Author Topic: Boeing B-29 Superfortress ideas and inspiration  (Read 104553 times)

Re: Boeing B-29 Superfortress ideas and inspiration
« Reply #250 on: November 30, 2019, 06:25:50 PM »
I mentioned and dismissed the T34/C-97J option upthread. The earliest this is available is 54/55, by which time you might as well go for a RC-97J for the reconnaissance mission as it has substantially more internal volume available for equipment and operators. By the time a T34-B-29 comes to fruition for the crews' sake I hope it is in a stand-off role! Hmmm... USN GAM-63 Rascal toting B-29s for Sverdlov plinking?

Oh and in my defence, I only mentioned T40 as a way to get a B-29 turboprop variant in a timeframe that the B-29 is still something like a viable combat aircraft not because I thought it was a good idea!  :-\ ??? :))

Couple of other bad ideas that I may end up building:

A mixed wing of B-50s with a few knackered B-29s to bolster the numbers (B-29s used for training/as hacks etc) are forward deployed in Turkey when the Jupiter MRBM suffers a spate of pad explosions and is delayed, as a fig leaf deterrent. Then when Jupiter is finally deployed, rather than waste fuel bringing the B-29s back, they are gifted to Turkey (minus their more potent warloads of course). To compensate, Greece gets some RB-45s that were keeping an eye on the Aegean and Bulgaria re-converted back to the bomber role to maintain a semblance of balance.

Bell get a contract from Marquardt to test some of their ramjet designs so use modified surplus X-1s dropped from B-29s - essentially an unmanned X-1 with a conical-centrebody (MiG-21) nose intake and external booster rockets to get them up to speed. Ramjet development continues to the point we get baby Navahoes under B-29s....
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 01:56:58 AM by Empty Handed »

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #251 on: November 30, 2019, 10:52:48 PM »
Well the RAF used some Washington's up to 1958, in the ELINT role. They probably could have done with an engine upgrade by then ---  ;)

« Reply #252 on: December 01, 2019, 01:50:43 AM »
^ Ah well I was proceeding under the assumption of NIH syndrome for US as well as any potential US-sourced foreign B-29s. For some reason I regard the Washington as a separate entity to the B-29. Stupid brain! For British-refitted Washingtons, myriad options open up! Bristol Orions would be my preference or for a timeline closer to OTL, go with Tynes.

An Orion-Washington would be just fine for the later stages of Operation Firedog or Blue Steel trials as well as electronic shadow games above the Baltic....I'd still want the main deterrent in the hands of the V-Bombers though.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 02:09:20 AM by Empty Handed »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #253 on: December 01, 2019, 02:48:17 AM »
I mentioned and dismissed the T34/C-97J option upthread. The earliest this is available is 54/55, by which time you might as well go for a RC-97J for the reconnaissance mission as it has substantially more internal volume available for equipment and operators...

...Oh and in my defence, I only mentioned T40 as a way to get a B-29 turboprop variant in a timeframe that the B-29 is still something like a viable combat aircraft not because I thought it was a good idea!  :-\ ??? :))

Fair enough.  I got led astray by the mention of T56s.

Other options might be some experimental versions using early British turboprops such as the Rolls-Royce RB.39 Clyde, Armstrong Siddeley Python or even Rolls-Royce RB.53 Dart.  These are all arguably available in the mid-late 1940s.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #254 on: December 01, 2019, 02:53:20 AM »
rather than waste fuel bringing the B-29s back, they are gifted to Turkey

Hmmm...a Türk Hava Kuvvetleri B-29 would be an interesting build.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #255 on: December 01, 2019, 02:54:58 AM »
^ Ah well I was proceeding under the assumption of NIH syndrome for US as well as any potential US-sourced foreign B-29s. For some reason I regard the Washington as a separate entity to the B-29. Stupid brain! For British-refitted Washingtons, myriad options open up! Bristol Orions would be my preference or for a timeline closer to OTL, go with Tynes.

An Orion-Washington would be just fine for the later stages of Operation Firedog or Blue Steel trials as well as electronic shadow games above the Baltic....I'd still want the main deterrent in the hands of the V-Bombers though.

Well 1/72 Tynes are available from Aircraft in Miniature

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #256 on: December 01, 2019, 10:43:41 AM »

Well 1/72 Tynes are available from Aircraft in Miniature

They are?  Where?  Do you have a link, please? 

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #257 on: December 01, 2019, 12:54:06 PM »

They don't seem to be in AIM catalogue at the moment. A set was sold as Transport Wings (TWC72031) "Canadair CL-44J Conversion (Tyne engines)" for the Mach 2 Britannia kit.

You may want to email them about future availability ... http://www.aim72.co.uk/page142.html
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #258 on: December 01, 2019, 09:04:03 PM »

They don't seem to be in AIM catalogue at the moment. A set was sold as Transport Wings (TWC72031) "Canadair CL-44J Conversion (Tyne engines)" for the Mach 2 Britannia kit.

You may want to email them about future availability ... http://www.aim72.co.uk/page142.html

Standalone Tynes would be a nice additional to their Dart engines.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #259 on: December 01, 2019, 10:30:36 PM »
It is as Stephen says, part of the CL-44 conversion set. You get them from Hannants. BTW, AiM hasn't updated their website since Aug 2018  -----   ???  I think they have a farcebook page but I don't go there so can't say for sure. I just check the Hannants AiM page periodically  ---

Below are the other bits you get in the CL-44 conversion, fuselage plugs and a clear windshield.

Offline tsrjoe

• Has been volunteered... for something...
« Reply #260 on: November 05, 2020, 12:00:41 AM »
FICTIONAL Boeing B.29 Washington variants by John Kacey 'Maverick' ...

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #261 on: November 05, 2020, 01:04:13 AM »
Been tempted, and collecting the parts, to model a RAAF B-44B "Washington Mk.II" with 2x ADEN 30mm cannon in each turret instead of 4x .50 machine guns (basically a similar approach to what the Soviets used on the Tu-4 turrets, relative the those on the B-29).

The RL XB-44 was a testbed for the R4360 installation that went into the B-50; this would just be a derivative for the RAAF.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #262 on: November 05, 2020, 01:23:55 AM »
One in a USAF flavour.

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #263 on: November 05, 2020, 01:28:38 AM »
Nice photo of a RAF Washington.
H/T to tsrjoe.

B-29 Washington with Red Rapier

WW353 also served with the RAAF: http://www.adf-serials.com.au/2a76.htm
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 07:13:23 AM by The Big Gimper »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #264 on: May 15, 2021, 03:32:42 AM »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #265 on: May 15, 2021, 02:32:50 PM »
That just screams "DIORAMA!" ... but only for those with severe AMS. ;D
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #266 on: May 16, 2021, 02:51:27 AM »
Yep!

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #267 on: May 20, 2021, 07:28:08 AM »
Boeing B-14.5 MediumFortress

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #268 on: May 20, 2021, 10:13:56 AM »
Must be low production model with limited use that never made the press !

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #269 on: May 20, 2021, 12:32:13 PM »
Atlantis Models produces a 1/120th B-29 that might be scale o rama into that B14.5 medium bomber.
Like I don’t have enough projects!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #270 on: May 22, 2021, 03:43:28 AM »
Oh those poor engines...

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #271 on: May 22, 2021, 03:58:58 AM »
Mind you, what about a twin turboprop version?

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
« Reply #272 on: May 23, 2021, 01:00:28 PM »

That is an awesome pic GTX😯, giving much perspective!!
I visited The Australian National Aviation Museum, Moorabbin, Victoria yesterday and was fortunate enough to be given an in-depth personal tour by one of the officials. He showed me their Avro Lincoln, which is in a thousand pieces and under tarps....I couldn't believe the thickness/depth of the main wing box.....

MAD

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #273 on: May 24, 2021, 01:00:38 AM »
I visited The Australian National Aviation Museum, Moorabbin, Victoria yesterday and was fortunate enough to be given an in-depth personal tour by one of the officials. He showed me their Avro Lincoln, which is in a thousand pieces and under tarps....I couldn't believe the thickness/depth of the main wing box.....

Cool.  It's been a few years since I was last there.  Did you also see the CA-31 mock up?  The museum will need more room if they ever manage to get some of their items completed.

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
« Reply #274 on: May 24, 2021, 07:26:52 PM »

Cool.  It's been a few years since I was last there.  Did you also see the CA-31 mock up?  The museum will need more room if they ever manage to get some of their items completed.

Unfortunately the CA-31 mock-up is no longer on display, but in a non-public access shed GTX, which I was fortunate to see on this in-depth tour. One thing I did notice and I was very appreciative, was the fact that you can actually hop into the cockpit of their Gloster Meteor, CA-27 Sabre, the Canberra Mk20 and Sea Venom, which was fantastic, as it gives an eye-opening perspective of the aircraft!!😯👍

MAD