Author Topic: RW: 1/48 Lavochkin La-9 warbird  (Read 105 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• Once crowned Mango King by Brian da Basher!
  • The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
RW: 1/48 Lavochkin La-9 warbird
« on: November 20, 2021, 10:42:51 AM »
Hi all,
My most recent build, the Special Hobby Kittyhawk, was my birthday present to myself last year. This year's was the new Ark Models 1/48 Lavochkin La-9 which I got from a Russian store on eBay for a song. It's surprisingly basic for a 2021 kit - inside the cockpit there should be frames and stringers, the panel lines are deep and fairings/plates are too tall:
Ark Models 1/48 AK48049 Lavochkin La-9 by Zac Yates, on Flickr

However it was evened out by the inclusion at no extra cost of the 3D decals by Quinta Studio. These are a true delight and very easy to use. And necessary as there is no detail on the IP or consoles. Plus if you put them in the wrong place they're easy enough to relocate if you've used PVA/craft glue rather than CA. I'll be trying to replicate some sidewall boxes missing from the kit and made the choice to add the missing brake lever to the stick.
Ark Models 1/48 Lavochkin La-9 by Zac Yates, on Flickr

There's an airworthy example of the La-9 which was restored here in New Zealand for the late Ray Hanna. It first flew after restoration in 2003, appeared at one airshow and was off to Duxford where it wowed (I think) everyone who saw it. Likewise its pilots. Ray then brought it back to NZ and entered into a partnership with P-40N owner Garth Hogan to operate it here. It appeared at Warbirds Over Wanaka 2004 (my family attended for the first time) and as soon as it went past me on the takeoff roll this sixteen-year-old fell in love. Photos by my Dad:
Warbirds Over Wanaka 2004 pt1_0017 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
Warbirds Over Wanaka 2004 pt2_0064 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
Warbirds Over Wanaka 2004 pt3_0052 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
Warbirds Over Wanaka 2004 pt3_0064 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
Warbirds Over Wanaka 2004 pt3_0028 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 10:49:01 AM by KiwiZac »
With warm regards from Whanganui, New Zealand

"Who said Kiwis can't fly...though this one can organise for a kit of the Fletcher FU24 to be produced!"

Offline apophenia

• Patterns? What patterns?
Re: RW: 1/48 Lavochkin La-9 warbird
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 05:33:51 AM »
Looking forward to this. The La-9 has been a favourite of mine too (since first seeing a sketch of one looong ago in a William Green Fighters series book).

As you say, the lack of internal detail is surprising in a 1/48 kit. But those freebee Quinta Studio decals look really sharp. Good score  :smiley:
The doorbell's ringing, could be the elves
But it's probably the werewolf ...