Author Topic: The Brazilian Hawk 75 - A (Pea) Nutty Tale in 1/72 Scale  (Read 2358 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
The Brazilian Hawk 75 - A (Pea) Nutty Tale in 1/72 Scale
« on: July 10, 2017, 06:07:16 AM »

The Hawk 75 pursuit was an export success for the Curtiss Co. and served many nations all over the world. Of course, some wanted a simpler version without that complex retractable landing gear. After hearing neighboring Argentina had placed an order for the simpler and sexier spatted variant and obtained a production license, Brazil sought the same and by the late summer of 1939, the first Curtiss Hawk 75s had taken to the skies above Rio.

Known as the Hawk-75P on internal Curtiss documents, it was commonly referred to as the Falcão in Brazilian service. The Brazilians undertook production at a government facility in São Paulo where they further refined the spatted undercarriage and added the latest in modern navigation aids in the form of a DF loop on 16 of the 60 eventually produced. These aircraft would be flight leaders and pathfinders for their squadrons.

By the summer of 1940, only 45 Falcãoes had reached frontline Força Aérea Brasileira units, but critically, all 16 of the DF-loop equipped aircraft had been delivered.

The timing couldn't have been better because this was just when that rapacious monopolist, Mr Peanut, decided to strike.

Brazil nuts had become all the rage and crafty Mr Peanut decided to try and corner that lucrative market. Of course, a few palms had to be greased and eventually Mr Peanut tried bribing the Minister of Agriculture. This turned out to be a grave mistake so Mr Peanut took it on the lam. Shortly thereafter, the Força Aérea Brasileira was given the mission of tracking him down.

It was assumed Mr Peanut would make a beeline for some remote border crossing where he could evade authorities. The Força Aérea Brasileira used their DF-loop equipped Falcões to try and follow the lawless legume across uncharted miles of trackless jungle and rain forest.

The pilots of the Força Aérea Brasileira flew sortie after sortie until they collapsed from exhaustion. Still, Mr Peanut remained elusive.

Often swooping down to tree-top level tracking a promising lead, the Falcões were perhaps the most graceful thing ever to take flight over the rain forest.

Unfortunately for justice, Mr Peanut would remain a fugitive and little information as to his whereabouts was ever found. However, there is some documentary evidence that he served in World War II.

Since nothing was seen of Mr Peanut after the war, it's quite possible he didn't survive the conflict or was so terribly wounded as to be unrecognizable.

As to the Força Aérea Brasileira and their speedy, spatted Falcões, those incredibly reliable and streamlined dream machines would go on to give sterling service, ending their careers as advanced trainers prior to being scrapped in 1946.

Nothing remains of those Falcões today and the few grainy photos of them that do exist are commonly mistaken for the Argentine version due to being taken from a bad angle. There are many so-called "experts" that insist this beautiful Brazilian spatted wonder must be all in the imagination of some nut.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 08:01:52 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: The Brazilian Hawk 75 - A (Pea) Nutty Tale in 1/72 Scale
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 06:37:53 AM »
This all began with the venerable 1/72 Monogram Curtiss P-36. Your box art may vary. Mine looked like this.

There's no in-progress shots because the only mods were closing up the wheel wells with card & sticking on spats left over from a Northrop Gamma, adding a DF loop made from some random round part and making the tail wheel non-retracting. I also chopped off the outer wing guns which looked more realistic since I wanted to use the shell collectors and it seems wrong to have more gun barrels than brass catchers.

The model was painted with acrylics using the old hairy stick and a lot of Polly Scale Lettering Gray. The cowling was done in Model Masters Feldgrau. I thought a simple scheme would highlight those unique Força Aérea Brasileira markings.

Model Masters Aircraft Interior Black was used on tires and the wing walks & anti-glare panel. The canopy was tinted on the inside with Prussian Blue and the rudder stripes were painted free-hand using a custom mixed green and Insignia Yellow. The engine and guns were done with Model Masters Gunmetal and Jet Exhaust was used on the exhausts.

The real star of this show are those cool Brazilian roundels which come from a sheet by FCM for P-40s.

The codes are from spares, but the "FAB" on the tail is actually a modified FAD.

That squadron logo is left over from a 1/144 Liberator. I trimmed off some of the embellishments along the side hoping it would then escape the shame of recognition.

I had a lot of fun on this model which only took about four days to build even though that was spread out over a week or so because things have been busy.

If you come across a Monogram P-36, go ahead and grab it. I think you'll find that even though it's very simple by modern standards, it builds up very easily and can make a great blank canvas for whatever markings you want to use.

Here's a few shots featuring that incredibly streamlined landing gear.

Wouldn't you hate to see those fearsome spats swooping down on you? I know I would.

I hope you enjoyed the Brazilian Hawk 75 and reading a little more forgotten aircraft history, even if it was a bit nutty.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 07:20:02 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline AXOR

• Our returned Monkey Box man
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 06:48:14 AM »
That's really nice Brian,certainly those spats are from there  :)).
Excellent work mate!
Alex

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 02:48:37 PM »
Though was never aware of spatted Hawks, it makes sense that lower budget nations away from turmoil in Europe would go for spatted version.  Lower purchase and maintenance costs were obviously attractive.  Thank you for making me aware South America's spatted Hawks.  Brazil nut and Mr. Peanut fiasco also new to me.  Hey; am not well read on South American history.

Offline andonio64

• Fio Piccolo's understudy
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 03:28:03 PM »
Beautiful, Brian!

AnDonio

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 01:46:38 AM »
I like it! :-*

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 02:51:51 AM »
Beautiful! The Northrop trousers were a great choice  :)
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 06:34:08 PM »
Completely nuts, BdB! Love it! 8) :) :)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."