Author Topic: Thoughts on an Aero Commander  (Read 2379 times)

Offline maxmwill

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Thoughts on an Aero Commander
« on: July 04, 2020, 09:28:15 AM »
I'm not sure if a civilian design would fit in, but earlier, I was able to shoot a few pics of an old and dear friend, a Rockwell Aero Commander 500B.
In my years in aviation(over 35 years in general aviation), the one type I always enjoyed working was the Aero Commander, especially the turboprop version, especially that one, because I always knew when one was landing because it howled like a fierce raptor that's being forced to stay on the ground(angry howling).

And every time I saw one, my first thought was that it would not look out of place with a planing hull and wingtip floats. Yes, to me, it was a secret flying boat forced to stay on land.

And will be a he'll of a little.

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
Re: Thoughts on an Aero Commander
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 10:35:16 AM »
I made a quick search to look at some pics and I agree, clearly a flying boat that never was. Sounds like a kitbash project coming on. Or hold until the next floaty thing or in the navy GB comes along!

Offline Aeroplanedriver

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 03:11:35 PM »
The first ever turboprop I flew was a Turbo Commander 690.  I was a student pilot with about 35 hours at the time.  One of the most memorable flights of my life.  Cant wait to see this! 

Offline maxmwill

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 03:02:49 AM »
Well, when I first saw it, I noticed that the prop tips didn't even reach the bottom of the fuselage. And I think there was a Testors kit of this long ago. Can't find it, or I mostemembered

Offline maxmwill

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 03:40:56 AM »
Well, when I first saw it, I noticed that the prop tips didn't even reach the bottom of the fuselage. And I think there was a Testors kit of this long ago. Can't find it, or I misremembered

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 10:21:31 AM »
... every time I saw one, my first thought was that it would not look out of place with a planing hull and wingtip floats...

There is an old adage: "Blatant concept theft is the sincerest form of flattery." At least, I think that's how the quote goes ...

Anyway, we all remember the old Sea Commander. Her props may have been overly prone to whacking waves but she sure was pretty!
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2020, 10:54:31 AM »
With regard to kits of the Aero Commander, Aurora had one years ago.  I believe there are now kits available of one of the short, piston-powered versions in 1/72.  I've always thought an Aero Comander fuselage, particularly from one of the turbine-powered versions would be a perfect starting point for modelling the proposed but unbuilt version of the OV-10, it would even be kept within the Rockwell family.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2020, 01:53:44 AM »
Anyway, we all remember the old Sea Commander. Her props may have been overly prone to whacking waves but she sure was pretty!

:smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline The Rat

• 70 years old, doesn't feel a day over 90.
  • Maybe I should take up the bagpipes.
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.