Author Topic: Gingie's Build Thread  (Read 200961 times)

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
Re: AVGP Weasel whatif
« Reply #100 on: February 19, 2013, 12:41:23 AM »
I might do the sensor array from a Coyote - I just found the operator manual for in the book stash, and its chock full of line drawings of all the fiddly bits. The reason I was going with a Fennek mast set was that I wanted whatever object that sat on top of the mast, could be retracted into the hull. The limiting factor is the size of the hatch opening you can see where the base of the tube is. A Coyote sensor would have to be added manually by the crew. I may just scratch a Fennek-ish module. Its a box with an arm and a couple lenses. More or less.

For sure when the mast is raised there would be an electronic lock-out to elevate the gun barrel and clear the mast. The logic being if the recce crew finds themselves having to fire the gun when the mast is up, something has gone drastically wrong!

I'm also going to add some stabilizer legs where the marine drive would normally go. Something like what you would find on a back-hoe, or maybe like the Husky ARV. When the wheels are on, the vehicle looks like it would be a tail-sitter, but the fact is there is a lot of engine mass over the front axle that I think would make this a nicely balanced 4x4.

The stack of discs wasn't turned. Just CA'd together and shaped with a metal file & Mk 1 eyeball.

Offline Gingie

Re: Heavy Infantry Assault Vehicle (HIAV) whatif
« Reply #101 on: February 19, 2013, 12:46:37 AM »
I'm thinking a winter scheme would fit this too, green and white bands maybe.

Yes - there will be fenders at least wide enough to cover the tracks, or, I will use narrower Diehl M-113 tracks. Thing that gets me is the lower Bradley hull had fenders the exact right size (go figure) and I chopped them off. Totally unecessary, and if I had put more than 10 minutes of thought into it before wielding the razor saw, I could have saved hours of work.

Offline deathjester

• 'Remember - Tiredness Kills Hedgehogs...!'
  • His Mother-in-law has Tardis pockets...
    • stormfront models
« Reply #102 on: February 19, 2013, 12:52:54 AM »
You know, if you leave it just how it is, then it looks a lot like the SHADO Mobiles from the Gerry Anderson show UFO - ask Diavel to explain if you are uncertain what these look like...

Offline Doom!

• Slayer of pixels and plastic!
  • Glad to be here!
    • Doom Island 2
« Reply #103 on: February 19, 2013, 12:55:20 AM »
This looks great!  :)  I like the added structural support in the front hatch  ;D . Sorry about the fenders...sounds like we work in the same manner. DOH!
Doom!
Jeff G.

Offline tanktastic43

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #104 on: February 19, 2013, 07:44:35 AM »
Looking good so far.

tt43.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #105 on: February 19, 2013, 08:13:27 AM »
I am actually quite surprised that the Stryker body is almost wide enough to fit without modification on the Bradley hull.  Seems it would be an easy match up with an M113 hull too.  Certainly will look good with a bunch snow skis and snow shoes on top in winter camouflage   :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Gingie

« Reply #106 on: February 19, 2013, 08:48:25 AM »
The nose is a perfect match for width - realizing that coincidence was the spark that ignited this combo. I mixed and match various uppers & lowers; 113's, AVGP, Boxer, LAV II, LAV III, to Leopard 1 & 2, Warrior, PzH2000, Bradley & MLRS.

However easy it was to line up the front...the back was, well, there's a reason there's no photos of the ass end!  :D

Offline father ennis

• I got paint older than most of you guys ...
  • Our Scifi, armour-building Rennissance Priest...
« Reply #107 on: February 19, 2013, 11:44:04 AM »
I have to say that I'm quite fond of the way it looks as it is now. I'm not sure that you really need fenders.
I may be old but I'm not dead ... yet anyway ... !!!    And NO I did not know Richard III !!!!!!

Offline father ennis

« Reply #108 on: February 19, 2013, 12:04:37 PM »
The Germans used masts like that for their main communications vehicles. They were much thinner than yours and raised by a hand crank. The mast had to be stablized with "guy" wires staked to the ground. It took a bit to raise and to lower as well. How have you compsinated for this ?  I can see a modern vehicle using hydroligests to raise and lower the mast but not keep it from swaying in a strong wind. I'm thinking about an upside-down pendulum effect. Could be a problem.
I may be old but I'm not dead ... yet anyway ... !!!    And NO I did not know Richard III !!!!!!

Offline Gingie

« Reply #109 on: February 19, 2013, 09:10:27 PM »
It's a problem in the 1:1 scale coyote too!

The vehicle suspension will have a lockout mode and there will be stabilizing jacks at the rear. Plus the tube at the base scales out to around a foot diameter...pretty robust.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #110 on: February 21, 2013, 11:14:10 AM »
coming along nicely.

this sort of idea is getting around a bit, Russian, Germans, Czechs even the Indians have extendable sensor arrays

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #111 on: February 21, 2013, 11:17:27 AM »
That just works.

Great job with the disparit upper/lower hull match ups.

You blokes are getting me the urge.. got a couple of project on the "must do' (for local shows and Wonderfest) but after that reckon I need to get a bit of Whiffer AFV stuff happening.

Nice work.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
Re: what if 762mm teaser
« Reply #112 on: February 21, 2013, 11:19:37 AM »
Size does matter you know 8)

looking forward to seeing how this goes together, maybe get a cheapo Trumpy MLRS as a basis.

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #113 on: February 21, 2013, 12:38:09 PM »
Looks like a good place to put an M113 back door. Keep plug'n.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #114 on: February 21, 2013, 09:26:01 PM »
Personally, I like it!

As for the "over-width" tracks; to me they look right.

You might want to try adding "attachment points" for the fenders & their support braces if you don't want to go so far as to actually build them.

For the rear end; I'd use what you've got. Presumably you have the Bradley hatch, that & a little scratch building work & you're cooking with gas, my friend!

Cheers!

Guy
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #115 on: February 21, 2013, 09:36:22 PM »
What about going totally off-beam & slapping it on top of the spare Stryker base? ;D

Cheers!

Guy
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Gingie

« Reply #116 on: February 22, 2013, 12:11:26 AM »
I'd like to keep the timeframe of the Rocket and the TEL similar (c1968), so it would be Centurion, or possibly M4A3E8, maybe M668 (as per Lance launcher, but with HJ rocket?)

The stryker base I am thinking instead of a turreted tank wannabe, maybe something like a HIMARS?

Offline Gingie

« Reply #117 on: February 22, 2013, 01:00:01 AM »
Cheers guys - as for the rear, I was able to fit the Stryker bits, albeit with about 8 x .040 shims, gobs of CA, putty, and much sanding to adapt the narrower LAV hull to the much wider Bradley. Under a layer of primer, paint, and mud, it should look natural  ;)

I tend to agree that it looks OK without the fenders. Kinda gives it an ostketten look. However, I need the fenders if only to serve as an attachment point for add on armour (think Challenger 2).

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #118 on: February 22, 2013, 02:30:45 AM »
I'd love it if you made some resin castings based on the original rocket...hint, hint!
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #119 on: February 22, 2013, 02:54:51 AM »
This looks so natural. Are the tracks vinyl? They look great.

Offline Gingie

« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2013, 10:06:12 AM »
Yep, just the kit tracks. I was thinking about swapping them for skybow or possibly M-113 Diehl tracks.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #121 on: February 22, 2013, 01:38:06 PM »
I'd love it if you made some resin castings based on the original rocket...hint, hint!
Yes, indeed!  Sign me up for a couple of copies too.  That would be nice to see paired up on the back of an MLRS inside the armored box and some small control fins added to the warhead section to suggest an improved and guided Honest John.  :) 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline father ennis

« Reply #122 on: February 22, 2013, 01:40:53 PM »
I would suggest you simply pin the tracks thru the hull side,unless the upper hull is already attached. This offers you a bit of both as with a small armor panel you can see them and add protection,too. Send me a PM and I'll tell you how if you need it,same for anybody else who would like to know.  I must say,I'm really liking what you got going here and can't wait to see what will be next.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #123 on: February 25, 2013, 02:51:18 AM »
Can't believe how seemless you have made this little bash. I too have had "razor saw regret" but its rare and easily cured  :)
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #124 on: February 25, 2013, 02:52:54 AM »
That rocket is stellar  :) excellent craftsmanship!

Curious to see what you post next
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher