Author Topic: A Series of Falklandish Events  (Read 8125 times)

A Series of Falklandish Events
« on: May 01, 2012, 12:30:47 AM »
Just a bite-sized snack for now:

A FMA Ae.M.B.2 Bombi of the FAA in the Spring of 1937.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: A Series of Falklandish Events
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 02:33:35 AM »
Tasty...
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 03:04:27 AM »
And my, what a yummy, spatted snack it is, too!
 :-* :-* :-*
I've got to tip my hat to you for thinking of the Bombi! Here I was trying to come up with ideas and I totally blanked on that famous bird!

Eagerly awaiting the main course,
Brian da Basher

Offline arc3371

• Takes no responsibility should anyone try to turn the drawings into plastic...but we will still hold him accountable for the madness that ensues!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 03:16:41 AM »
Nice one!

Offline JP Vieira

• The Challenge Master!!!
    • What-If World
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 06:05:20 AM »
Looks great...keep it up

"The bomber will always get through"!
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 08:29:52 AM »
Thanks guys!

Following the economic and political difficulties that came with the Great Depression, the Argentinian government decided that an external threat was needed to rally the people and forestall any unrest. It was decided that Britain would be an ideal target. Tensions over the Malvinas and anger over Britain's move to protect the economic prosperity of it's Empire at the expense of other trading partners (such as Argentina) made this an easy choice. Returning the Malvinas to their rightful owners would cement the government's hold over the Argentinian people.

It was not until 1937 however, that the military was deemed to be in a fit state to proceed with the taking of the islands. It was hoped that the timing would prove fortuitous, with Britain distracted by the ongoings in Europe. This was not the case. While the undefended isles fell quickly, the British response was equally swift with an ultimatum for withdrawl being issued within a day of the invasion.

The Eagle class carrier HMS Canada and her consorts, the cruiser HMS Berwick and destroyers Basilisk, Gallant and Icarus were dispatched immediately. The old carrier (which had seen action at Jutland while still a battleship) managed a sustained 23kts for the voyage south. Joining a troop convoy bound for the Far East en-route, the impromptu fleet immediately set about covering the amphibious landing. Fire from the shore was light and sporadic (even more so once Berwick made a close gunnery pass of the beach).

The only serious counter-attack came from a flight of FMA Ae.M.B.2s based somewhere on the island. The Argentians had subscribed to the theory that "the bomber will always get through". 803 Naval Air Squadron, equipped with Blackburn Murrelet* turret fighters, were to prove this was not the case. While the Murrelets would prove to be abysmal dogfighters in coming conflicts, they were more than adequate bomber-destroyers, proving the adage "always use the right tool for the right job"!

* Based on Blackburn's Specification A.39/34 for a Merlin C engined Skua-based turret fighter *

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 08:52:23 AM »
Very nice sir!
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 03:37:17 AM »
You certainly "used the right tools" for that magnificent piece of art, Mr EH!

Bummer to see the spats lose, but they're always winners when it come to style!

Brian da Basher

dogsbodymk1

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 11:42:41 AM »
Good beginning.

Offline AGRA

• Took the opportunity to tease us with a RAAF F-82
Re: "The bomber will always get through"!
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 08:28:14 AM »
What a great imaginative idea. The 1920s-30s is overshadowed by WWII but a fertile area for What Ifery. Including the greatest war fiction novel of all time (judging by its ability to predict events) 1925’s “The Great Pacific War” by Hector Bywater.

803 Naval Air Squadron, equipped with Blackburn Murrelet* turret fighters, were to prove this was not the case. While the Murrelets would prove to be abysmal dogfighters in coming conflicts, they were more than adequate bomber-destroyers, proving the adage "always use the right tool for the right job"!

Good to see someone who knows why turret fighters were built.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: "The bomber will always get through"!
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 04:19:48 PM »
Good to see someone who knows why turret fighters were built.

Spot on!
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline tigercat

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 02:41:58 PM »
Nice

HMS Canada as a Carrier nice and given her ex battleship origins heavily armed and armoured like HMS Eagle

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 12:58:53 AM »
Thanks. I indeed envisaged Canada being a near twin to Eagle. I also once had Tiger converted into something of a baby Courageous.

Offline tigercat

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 02:36:01 PM »
Plus of course  theres a certain justice in that a ship built as part of the South American dreadnought race ends up facing off against the Argentineans.

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 08:53:08 PM »
I hadn't thought of that. Good point!