Author Topic: Focke Wulf Fw 190V-18 1/72 scale MPM kit no.72033  (Read 17650 times)

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
Focke Wulf Fw 190V-18 1/72 scale MPM kit no.72033
« on: May 03, 2019, 03:59:00 PM »
Firstly, my dear WIFEU bought me a 12mth subscription to Flickr so I can fix the posts I've done with Drive and get back to modelling.

Built over a number of years mostly due to frustration with the kit/builder interface, even did something else for about 10 months or so, but finally it's finished.

Focke Wulf Fw 190V-18 Wkn.0040 CF+OY 1/72 scale MPM Kit No.72033. Built 05Oct2015 to 13Apr2019.  :icon_surprised:
The box,
0001. TheBox by Neil, on Flickr

A quick note on the kit, the model is just plain incorrect OOB, a characterture of the real thing, and even with all the work I've put into it, it's still not right at all. Too many shape, proportion and symmetry problems to sort and in the end I just needed to finish it as I had started it in Oct2015. At best it can only be an approximate model in 1/72 scale of the V-18 and although I'm very pleased with my finish and how it looks it's not up to the standards of most.

A bit of history,

"The Fw 190V-18 was originally an Fw 190A-0 W.No.0040 CF+OY that was modified for high altitude work by Kurt Tank originally utilising a Daimler Benz DB603G engine, but due to development probs with the engine the aircraft stood in a separate hangar for weeks so Tank decided to install an interim installation of a DB603A-1 with the TK9AC Hirth turbocharger, designed to boost power output in the rarefied air at high altitude and fitted with a four blade propeller. It turned out that there were not going to be any problems installing the engine, the turbocharger was going to require a number constructional changes. It was fitted below the fuselage with the large air intake, reminiscent of the P-51 Mustang, almost touching the ground! The engineers used a turbine propelled by the engine exhaust fumes, which were transferred by two long ducting pipes' running along the fuselage sides. The turbine propelled a compressor and the compressed air was cooled and delivered to the engine compressor.
When all that had been dealt with, the engineers and mechanics stood round their creation to have a look at it. One of them said carelessly "Look what we've created." "A 'kangaroo'" another one replied.
The name was unofficially accepted, and from then on, both DB603-fitted machines were called 'Kangaroos' at Focke Wulf. An unfortunate name really as they were really only capable of short 'hops'. Foreseeing flight stability problems, the engineers gave the Fw 190V-18 a broader chord vertical stab and rudder.
On 10Dec1942 the V-18 was sent to Daimler Benz at Echterdingen, where factory test pilots could not handle it at all. The aircraft would rather jump than fly. "After all, it's a Kangaroo," one pilot reportedly said. Therefore Kurt Tank instructed Focke Wulf's chief test pilot, Hptm Hans Sander, to personally test the V-18 in flight.
On a cold January morning Hans Sander climbed into the cockpit and commenced take-off procedures. Getting airborne correctly he climbed and disappeared into the cloudy sky. Less than an hour later he returned to the field and on landing the aircraft rapidly dropped it's tail the tailwheel hitting the ground. The aircraft leapt just like it's namesake!! If it were not for Sander's experience he would've been killed, but he managed to wrestle the aircraft back to a three point landing as he would have with a normal Fw 190. Even so, the V-18's tail rose a few more times causing some rapid changes of taxi direction before coming to a stop. He switched of the engine, and sat motionless in the cockpit for a while taking deep breaths. When the designers ran up to the cockpit, he got out and discussed the flight with them; unstable in the climb, impossible to trim with a tendency to snake at altitude. He then proceeded to fly nine more take offs and thankfully for him as many landings before he informed Tank the aircraft was a complete failure and indeed dangerous for pilots at this stage. It had multiple stability and power problems, leading Sander to conclude that it was completely unsuitable for flying before extensive modifications were carried out.
A special team of Focke Wulf technicians and Daimler Benz engineers were immediately set to work on the problems, just where to start? It was now called the Fw 190V-18/U1 and flew another 30 hours with various mods without any considerable improvement to it's performance or handling. When the V-18 achieved 680kph at 11000m the engineers were delighted but an irritated Sander stated "I could have achieved the same without that damn supercharger!"
This was not the end of the 'kangaroo' saga as Fock Wulf built a further five prototypes based on the Fw 190A-1 incorporating the lessons learned by the V-18 during it's flights. Slowly this attempt to produce an FW 190C was abandoned."

The finished build, 
362. FinishedB by Neil, on Flickr
363. FinishedC by Neil, on Flickr
365. FinishedE by Neil, on Flickr
366. Fin by Neil, on Flickr
367. Fin by Neil, on Flickr
370. Fin by Neil, on Flickr
369. Fin by Neil, on Flickr
372. Fin by Neil, on Flickr
391. Fin by Neil, on Flickr
390. Fin by Neil, on Flickr
383. Fin by Neil, on Flickr
374. Fin by Neil, on Flickr
376. Fin by Neil, on Flickr
378. Fin by Neil, on Flickr
379. Fin by Neil, on Flickr
380. Fin by Neil, on Flickr
381. Fin by Neil, on Flickr
384. Fin by Neil, on Flickr
386. Fin by Neil, on Flickr
387. Fin by Neil, on Flickr
388. fin by Neil, on Flickr
389. Fin by Neil, on Flickr

A very long and involved build but I'm quite happy with the finished product as long as I don't look too hard  8)
And yes the "Sorta Stang" and the "Sorta Stang II" were built during this build, along with a "few" others that have not quite reached the finished milestone, plus I've just started a pair of OOB builds, well as OOB as I can get that is  ::)

For those interested in the build saga here's some links,
Workbench build here ;  faaman-s-workbenches-t47233.html#p707723
Workbench continuation here ;  faaman-s-workbenches-t47233-s240.html#p795415

Regards all  :smiley:
FAA  8) 8) 8) 8)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Antonio Sobral

• Building and painting tiny little things!
  • Greetings from Portugal
Re: Focke Wulf Fw 190V-18 1/72 scale MPM kit no.72033
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 05:26:21 PM »
Beautiful! Love the painting job!

Did not know this 190 version, but it is surely food for thought for some whifs variants. :)

Thanks for sharing!

Offline Kelmola

• Seeking motivation to start buillding the stash
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 05:32:13 PM »
Nice. Looks like a whiff already 8)

I assume that if the 190C had ever gone to production, the ducting would have been at least covered, if it was not possible to place it inside the fuse? Now it looks like a very vulnerable spot for a combat aircraft.

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 07:25:41 PM »
Thanks for the comments gents  :smiley:
To the best of the info at hand there is no room in the '190 airframe for the needed amount of ducting nor no way of protecting structures and ancillary equipment from exhaust heat with the ducting within the fuselage. Susceptible to damage or not it fulfilled the function, would have been cooled by out side air temp IF it the mods had worked and not underperformed or tried to kill it's pilots, or both  :o

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 08:32:27 PM »
Well, whatever it is or isn't, Neil, it looks the business! 8)

Very, very good looking build! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 10:55:45 PM »
This is one of my favorite Fw-190 variants and I've never seen it modeled better!

Your work on the metal parts is outstanding and the faded look of the color scheme is very pleasing to the eye.

Most excellent!

Brian da Basher

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 11:32:25 PM »
Beautiful build of a less than successful design.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2019, 11:39:31 PM »
When I first saw that kit years ago, I thought it was a very interesting aircraft. I didn't realize it was such a dog in real life though, as I've not got into German stuff to bother researching any of it.

Very nicely done though   :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2019, 04:41:50 AM »
Very nice work.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2019, 05:45:26 AM »
Lovely work! I've always liked the look of the Känguruh and you've caught that to a tee. Good stuff  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2019, 09:08:59 AM »
Thank you gentlemen for the great comments. Makes the years of frustration and downright anger, at times all worth it.
I was actually on the verge of giving up the hobby at one point, I'd received some very negative comments on my prior modeling evaporating my mojo (I stopped for six months), so thanks again gents.
When I bought this kit at a second hand dealers' store here in Sydney in 1995 (? I think) I was quite excited as it was VERY different from the run of the mill '190's. I'd only ever seen a small pic of the V-18 from the forward starboard quarter and to find a kit in "God's One True Scale" was fantastic, got it home and opened it up for a looksee . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  :o :o
The model was only a "representation" of what it was supposed to be, there would be ALOT of work to "correct" this and I'd need references (and skills) to do it.
So it went into the stash until 2015 and thought I'd have a go. It was worse than I thought, a complete pig of a kit, nice decals though :))

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2019, 09:15:40 AM »

I was actually on the verge of giving up the hobby at one point, I'd received some very negative comments on my prior modeling evaporating my mojo (I stopped for six months), so thanks again gents.

I'm glad you didn't and it also helps with what forum you're on too. I've stopped visiting some of them just because of the negativity on those forums.

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2019, 09:29:27 AM »

I'm glad you didn't and it also helps with what forum you're on too. I've stopped visiting some of them just because of the negativity on those forums.
Your modeling work is very good FAAMAN, appreciate seeing the photos. Ten months ago the webmaster of a well-known commercial modeling forum slapped a 24-hour hold on my posts for making an "Amen" to a supposed political comment by another member, forthwith quit it. Previously I'd participated in a number of group builds there well as posting my then entire photo collection of built Italian warbirds, started all over again posting them on another website that's been offline near two months now; indeed glad y'all like my modeling work.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 10:21:47 AM by Retired In Kalifornia »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2019, 09:25:51 PM »
Modelling is a HOBBY, it's supposed to be fun! When it stops being fun, it's no longer a hobby.

If you enjoy spending hundreds of dollars, or hundreds of hours correcting every little error in a produced kit, go for it! If you'd rather build it as it came out of the box, great! If you'd prefer to toss some parts into the spares bin, grab a few other parts out & throw them all together to make a submarine-helicopter-dirigible, knock yourself out, mate! :smiley:

You paid for the bloody thing, it's yours to do with as you will. So, go do that & HAVE FUN!

When people start trolling either the moderators should jump on them, swiftly & hard, or you leave the site & find somewhere better.

That's why I like 3 sites, total (Beyond the Sprues, What If Modelers & Starship Modeler (when/if I can find the time)), because I have yet to see any real nastiness on any of them (occasional misunderstandings, yes; especially by modellers new to the site over constructive criticisms offered in good faith) &, when push comes to shove, most of the time they don't care if the posted model is a whif, sci-fi or RW & they'll appreciate the job no matter the individual's skill level.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 09:27:56 PM by Old Wombat »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2019, 12:45:11 AM »
Modelling is a HOBBY, it's supposed to be fun! When it stops being fun, it's no longer a hobby.

If you enjoy spending hundreds of dollars, or hundreds of hours correcting every little error in a produced kit, go for it! If you'd rather build it as it came out of the box, great! If you'd prefer to toss some parts into the spares bin, grab a few other parts out & throw them all together to make a submarine-helicopter-dirigible, knock yourself out, mate! :smiley:

You paid for the bloody thing, it's yours to do with as you will. So, go do that & HAVE FUN!

When people start trolling either the moderators should jump on them, swiftly & hard, or you leave the site & find somewhere better.

That's why I like 3 sites, total (Beyond the Sprues, What If Modelers & Starship Modeler (when/if I can find the time)), because I have yet to see any real nastiness on any of them (occasional misunderstandings, yes; especially by modellers new to the site over constructive criticisms offered in good faith) &, when push comes to shove, most of the time they don't care if the posted model is a whif, sci-fi or RW & they'll appreciate the job no matter the individual's skill level.
Amen here. Website I was slapped with a 24-hour post hold is dominated by military vehicle builders, nobody picked on me save one sporting a General Buck Turgidson avatar, others had issues with him as well, lotta good aviation builders there, am guessing some post on this website as well.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2019, 04:57:47 AM »
Great job! The more I looked at it the more I realized there was a lot more detail and shape difference than just a -190 with some stuff added on. more interesting the longer you look.  :smiley:
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2019, 10:32:46 AM »
Thankyou for the great comment Taiidanntomcat, it took a long while to sort the actual shapes of the nose, exhausts etc, not to mention the hideous "pebbly' interiored canopy transparency.

Thank you all for the support and kind comments gents  :smiley:

Wombat thank you especially (your comment on this V-18 was very generous) and although I don't know if I'll ever produce your "submarine-helicopter-dirigible" but I do have a few full WHIFFS underway, a "different" Skyvan, two A-4B Skyhawks one relatively straightforward WHIFF and one "outrageous" one. A HMS Devonshire WHIFF in 1/600 plus a few "others" in planning ;) All of these came to a screaming halt when the mojo was damaged, but they'll be back underway soon now, well as soon as my time allows and the two OOB . . . (yeah right) . . . builds I started a week ago are done.

Regards all and thanks again,
Cheers all  :icon_beer: :icon_beer:
FAA  8) 8)

Online Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2019, 02:32:10 AM »

Incredibly well said OW, its the reason why i settled on BTS as my modelling home.

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Online Robomog

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2019, 02:33:29 AM »
Impressive build, love all the weathering.

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2019, 04:59:28 AM »
Incredibly well said OW, its the reason why i settled on BTS as my modelling home.

Seconded. For some out there, 'hobby' seems to mean being a complete buzz-kill  :P

So, a big thanks to Greg, Jon, the Mods, and ... well, everyone on BTS!  :D
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2019, 07:26:04 AM »
Coolest-looking 190 there is!  8) And a jolly nice build, too. Love that you've added a pilot.  :smiley:
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2019, 06:34:04 PM »
Thanks for that ChernayaAkula, greatly appreciated and I'm glad you like my modified Matchbox pilot  :smiley: :smiley:
Thank you to everyone else for the kind comments also, sorry I didn't reply earlier  ;) :smiley:

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2019, 01:54:27 PM »
On Saturday 07Sep2019 I attended the Sydney Scale Model Show and for the first time in 30 years I entered some of my models  :o

I actually entered three in the "Small Scale Propeller" class/category. My two "Sorta Stangs" (much to the amusement of the older modellers who remembered them, and consternation of the younger modellers) and my Fw 190V-18.

My three on the table, the Claude was very nice too,
20190907_110945cropS by Neil, on Flickr

The competition,
20190907_110954cropS by Neil, on Flickr

20190907_111626cropS by Neil, on Flickr

20190907_111629cropS by Neil, on Flickr

20190907_111650cropS by Neil, on Flickr

20190907_114336cropS by Neil, on Flickr

20190907_114400cropS by Neil, on Flickr

I had picked the Ki-67 Hiriyu (Peggy) for first and the P-47N for first/second and the amazing Beaufighter display "Coming in Hot" for a place so you can imagine my consternation after judging was finished when I got back to the table,
20190907_154440cropS by Neil, on Flickr

The Ki-67 won second,
20190907_154345cropS by Neil, on Flickr

The P-47N won third,
20190907_154351cropS by Neil, on Flickr

So we had to wait for the announcements in the auditorium.
When they announced my Fw had won gold, I did was just a little shocked  ??? and very pleasantly surprised  ;D
20190907_161350cropS by Neil, on Flickr

At home with her medal just to make sure,  :))
20190907_200104cropS by Neil, on Flickr

Sure glad I persevered with the hobby and this Fw build, still on a bit of a high that even my boss can't quite damage ;) ;)

Regards and cheers all  :icon_beer: :icon_beer: :icon_beer: :icon_beer: :icon_beer:
FAA  8) 8)

Online Robomog

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2019, 05:10:17 PM »
Congratulations on the win !

Well deserved  :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2019, 07:31:14 PM »
That's one fantastic FW and a very well-earned 1st!

It looks like there was some very robust competition too.

Always great to see a "local" BtS boy make good.

Brian da Basher