Author Topic: Airframe Scaling  (Read 707 times)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Airframe Scaling
« on: December 19, 2023, 12:46:16 PM »
A question for engineers and other knowledgeable folk: How predictable is the chance of aerodynamic success when re-scaling an airframe?

I'm aware that many phenomena do not scale. But I'm wonder about the effects of scaling an airframe by 50%. My example airframe is the Boeing MQ-28A Ghost Bat - shown here is sideviews representing the fullscale UCAV and essentially the same airframe scaled-down to 50% size as a cruise missile.

Were this scaling both feasible and risk-reducing for development, my object would be to re-use aerodynamic work already invested in the MQ-28A to create a rival to the German Taurus KEPD 350 cruise missile.

FWIW: The fullscale MQ-28A measures 11.70 m (38.38 ft) in length. So, the 50% scaled Ghost Bat would be 5.85 m (19.19 feet) long. The existing Taurus KEPD 350 missile has a length of ~5.0 m (16.40 ft).
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 04:57:30 AM by apophenia »
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: Airframe Scaling
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2023, 04:36:13 PM »
Depends on what you want to put inside the airframe, halving the dimensions quarters the volume.

The thickness of the frames & skin will, probably, be unable to be reduced by much; which will further reduce internal volume & ensure that the wing-loading will go up.

A lot of other parts will, likewise be thicker & heavier than a simple scale-down will allow, or will already be miniaturised as far as they can go. So, they will take up a larger percentage of the remaining volume & add more mass.

Also, engines; will there be one a quarter the volume of the original or will a larger engine be required to maintain performance?

Lots of questions, most of which chew up your internal volume (reducing fuel/payload capacity) & add mass (reducing performance).

Which is why things don't scale down as well as they scale up.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline apophenia

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2023, 04:56:42 AM »
Excellent stuff Guy  :smiley:

Your comments on internal volume and wing-loading are sobering. To answer your question about what would need to go inside ... in this specific example - beyond fuel, engine, controls, guidance, etc. - it needs to accommodate a BLU-116 AUP warhead (or non-US equivalent).

Weight can be reduced - dumping the undercarriage; restressing for a one-flight lifespan; simplified controls; etc. But quartering the available volume is the BIG reality check here.

For powerplant, the MQ-28A engine is (AFAIK) a Williams FJ44 ... no idea on the exact sub-type. So, we have a thrust anywhere between 1,900 and 3,000 lbf; a diameter of  20.7 to 23.0 inches; and a dry weight of 460 to 535 lbs. My 'close to 50%' choice would have been the PW610F producing 950 lbf; a diameter of 14 inches; and weighing about 260 lbs. But in length (46 inches), the PW601F isn't much different from the Ghost Bat's FJ44. Needing to drop down to a quarter of the volume is a whole 'nuther deal!

The Williams WJ38-7 (F415-WR-400 for the Tomahawk Block IV TLAM-E) might be small enough but I can't find any published dimensions. I suspect that F415 details are still classified ... and, therefore, possibly unavailable for any non-US programmes.

All this has me wondering if turbofans mightn't be the best approach. They give you much better sfc and are quieter but you need so much more space to shoe-horn one in. That probably explains why SCALP/Storm Shadow are using the punchy-but-thirsty Microturbo TRI-60-30.

Another 'old school' turbojet option would be the Teledyne J402-CA-400 turbojet - diameter 12.5 inches; dry weight 101.5 lbs; length 29 inches. That's gets us down to 'quarter scale' but the Teledyne only produces 660 lbf with twice the sfc  :o

Anyone have any other ideas?

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2023, 11:10:55 AM »
Just throwing this out there. I know that to double the speed of a ship you have to quadruple the power. So if you scale down by half this would reduce the power needed substantially. Would an aircraft be anywhere near the formula for a ship? Probably not. To get to the point, if an aircraft is half the size is the power requirement reduced by half or more? Once you get down to a certain size would it change that much at all?

Offline apophenia

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2023, 09:59:26 AM »
Very interesting observations Ken  :smiley:

My choice of subjects here may be a problem - little in the way of specs have been released on the MQ-28A, AFAIK.

Hmmm, ... maybe some of the old Scaled Composites project may elucidate. I'll have to investigate that.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 12:05:58 PM »
For your cruise missile, consider the engine in the JSSAM-ER, which I am given to uderstand is the same as was fitted to the AGM-137A/BGM-137B.  That should give you a suitable and proven engine.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #6 on: Today at 08:54:48 AM »
For your cruise missile, consider the engine in the JSSAM-ER, which I am given to uderstand is the same as was fitted to the AGM-137A/BGM-137B.  That should give you a suitable and proven engine.

Thanks Evan. I had considered the Teledyne J402-CA-400 which seemed to be a perfect size match.

That said, two elements make the J402 series less than ideal. The first is having a much higher sfc than (the admittedly bulkier) modern turbofans. The second is a turbojet's give-away screech at low altitude. (Mind you, the latter issue doesn't seem to stop the Storm Shadows from getting through.)