Author Topic: Monogram 1/48th scale TBD-1 Devastator what-if  (Read 2076 times)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Monogram 1/48th scale TBD-1 Devastator what-if
« on: February 23, 2022, 08:37:39 AM »
Another long time in the works what-if project that I have been working on for a number of years now. 

I decided to remove the ribbed features from the wing surfaces as a start and that netted me a substantial amount of gray plastic dust by the time I was finished with that.  The end result was a smooth wing surface that I was pleased to see.  While a lot of the surface features disappeared during this there was not that much that could have been done to salvage what features were there.  Same for the wing center section that required filling in the opening where the torpedo was supposed to fit.  The blanking plate provided by the kit was a bit "off" so I used a blanking plate from a second Devastator kit and cut the two into manageable pieces that could then be fitted into the hole and the end result on the outside looks okay while the view from within not so much but it had to be done. 

The sanding effort resulted in the moulded on bomb racks disappearing and I did not feel the least bit of remorse in losing those things as they were just blobs of a raised surface feature without details.  The replacement bomb racks were obtained from an Italeri UH-1D/H and these replacement are about the same size but with much better details than what Monogram had to offer so it was a minor victory. 

The crew compartments were tarted up a bit some some tiny bits and pieces and I wanted to add a complete instrument panel to the bombardier/navigator position since that station had some flight controls available to relieve the pilot on long flights.  I sanded off the instrument cluster, added a small piece from a long-gone Me-110/Bf-110 above the new instrument panel that now had a spot to add in a hand hold for the bombardier when they had to move from that station to the bomb aiming station below the pilot.  A throttle quadrant from that same Me/Bf-110 was added to the left console for the pilot and the bombardier so they have the same feature.  Other bits were added in around the gunner's station and the cockpit coaming surface was modified at the bombardier's station to allow the new instrument panel to fit within and under the coaming. 

The two bombs are from a Tamiya kit, no idea what kit as they were in a pile of parts obtained several years ago.  The replacement propeller has the same problem.  I know it is from a Monogram kit but it too was acquired years ago and aside from it being stock for a B-17 or B-24 it is a mystery as to which kit it is or was from. 

***Edit to add scale and brand to title.  Always the little details that one misses when rushing things.  Such is life. -- jjf
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 09:08:33 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline The Rat

• 70 years old, doesn't feel a day over 90.
  • Maybe I should take up the bagpipes.
Re: TBD-1 Devastator what-if
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2022, 08:45:13 AM »
What scale is that? Anything larger than 1/72nd and you would need a belt sander to get the ribs off, and you'd have enough plastic dust to melt down and make a few extra parts!  ;D
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
Re: Monogram 1/48th scale TBD-1 Devastator what-if
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2022, 09:06:33 AM »
What scale is that? Anything larger than 1/72nd and you would need a belt sander to get the ribs off, and you'd have enough plastic dust to melt down and make a few extra parts!  ;D
The one and only 1/48th scale Monogram TBD-1 Devastator kit.  Yeah, it was a major workout with the coarse sandpaper to wear down the ribbing details.  So much plastic dust and the pain and suffering in my wrists and fingers reminded me of how foolish that was for the better part of two weeks by the time I was done with that part of the project.  Still a WIP all of these years later but I had time to do something with it for a couple of nights while waiting for other things so a little work was done and decided I should probably share that for a change. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2022, 09:17:56 AM »
Nice! :smiley:

Now, how to keep the momentum going?! ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2022, 10:25:05 AM »
That Hamilton Standard propeller is going to look good on the Devastator. The smooth wings came out great.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2022, 11:19:17 AM »
Nice! :smiley:

Now, how to keep the momentum going?! ;)

Pretty much a juggling act with chainsaws at this point.  :smiley:

Offline The Rat

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2022, 01:49:44 AM »

I know someone who could probably do that.

While riding a unicycle.

I hate him.  ;D
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2022, 02:59:47 AM »
That Hamilton Standard propeller is going to look good on the Devastator. The smooth wings came out great.

Swapping out the kit propeller with the Hamilton Standard propeller was an easy decision to make as it was an easy fix.  I had considered swapping the engine out as well but could find nothing suitable in size or cowling shape that would mate up with the fuselage without major surgery and body/fender work.  So that was idea was quickly abandoned. 

No real back story at this point, just a simple what if someone had taken a Devastator and made some subtle improvements to the few remaining airframes left after the Battles of Coral Sea and Midway.  These improved aircraft would then see service in specialized roles such as night raiders against the Japanese held island bases until their service life/airframe hours were finally consumed.  This provides a good excuse to paint the aircraft in GSB over dark grey or gloss black for the night attack role.  I am still undecided on adding a radar.  The AN/APS-4 in a pod would be the ideal but it came later in the war so the earlier radar utilizing the Yagi antennas under each wing will most likely be the radar that this Devastator will carry as it is appropriate for the time period. 

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2022, 03:01:19 AM »

I know someone who could probably do that.

While riding a unicycle.

I hate him.  ;D
His Chainsaw Juggling while riding a Unicycle Skills bring all the girls to the yard... 

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2022, 11:50:52 AM »
Great to see you at it, Jeffry!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2024, 09:17:34 AM »
A couple of WIP images to show that I am staying busy.  I added a pair of bomb racks to the small space between the locations for the six 100-pound bombs provided in the kit.  The new bomb racks are from the Monogram Dauntless kit.  These were moulded with the bottom of the wing.  I managed to cut the racks away while I was modifying the Dauntless to give a folding wing which did yho as planned.  I saw a potential for bomb racks with a greater load capacity on the Devastator for carriage of larger stores under the wings over and above the 100-pound bombs provided in the kit. 

First image shows both bomb racks. 
Second image is a closer look at one of the bomb racks.

Third image shows some of the bits that were added to the cockpit area.  Throttle quadrant from an Me/BF-110 and some other bits from long ago disposed of kits. 

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2024, 04:51:11 PM »
 :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline The Rat

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2024, 09:11:23 AM »
 :smiley:

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2024, 09:20:51 AM »
Be nice to see this older kit come together

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2024, 12:02:05 PM »
Be nice to see this older kit come together
I still feel that the TBD does not get enough love due to the calamity of the battle of Midway where so many Devastators and their crews were sacrificed to achieve a victory over the Japanese fleet. 

As a what-if, I wanted to give the Devastator a larger engine but that did not go as planned and I ruined one fuselage in the process of trying to fit a larger radial engine so the spare Devastator kit has provided the replacement fuselage.  Swapping out the narrow chord propeller from the kit with a paddle-blade Hamilton-Standard style propeller from either a Monogram B-17 or B-24 kit appeared to be the better path to take.  Other "upgrades" are still as yet undetermined but I am really hoping to see this what-if featuring a radar (Yagi antennas under the wings, or the APS-4 in a pod under the wings).