Author Topic: Mythical Mustangs of the Not-a-vakian Air Force  (Read 2343 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Mythical Mustangs of the Not-a-vakian Air Force
« on: May 03, 2019, 05:02:21 AM »

For most of its existence, the tiny nation of Not-a-vakia never needed of an air arm. The remote, mountainous country was a poor, simple land populated by poor, simple people.

Throughout its recorded history, this insignificant part of central Europe had been a model of stability guided by hereditary monarchs. Everything changed when two unstable men took power in the post-war chaos.

These two wild & crazy guys wanted to modernize their country and bring it into the 20th century. Unfortunately, their unhinged approach probably set back progress at least a generation.

However, things were different when it came to defense. After W.W. II, the Americans couldn't get out of this backwards, backwoods backwater fast enough and abandoned most of their equipment in their haste to leave. Thus Not-a-vakia suddenly found itself with enough modern fighter aircraft to form an air force.

While the North American P-51s left behind were mostly in good order, numerous ground-handling accidents caused by untrained crew forced replacement of the Mustangs' props with 3-bladed ones fabricated locally by some wild & crazy craftsmen.

The sharp-eyed will notice a discrepancy between the serial number on the tail and the fuselage codes. While one could be forgiven for thinking Not-a-vakia had a fighter strength of over 7000, only 175 Mustangs were ever put into service and 15 of them were either wrecked beyond repair by careening crews or used for parts to keep the rest flying.

The Not-a-vakian Mustangs would go on to serve for the next ten years until the country was 302'd by the United Nations and not allowed out on the world stage without supervision.

At the time of Not-a-vakia's involuntary commitment, only 17 Mustangs were left, none of them airworthy, so they were scrapped. All that remains of a once wild & crazy air force is this desk-top model which was purchased off E-bay U.K. for the "Buy It Now You Pillock!" price of 51 p.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 05:41:11 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
Tempted To Do Model Renderings Of This Mythical State
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 05:27:56 AM »

Quite good sized lawn signs proliferate here in western "El DoDo" County  ;)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: Mythical Mustangs of the Not-a-vakian Air Force
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 05:34:49 AM »
This all started when a bagged 1/72 Heller P-51D showed up in the mail (thanks a million, hamsterman!) and who doesn't like Mustangs?

Since it was bagged, there wasn't any box art, nor were there instructions, but there were some nice decals.

Lack of instructions didn't deter me and the kit seemed oddly familiar even though I don't recall building one from this maker before. Maybe I first came across it in my youth and forgot but gluing pieces of it to my forehead stirred up long-lost memories. I didn't remember to take sprue shots or in-progress pics, but this isn't some rare, esoteric kit and I imagine most of you seen one.

While unintended, I built this in sort of an "old guy's" blitz over 24 hours, starting yesterday. It went together smoothly after parts cleanup and test-fitting. No putty needed, but Lock-Tite gel CA, clothespins and the old rubber band trick made that possible. After half an hour, my Mustang was assembled except for the prop, canopy and exhausts so it was off to the paint shop.

The old hairy stick was loaded up with Model Masters Light Sea Gray acrylic which went on like a dream. The exhausts were done with Jet Exhaust and the wing guns given a custom mix. The canopy was tinted on the inside with Insignia Blue and another custom mix was used on the anti-glare panel (crucial on all-gray aircraft, no doubt).

Decals were all from spares. After acquiring kits, etc. for the last 15 years, I ended up with a bunch of off-register Airfix RAF roundels (the 1970's were a bit hit-or-miss for them just like they were for the rest of us). Well, waste not, want not so I figured out I could use them if I applied a new center section. Using Swiss markings set on an angle, the Not-a-vakian Air Force was born.

This Mustang model was just what I needed since it was such an easy build. I was so relaxed, I didn't want to bother painting another prop, so I found one from a Hasegawa P-40E that fit nicely. Before I forget, here's the "money shot" American p for scale.

I'd like to thank Bill for his thoughtfulness in sending the kit. I couldn't have done it without him!

I hope you enjoyed the Not-a-vakian Mustang and reading a little more forgotten aircraft history even if the so-called "experts" think it's all too wild & crazy.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 05:47:50 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 07:06:50 AM »
Was wondering about 3-blade prop.  You explained it clearly.  Decal bashing came out fine.  Oh,,, excellent research on background. :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 07:32:40 AM »
Nice one, BdB! :smiley: :smiley:

The 3-blade prop, strangely, makes quite a subtle impression & threw my perception out for a bit, especially as the belly scoop isn't obvious in most of the photo's..
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 09:49:50 AM »
Delightful concept, presentation, and backstory.  Your usual excellent piece of historical trivia.

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 10:37:09 AM »
Who doesn't love a WHIFF'ed 'Stang  8) 8) 8) 8)
Very cool with the three bladed prop  :smiley: :smiley:
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Jacques Deguerre

• Older and fatter but not wiser.
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2019, 10:50:23 AM »
Well, they may have been utterly inept but at least their Mustangs looked good! Now I’m really curious about what sort of equipment the Not-a-vakian Army used in the post-war era.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2019, 04:08:47 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2019, 05:55:24 AM »
Great markings (the roundel story matching nicely the chaotic nature of Not-avakia). Great fit on the P-40 prop too  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2019, 03:25:03 PM »
Nice one, BdB! :smiley: :smiley:

The 3-blade prop, strangely, makes quite a subtle impression & threw my perception out for a bit, especially as the belly scoop isn't obvious in most of the photo's..

I went through exactly the same thought process.

Another Da Basher gem  :smiley:

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2019, 04:20:12 AM »

The real world light weight XP-51F had a 3 bladed prop:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.