Author Topic: 1/72 Starling Night-Fighter from Bits & Pieces  (Read 4008 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
1/72 Starling Night-Fighter from Bits & Pieces
« on: December 17, 2012, 06:09:47 AM »
While iconic aircraft such as the Supermarine Spitfire are household names today, often forgotten are the precursors that preceded them. One such aircraft was the mid-1930s night-fighter, the Supermarine Starling.

Developed to meet Air Ministry requirement 05/34, the new aircraft was seen as ideal to meet the threat of a massive night bombing attack upon Britain. Powered by the Bristol Jerkery radial engine and having cutting-edge features such as a cantilever wing, retractable landing gear and an enclosed cockpit, the new night-fighter handily passed all tests and was christened the Supermarine Starling after a test-squadron was ordered in mid-1936.

Finished in an updated version of N.I.V.O. (Night Invisible Varnish, Ordfordness) camouflage, the fast new night-fighter was featured in press & newsreels of the time, making the British feel safe from surprise night attack.

This sense of security would soon be put to the test.

Unknown to most, the fighters of the R.A.F. were but part of the defense. The crucial piece of the puzzle was early detection. It was hoped that new radar stations would make that easy.

On the evening of March 30, 1937, the "chain home" radar stations were inundated with signals. It seemed a massive, surprise attack was underway. R.A.F. Fighter Command was stunned as the information came in.

The test squadron of Starlings was scrambled without delay.

However, the source of the commotion was not what Fighter Command was anticipating.

Starlings flew at various courses and altitudes, trying to find the threat. It wasn't until dawn that the enemy was finally spotted.

Once this got out, politicians opposed to military spending had a field day. It was determined that the Chancellor of the Exchequer had spent approximately £1000 per bird to defend Britain on the night of March 30th. This spelled doom for the Supermarine Starling.

However, the design was not entirely forgotten and would soon lead to the famous Spitfire of World War II fame.

Well as with most things, this project started simply enough with a box of parts, mostly Airfix.

The rudder is leftover from an Airfix Me-109 and was given a new fin cut from sheet stock.

The wings and fuselage are from a Spitfire of course. The canopy is from an Academy P-40 and the tailplanes are actually from a Revell Nieuport 28.

The engine is from an Airfix Aichi Val. I wish I could remember where the propeller came from.

The entire model is brush-painted by hand with acrylics and the project took me five days from start to finish.

I hope my Starling has-been was good for a laugh or two. It was a lot of fun to put together.

After this, maybe you'll see flocks of birds a little differently.

Brian da Basher

Offline deathjester

• 'Remember - Tiredness Kills Hedgehogs...!'
  • His Mother-in-law has Tardis pockets...
    • stormfront models
Re: 1/72 Starling Night-Fighter from Bits & Pieces
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 06:20:42 AM »
Brilliant mate!  I would say 'Spat-tastic'! - but it hasn't got any!!  :o

Wouldn't it also look great as an updated aircraft for the AVG??

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 06:24:27 AM »
It amazes me at how you can re-purpose model parts and other things to build your ideas in solid form. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 08:35:59 AM »
Indeed! A brilliant bit of recycling. The tailplane melage is especially good. Well done Brian  :)
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 08:43:56 AM »
Beautiful!!  And a most amusing backstory.

Offline sotoolslinger

• A World Champion Blackbelt in Putty-Foo…the man means business (just look at his photo!)
  • Look at the banner and you will see his work.
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 11:17:21 AM »
What they said :-* :) Frikken nifty

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 04:05:20 PM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 02:49:01 AM »
The rudder is leftover from an Airfix Me-109 and was given a new fin cut from sheet stock.
The wings and fuselage are from a Spitfire of course. The canopy is from an Academy P-40 and the tailplanes are actually from a Revell Nieuport 28.
The engine is from an Airfix Aichi Val.
That explains why I felt unable to guess what was the source... What a mix! Congratulations! :-*

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 04:21:37 AM »
The undersized tail really adds a stylized look to the Starling; it reminds me of 1930s posters.