Author Topic: RAAF CAC CA-13 Boomerang 4 SQN QE+K “The Grim Reaper”  (Read 4653 times)

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
  • now if I just had time to finish all my projects!!
RAAF CAC CA-13 Boomerang 4 SQN QE+K “The Grim Reaper”
« on: March 29, 2015, 08:20:23 AM »
Ok I have up till now posted a few models that I have build in the past, this time this one is straight off the bench!

Kit and scale:  1/48 Special Hobby CAC CA-13 Boomerang

Paint: White Ensign (main scheme), Model Master Clear Acrylics, Model Master Enamels & Metalizer Lacquers, Gunze & Tamiya Acrylics

Extra stuff:
Eduard/MPM PE Set
Montex Masks
Aries Resin R-1830 Engine
Tasman CAC CA-13/19 Engine Accessory set
Richard A. Franks book – The CAC Boomerang

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234973311-completed-raaf-cac-ca-13-boomerang-148-special-hobby/

This was built as part of the “Lesser Built Air-Forces GB” and for this GB I wanted to build something that was indigenous to the country and of cause had to be Australian, so this was a great chance to build Australia’s only designed and manufactured fighter. I have built one of these a long time ago, it was the Airfix one in the blister pack. I had planned to build the 1/32 Alley Cat version but couldn’t find one cheap enough, so I had to settle on Special Hobbies 1/48 version.

This is not the easiest of models to build, besides being a limited run model it has quite a few serious fit and shape issues that required quite a bit of work. Plus there were a couple of areas that needed modifying as they were completely inaccurate. The rear section of the cockpit required rebuilding because it was completely wrong, the majority of it can’t be seen but it bugged me! Plus the main wheel well detail was wrong so that was replaced as well.

As mentioned there were major fit issues with this model that required some interesting work arounds, namely the addition a 40thou spacer to the front sections of the fuselage to get it l to look right and allow everything to fit inside!

The end product, well I am quite happy with how it looks, even though it is very green, which gave my camera a hard time! I do have to now get a 1/32nd version of this, though that one will not be completely green!

Please enjoy.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 08:25:35 AM by trickyrich »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: RAAF CAC CA-13 Boomerang 4 SQN QE+K “The Grim Reaper”
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 10:31:54 AM »
Nice work
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 10:36:24 AM »
Damn, that's nice!  :-* Good idea to include some in-progress shots. While the finished aircraft looks nice, it's great to have a better view at all the work spent on the nooks and crannies.  :)
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 07:22:14 PM »
Top job, anything Foliage green catches my attention.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 10:19:01 PM »
I've always had a soft-spot for the Boomerang and I really like your take on it trickyrich!

Your rendering of that famous RAAF jungle green is outstanding and sets of the roundels magnificently.

The spill on the port side wing is an especially nice touch!

Brian da Basher

Offline ed s

• An outstanding, creative builder.
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 08:46:07 AM »
Most impressive.

Ed