Author Topic: Blackburn B.47 Basilisk  (Read 8063 times)

Online Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
Blackburn B.47 Basilisk
« on: July 22, 2013, 06:58:08 PM »
The Blackburn B.47

In 1944 the Air Ministry issued Specification N.11/44, for a long range naval fighter using initially a large piston engine  The specification also called for an airframe design that would be able to take a turboprop engine when a suitable unit was available. There was a parallel specification for the Royal Air Force, F.13/44, for which Hawker and Blackburn submitted designs.  Hawker submitted their competing W.3427; a development of the Tempest. Blackburn their B.47, a new design which featured a pusher prop and twin booms.  The RAF however cancelled the Operational Requirement when in 1945 it was decided that all future fighter aircraft would be jet powered.

Whereas Hawker abandoned the W.3427, Blackburn persisted with their B.47.  Westland submitted their W.34 to the Royal Navy under N.11.44.  Blackburn submitted their B.47 as well.  While the W.34 was fairly conventional, albeit it with the engine originally mounted amidships, the B.47 was quite radical with it's pusher propeller aircraft and twin-booms.  The W.34 quickly changed during the design to a normal front mounted engine.  It was initially powered by the Rolls-Royce Eagle 22 a 24-cylinder H-block piston engine unrelated to the First World War-era engine of the same name, which developed 3,200hp.  The B.47 was initially designed for the Napier Sabre E.122 or Mk.VIII, liquid cooled, H-block engine which developed 3,500hp.  In both cases, the development of jet engines meant that these massive piston engines were abandoned by their manufacturers.  The W.34 moved onto the Rolls-Royce Clyde, a Turboprop engine.  As we know, the Clyde in turn was cancelled and the W.34 ended up with the Armstrong-Siddely Python Turboprop engine.  The B.47 faced similar problems.  After the cancellation of the Sabre VIII, Blackburns turned to another promising Napier product, the Nomad diesel turbo-compound engine, only to see that cancelled as well.  In turn, another Napier product, which was in the early stages of development, the Eland Turboprop was selected.  By now, the W.34 had flown in prototype form on 12 December 1946, with the Eagle powerplant.  The B.47 had also flown in prototype with the Sabre VIII powering it approximately a month later.  In both cases, the change of powerplant necessitated considerable redesign.

The Admiralty, intrigued by the possibilities of the Blackburn B.47, ordered a prototype both as what would be known today as a "technology demonstrator" and as a backup against the failure of the W.34.  Both aircraft were bestowed with the names of mythical beasts.  The Westland the Wyvern, the Blackburn, the Basilisk, another type of mythical Dragon of legend.  Blackburn had many technical problems to be ironed out.  Perhaps the largest was that of the location of the arrestor hook.  Obviously the pusher airscrew prevented it being in the normal tail most position.  It also could not be attached to the tailbooms in case of breakage, leading to asymetric loads on the airframe and the arrester cable.  So, instead, they placed it much further forward, just behind the cockpit and it was considerably longer as well, to ensure clearance of the airscrew.  The undercarriage was also of considerable length and strength.  After it's initial flights with the Sabre, the Nomad was, as already related selected to replace it and the first prototype was taken in hand by the workshop to fit the new engine.  However, the Nomad's cancellation prevented that.  It languished for almost two years in the workshops until a replacement for the Nomad was found.  In the meantime, the Wyvern had been selected to fulfil the FAA role, having flown successfully with the Python.  Blackburn as a consolation received permission to offer the aircraft on the export market.  After a sales drive, it found favour amongst several emerging British client states and allies.  It was found easy to fly and in it's strike form carried a heavy air-to-ground armament.  Flying nearly as fast as a jet but with considerably more economy, the Basilisk found favour with several air forces. The Basilisk S.1 was selected by Iraq as well as Chile, Peru and Japan to equip their air forces.  India nearly bought it as well but in the end opted for an all jet air force as well.

In Iraqi hands it was instrumental in defeating several of the attempted coups which tried to overthrow the Monarchy of King Faisal II.  On each occassion, the loyal intervention of the Royal Iraqi Air Force (RIAF) ensured that the rebels were crushed.  Known as the "shok'et mer'i de'velle" (Forked Tailed Devil) it's rapid approach and mass rocket attacks were devastating.  Armed with a combination of bombs, rockets and cannon, the Basilisk was famous throughout the Middel-East as the "beast that would turn you to stone if you gazed upon it."   It's history in Southern America was similar, where it quelled several rebellions and in one case, actually secured a revolution when it's pilots went over to the rebels, rather than fight for the repressive government.

The Model

The model is a combination of an Eastern Express Sea Vixen and an Academy F-3h Banshee with Heritage Aviation's 1/48 Seafire contra-props.   Loads of PSR and plasticard to make the wings match.  The undercarriage is scratchbuilt using spare wheels, brass and copper tubing and wire.  I must say, the Eastern Express Sea Vixen is a horrible kit. Of what I used (wing roots, tailbooms), little actually lined up very well.  Oh and the markings are from the Premier "Baghdad Fury" kit.

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
Re: Blackburn B.47 Basilisk
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 09:01:52 PM »
 We've built old kits before, aye... ;)

That is one sexy beast, Rickshaw. I'll have to look for those Heritage props myself - nothing says
 "POWER!" like an ovesized contra-prop.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 03:36:29 AM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 06:17:26 AM »
Interesting combination of McDonnell Banshee with the De Havilland Sea Vixen. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 08:43:48 AM »
 :-* Nice mix, thank you!

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 03:52:09 PM »
Luverly that one is!
Were going to be finished in 2020 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - Maybe When Hell Freezes Over - again? - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Stud

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 03:41:37 AM »
Well done and hits some of the finer points of whiffery:

1. Twin Booms

2. Pusher Prop

3. Contra-Prop

4. Small Air Forces markings

A home run! Huzzah!

Brian da Basher

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 04:47:01 AM »

I would like to add:  Splendid combination of McDonnell Banshee with the De Havilland Sea Vixen.
Do I like this configuration and way its built? --- A BUNCH   :-*
How is it this particular kitbash concept came to mind?
Happen to have both kits out at same time fiddling with parts to see if some pieces matched up OK when suddenly you saw it in minds eye, or had concept in mind and went looking for right kits to use?

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 04:55:32 AM »
Nice looking plane. It looks like it has the XP-67 as one of its ancestors!

Online Rickshaw

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 12:52:48 PM »

I would like to add:  Splendid combination of McDonnell Banshee with the De Havilland Sea Vixen.
Do I like this configuration and way its built? --- A BUNCH   :-*
How is it this particular kitbash concept came to mind?
Happen to have both kits out at same time fiddling with parts to see if some pieces matched up OK when suddenly you saw it in minds eye, or had concept in mind and went looking for right kits to use?

I was thinking about building a pusher and decided to use the Sea Vixen as a base, inverting it so that the booms could act as the wheel wells.  I realised that the fuselage was far too wide and that using it wouldn't work so shopped around and decided to use the Banshee.  Then it became a battle to make the inner wings work with the Banshee and I realise the Sea Vixen wings were far too large and of course swept so I then decided to use the Banshee wings on there as well, so it then became an effort to make them fit.  I quite like the stooped forward look that resulted.

It was a bit more of an evolutionary process than I normally use for Whiffs.  "Making it up as I go along" doesn't suit me.  Looking back, I think I'd have preferred a longer nose on it but apart from that it's turned out quite well.

Offline finsrin

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 01:53:21 PM »
So..... had a concept in mind along with a base kit.  Then went looking for another kit that would make it all work.
Interesting how different build configurations come about for each builder.
Ones I posted have been pick a kit any scale with no concept.  Browse other kits any scale until a 1/72 idea pops up.
Frank3k having mentioned it.  I also see "the XP-67 as one of its ancestors! "

Offline ChrisF

• Doesn't mind rough when he knows its gonna be rough...
  • Ham-fisted? Maybe. Master modeller? Definitely!
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2013, 09:28:00 AM »
That is quite quite mad... STERLING WORK SIR KEEP IT UP !!  :)  :)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2013, 02:38:43 AM »
Just looking at this again - I reckon the undercarriage might have been a reason for its failure with the FAA - those rear legs look very 'stalky'. ;)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline finsrin

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 06:11:22 PM »
Browsing prior postings.  Yes, could beef up landing gear.  This is a great configuration :)
Fascinating what each person can see as kitbashing combinations.
Can learn from them all, problem is can't remember them all.  Hence browse back at times.

Online Rickshaw

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 09:54:41 PM »
i agree that the undercarriage is very "stalky".   Problem was getting some prop clearance when the aircraft rotates.  Part of the reason why I added the lower fins on the booms - in order to protect the prop tips.   The 1/48 prop is very large but if I'd used a 1/72 one, it would have looked too small in comparison to the aircraft.

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2014, 10:09:02 PM »
Reading again your backstory, I am puzzled: should/could I include the B.47 in my collection of twin-boomers designed in 1939-1945? (I mean: 1944). Or for that should I draw a piston engine version without the air intakes?
 :)

Online Rickshaw

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2014, 10:32:29 PM »
I think you could basically see it with the "one ton monster" - the Sabre engine.  That'd necessitate exhausts coming out of the fuselage sides, at the rear, above or below the wing.  You'd also need some quite large radiators and the present intake positions would serve quite well, I think or alternatively, smooth them over and put a scoop, either above or below the fuselage, closer to the engine.  Mmmm, I have another EE Sea Vixen in the stash, along with another Banshee.  Perhaps I should have a go at it?

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2014, 03:26:07 AM »
Thanks for this confirmation! :D
Well, I let you take care of details, I was mostly interested in the preliminary design, without proper engine cooling. I have elongated the booms to ease the reading of the drawing, and installed less-swept fins, to look more 1944...

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2014, 12:47:35 AM »
Wow  :-*
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Online Rickshaw

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2014, 06:17:25 PM »
Looking good Tophe.  8)

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2014, 01:03:27 AM »
Thanks to YOU, Rickshaw...

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2014, 11:29:36 AM »
Nice to see the Basilisk again. Thanks Tophe.
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz