:25:31 AM »
Sounding very AMX 10RC like

M551 chassis with a AMX 10RC...sounds straight forward... I like it.
Still to this day I've never understood the US Army's inability/unwant to simple substitute the ridiculous and limited 152mm gun/launcher, and yet continued to deploy it....

M.A.D
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 07:38:34 PM by M.A.D »

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2021, 01:55:23 AM »
Ares 75mm gun for M551. IMO much better than that 152mm launcher. At least, crew members look happy ;) ;D

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2021, 03:44:01 AM »
I like.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2021, 04:10:49 PM »
I like.

I second that GTX, considering the US Army had no issues with the reliability/maintenance of the M551's chassis/running gear/engine...
One would naturally think this combination of Ares 75mm gun in place of the woeful 152mm gun-launcher and it's heavy/bulky ammunition would make M551 inherently lighter - hence allowing for more much needed armour to be added = better survivability!🤔👍

MAD
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 04:45:59 PM by M.A.D »

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2021, 03:39:16 AM »

76mm gun M32

This was to use a combustible case round.

Fitted with the larger gun/launcher intended for the MBT70.
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2021, 03:08:34 AM »
Cool! With that 90 mm M41 mounted, the Sheridan reminds me of the Swedish IKV-91  :smiley:

If the 105 mm M68 was "installed by the Naval Surface Weapons Center", does that imply potential use by Marine Corps tank companies?

"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz