Author Topic: Antipodean civil Mustang x2  (Read 3804 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
Antipodean civil Mustang x2
« on: August 29, 2016, 05:22:34 AM »
Hi all,
Some of you may know my pet Real World modelling projects are preserved "warbirds". I'm almost finished doing ICM's 1/48 P-51D/K as the late Col Pay's CAC Mustang A68-107/VH-AUB, an aircraft familiar to many airshowgoers in Australia. At the same time I'm doing a Kiwi Civilstang - the petrol company-sponsored "Mobil Mustang" ZK-CCG from the 60s - so don't be surprised if you see double in the photos!

Key to doing this project are decals: the lovely Red Roo set for VH-AUB, and Red Pegasus of the USA for ZK-CCG. I ordered the Aussie ones with a bunch of other stuff and they arrived very quickly...but in 1/72! An email to proprietor Gary saw me return them in exchange for the right scale set...and then a second set arrived a few days later?! He said I can feel free to hang onto it and pass it on to anyone who wants it. Very kind.

First up on the bench was VH-AUB, the Aussie bird. I was in the mood for a quicker build so rather than mix a match for RAAF Cockpit Green I just used Tamiya XF-71. I also got a set of Red Roo CAC prop blades. I removed the radio boxes and also the headrest, in line with photos I've seen of the real AUB. ZK-CCG retained the military radios for a while so I kept them in place for that one.

A casualty of my "quickbuild" ethos was the wing dihedral on AUB: "measure twice, cut once" when it comes to this kit, it seems! The wings are flatter than I'd like but it's still unmistakeably a Mustang. The fit is actually quite nice overall, but the Tamiya one is (surprise surprise) even better.

VH-AUB is the one on the left. I painted the nose first as you need to install the exhausts before the top cowling.

AUB still on the left. Most photos I found of her on the ground show the flaps down, so that's what I went with. It's half-and-half with CCG, but as the flaps fit nicely as-is they're down too. CCG will take a lot longer as I need to get some white spray paint. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh how I hate painting white, yet so many delicious subjects are white  :-X Both aircraft had the shell ejector chutes faired over, so I masked and filled these on each model.

I'm using overall Tamiya XF-16 Flat Aluminium on the Aussie bird. The rudder almost always looks darker than the rest of the airframe in photos, a fact mentioned in the Red Roo decal instructions, so I did two coats of Flat Black followed by two of X-32 Titanium Silver (not applied here). The effect looks right to me, although I'm kicking myself for not buying more Tamiya Acrylic Thinner before using the X-32. It gets more gloopy the more you use.

Here's where I left it last night (Red Roo resin CAC wheels and tyres now fitted). The whole thing (apart from canopy and windscreen, and gear) has received a coat of Humbrol Gloss in preparation for decals. The eagle-eyed among you may see the guns appear to be rounded - both AUB and CCG had domed covers over where the gun barrels protrude from the wing leading edges. A few passes with a sanding stick and voila! Instant civilianisation!

The decals should go on AUB this weekend...unless the Mosquito flies, in which case I plan to spend Saturday drooling over that silver warbird instead. CCG will need to wait.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
Re: Antipodean civil Mustang x2
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 12:13:35 PM »
Got lots of pics of Col Pays' P-51 (somewhere) mostly from air shows at RAAF Richmond or HMAS Albatross, I'll look forward to this build :)
I know there are slides of a civil P-51 with Mobil logos from a 60's air show at Richmond, wonder if it's the Kiwi bird?
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 02:49:44 PM »
2 Mustangs built in parallel? Would you join them into kinda Twin-Mustang Double-51? completing the 82... ;)

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 07:50:34 AM »
FAAMAN - I don't think ZK-CCG ever went to Oz. I know there were a few BP- and Castrol-sponsored Mustangs there, though.

She's done, but I need to take some glamour shots. A fun build and the Red Roo decals were great.
Zac in NZ

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 02:58:54 PM »
Super build and finish :) :) :) 8)
Looks like the civil registered P-51D VH-BOB :-*

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 10:38:28 PM »
Neat! :) 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 11:32:59 AM »
Looks like the civil registered P-51D VH-BOB :-*
I'm tempted to build that next! The two wear very, very similar schemes.
Zac in NZ

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 12:34:39 PM »
Yes please KIWI :)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 06:12:55 AM »
Wow is that crackerjack, Zac!

Nice shot of the old rubber band trick. Been there many times. Worked a treat on your Mustang!

Brian da Basher

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 04:11:20 AM »
Thanks Brian! The Kiwi one is still waiting for paint, hopefully I can get to that in the near future. I tried taking some glamour shots of 'AUB but sun + white background + silver aircraft = one very dark model!
Zac in NZ