Modelling > Land

articulated Tanks

<< < (2/8) > >>

raafif:
there are literally dozens of articulated cargo-type trucks from Russia but so far I haven't found a Russian Tank version -- seems such a natural for them !! :-\

The amazing thing about these is that the power-operated joint can enable these trucks to do yoga on the spot !! .... see below (still taken from a Youtube video)

GTX_Admin:

--- Quote from: AGRA on August 15, 2012, 12:32:12 PM ---The winner of the US Armor Association 1962 tank design competition:

--- End quote ---

Oh, I do like that.  Any more info on it?

AGRA:

--- Quote from: GTX_Admin on August 15, 2012, 04:00:43 PM ---Oh, I do like that.  Any more info on it?
--- End quote ---

It gets a page in Hunnicutt's "Abrams - History of the American MBT". Just says:

"In late 1962, the U.S. Armor Association sponsored a competition for a new main battle tank design. The winner, illustrated in the January-February 1963 issue of Armor Magazine, consisted of two tracked units connected and operated in tandem with a two piece gimbal ring type joint. This connection permitted the two units to roll and pitch independently about the axes within the joint. Designed by Robert W. Forsyth and John P. Forsyth, it illustrated the wide range of concepts under consideration at that time. The tank could be broken down into the two units thus meeting the weight requirements for transportation by the aircraft of that time. The vehicle was to be driven by a multifuel piston engine coupled to an electric generator in the rear unit. This provided power to four traction motors driving the sprockets, two located at the rear of the front unit and two at the front of the rear unit. The proposed main armament was carried on the front unit and consisted of a 155mm smooth bore, rocket boosted cannon and a 20mm Hispano-Suiza automatic gun. Provision also was made for the installation of a 7.62mm multibarrel machine gun on the rear unit. The vehicle was manned by a crew of seven with the commander/gunner, the gunner/ loader, and the driver in the front unit and a four man tank support team in the rear. Weight was estimated to range from 24 to 32 tons depending upon the armor protection."

Dr. YoKai:
That is pretty neat! I figured the big gun was probably the 152/Shillealegh (sp?) or something like it-
but that co-ax looks more like 40 mm than 20 mm. ( Not that thats a bad thing...) it certainly would
have had ample crew for maintenance.

apophenia:
That yellow Russian track reminds me of the Foremost Chieftain series:
http://www.foremost.ca/index_vehicles.php

AGRA: The Swedish Army bought a pair of CL-70 RATs but the Bv 206 drivetrain was more likely inspired by the later Canadair CL-91 Dynatrac II (aka XM-571).

The Swedes preferred the similarly-powered Snow Trac ST4 to the RAT (as did a lot of Canadians). In effect, Volvo used the layout of the ST4 as the front car of their articulated Bv 202.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version