Author Topic: Yugoslav Curtiss P-40B  (Read 1130 times)

Offline The Rat

• 70 years old, doesn't feel a day over 90.
  • Maybe I should take up the bagpipes.
Yugoslav Curtiss P-40B
« on: March 16, 2022, 11:04:46 AM »
A model in search of a story. If someone wants to run with it, write whatever you like, I just can't get motivated at the moment.

This is the Academy offering, which I purchased years ago just to get the Nationalist Chinese Decals. They were used on an Airfix Boomerang, and that left me wondering what to do with this assemblage of plastic. Having built a real world Airfix P-40B around the same time, I can confidently say that this one is not even in the running if you want to model one; Airfix takes the prize here. The wing dihedral was non-existent, the intake detail is crude, it didn't come with a separate pitot tube, relying on a nodescript projection on the port wing, and no radio aerial. I wasn't about to bother scratching those.

But it looked to be a simple build, so I confirmed that by applying the requisite amount of glue, masking the canopy, and then letting it sit on a corner of the bench for a few years. Fast forward to a few weeks ago, and doing a bit of work on the Matchbox Hawker Fury produced a gift: a decal sheet that included markings for a Yugoslavian aircraft. No weeny little numbers to bother with, just wing markings top and bottom, and a tricolour fin flash.

So here she is, a hypothetical Warhawk supplied near the beginning of WWII. Underside is Tamiya light grey acrylic, topside is Tamiya olive drab from a rattle-can, and that's about it.

5 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

4 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

3 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

2 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

1 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

None To Offer...
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2022, 10:03:25 PM »
...Did build a 1/72nd Revell P-40E in 1940 Armee del 'Air livery c.1980, gave it to department secretary, hung it on string from ceiling, earthquake happened sometime later, swang pretty darn good :o

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
Re: Yugoslav Curtiss P-40B
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2022, 11:39:41 PM »
Malta, circa mid-1943.
This Kittyhawk - actually an amalgamation of three separate wrecks - was the first operational fighter of RAF No 352 (Y) Squadron, Balkan Air Force. Several expatriate Royal Yugoslavian Air Force pilots shared this craft, prior to squadron standardization with Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Vb’s.

Additional references,
https://acesflyinghigh.wordpress.com/2016/01/02/yugoslav-air-force-combat-aircraft-1941-to-1952/

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
Re: Yugoslav Curtiss P-40B
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2022, 09:05:22 AM »
Nice - like it  :smiley: