Author Topic: U.S. Marine Corps F-101 Voodoo  (Read 1048 times)

Offline The Rat

• 70 years old, doesn't feel a day over 90.
  • Maybe I should take up the bagpipes.
U.S. Marine Corps F-101 Voodoo
« on: July 29, 2023, 10:54:24 AM »
U.S. Marine Corps F-101 Voodoo

As the middle of the 1950s approached, it became clear that American naval aviation would need to upgrade from subsonic types like the Grumman F-9 Cougar. There were misgivings about the upcoming Vought F7U Cutlass, which were soon proven accurate. Another Vought product, the F-8 Crusader, was offered, and went head to head with a McDonnell contender, a navalised version of the F-101 Voodoo. While the twin-engine arrangement of the Voodoo was tempting in terms of safety, the much lower weight of the Crusader gave it the edge, and it was adopted by the Navy and Marine Corps in 1957. The navalised Voodoo only existed as a sales mock-up, with a prototype only existing as an airframe awaiting conversion.

The Kit

The old old old Revell kit picked up at an antique shop in Tweed, Ontario. I took a look in the box to make sure that all the important bits were there, and the requisite cash was transferred. A more intense inventory at home found that one main gear leg and wheel were missing, no big deal - wheels up it is. Well, that idea didn't last long, but long enough for me to have already glued the main gear doors in place. Kit-bash worthy replacements from a Heller Mustang were salvaged, and gear doors were destroyed when prying them off. Meh, they were ugly-thick anyway, so new ones were cut from plastic sheet. Decals were from the equally old Aurora Skyknight. Paint was Tamiya X-3 Royal Blue. And it's done.
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: U.S. Marine Corps F-101 Voodoo
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2023, 10:39:26 PM »
 :smiley: :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2023, 06:42:39 AM »
Nice !  :smiley: :smiley:

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2023, 07:40:24 AM »
1. Very cool build Dave
2. I know where Tweed is
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2023, 08:45:39 AM »
1. Very cool build Dave
2. I know where Tweed is

1. It is indeed ... and based on what would have begun as a 'toy grade' kit no less. Impressive  :smiley:

2. But Tweed-resident Elvis Presley isn't worried by that Carl (at 88 years of age, he'll be hard to recognize down on River Street East, anyway)  ;)
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2023, 12:25:40 PM »
Very nice! Never thought of a blue Voodoo! You could always say the new tires and wheels were better able to take the abuse of carrier landings.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2023, 08:32:17 PM »
1. Very cool build Dave
2. I know where Tweed is

1. It is indeed ... and based on what would have begun as a 'toy grade' kit no less. Impressive  :smiley:

2. But Tweed-resident Elvis Presley isn't worried by that Carl (at 88 years of age, he'll be hard to recognize down on River Street East, anyway)  ;)

Actually Stephen, when I last stopped in at the Timmies on Moira St, I may have seen him in corner chowing down on a 20 pack of Tim bits! But I was a dine-n-dash that night.

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2023, 02:55:36 AM »
Actually Stephen, when I last stopped in at the Timmies on Moira St, I may have seen him in corner chowing down on a 20 pack of Tim bits! But I was a dine-n-dash that night.

Yup, that would have been EAP.

The TimbitsŪ were probably just to keep his strength up before hitting Tweedy's Classic Scoops for a cheeseburger platter with a side o' poutine washed down by a couple of sundaes. Fortunately, those sparky jumpsuits can have gussets let in to ease an XXL out into a jumbo 3X  :smiley:
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline The Rat

• 70 years old, doesn't feel a day over 90.
  • Maybe I should take up the bagpipes.
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2023, 09:40:28 AM »

I know that Timmies, Janis Joplin works the counter there.
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2023, 07:00:54 PM »

I know that Timmies, Janis Joplin works the counter there.

LOL!

Did I see Jim Morrison at the drive thru?

For those who are interested in this important part of Canadiana: https://goo.gl/maps/4w9uGQD72SSeQRJ6A
« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 07:03:05 PM by The Big Gimper »

Offline John Howling Mouse

• The King Of Absurdia
  • Have vacformer, will travel.
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2023, 04:52:42 AM »
Navalized Voodoo: NICE!
Saving the globe from plastic pollution one kitbashed model at a time.