Author Topic: Radial Engined P-51R in 1/72 scale  (Read 16400 times)

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
Re: Radial Engined P-51R in 1/72 scale
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2014, 12:08:59 PM »
nah they look very right
I agree... the goal is not yet to win the war but to have fun playing with famous silhouettes...

Offline John Howling Mouse

• The King Of Absurdia
  • Have vacformer, will travel.
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2014, 12:19:43 PM »
Heh, where to begin, Mr. Basher?  Great concept, nicely rendered, whimsical yet thoughful backstory.  It's all here!  Not to mention I have now learned that A.M. marketed such 1:72 kits (never even saw that before).  Good job all around!
Saving the globe from plastic pollution one kitbashed model at a time.

Offline Eddie M.

• The Model Whisperer
  • All you need is.....i m a g i n a t i o n ....
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2014, 10:36:05 AM »
This project has given me an inspiration for a much more powerful project of my own!  It will be a SBD Dauntless with a F-4U-4 engine and cowling.. :)

He really DID lose his marbles!

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2014, 12:36:39 PM »
Dear Brian, this is just wonderful: not only you enjoy us very much with this wonderful P-51R but you give also lots of inspiration to many ones to produce even more crazy things... Thanks again! ;)

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2014, 12:44:33 PM »
For some reason, this project suggests an ultimate racing F-82 with a pair of R4360s upfront.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2014, 03:30:23 PM »
For some reason, this project suggests an ultimate racing F-82 with a pair of R4360s upfront.

Yes - it does.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2014, 09:42:13 PM »

I know of at least two…which you can even get in kit form:

Yeah! got those two in the stash already, along with six other Hurricane kits Omega does (Griffon & DB engined come to mind for a couple of them, two-seaters and ski u/c, Mk.XII for the others)

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2014, 12:24:42 AM »

Yes - it does.
Here they are... (still to be built)

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2014, 06:22:39 AM »
Now that's a Whiff desperately trying to become plastic!! Awesome Tophe!! 8) 8)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2014, 09:22:15 AM »
Alternatively, how about some RAF "Mustang V" aircraft with Centaurus engines?  Perhaps with an earlier trial fit on a Mustang Ii/P-51B aircraft.

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2014, 01:05:05 PM »
Great idea! The Mk.VI should have been built when the in-line Ki-61 turned into the radial Ki-100...

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2014, 10:08:01 PM »
There's only one thing to consider Tophe, the actual physical size difference between a P-51 and a Tempest or P-47/72 ---- although what you have drawn would work on a Martin Baker MB5 ---  ;)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 10:15:04 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2014, 11:51:51 PM »
Considering that, according to Tony Buttler's book (BSP3), the MB.4 was a Centaurus-powered sibling to the MB.5, it would be quite appropriate.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2014, 12:07:42 AM »
It's been said that the MB5 was just a UK P-51, but apart from the radiator duct design similarities, the aircraft is totally different. And almost the same size as a Tempest/P-47/Hellcat, and it has the largest fin/rudder of all the piston engine fighters of the time.

I've been thinking about a 'Twin-MB5' with Centaurus engines, as a Pacific fighter.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 12:16:07 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2014, 12:18:56 AM »
I've been thinking about a 'Twin-MB5' with Centaurus engines, as a Pacific fighter.
Opposite-handed props or both rotating the same direction?  If you're going with opposite-handing, use the same orientation the P/F-82 used since they found the other way rather increases drag.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2014, 12:39:25 AM »
Opposite-handed props or both rotating the same direction?  If you're going with opposite-handing, use the same orientation the P/F-82 used since they found the other way rather increases drag.

Opposite-handed and five blades each.  I was thinking that they would have to go the same way as the F-82 or DH Hornet --

Without hijacking Brian's thread any further --- something of interest happened while looking at various props.  The prop diameter of the F-82 and Hornet are very close to being the same, and the spinners are about the same diameter too.  I've had an idea for a project that would be quite subtle -- put F-82 props on a Hornet with the story De Havilland tested the Aero Products propellers.  Considering that the F-51H engine and the engines in the F-82B/C/D are really Packard built versions of the Merlins installed in the Hornet, not too far fetched I think.

I've also noted the Monogram F-82 prop blades appear to be a bit undersize, they should really be closer to the prop the High Planes F-51H comes with, and with that in mind I'm trying to produce an opposite-hand prop to it

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2014, 01:45:07 AM »
There's only one thing to consider Tophe, the actual physical size difference between a P-51 and a Tempest or P-47/72 ---- although what you have drawn would work on a Martin Baker MB5 ---  ;)
No, I don't consider realism at all ;) I am just having fun, not designing killing machines but dreams...

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2014, 04:30:36 AM »
Hmm, how about something really different for a radial-engine P-51, install a Wright Typhoon and keep the radiator scoop since it was a liquid-cooled radial.  You might have to go with the stretched fuselage of the F-83 for weight and balance purposes since a six-row radial is going to be long.

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2014, 11:34:50 PM »
Hmm, how about something really different for a radial-engine P-51, install a Wright Typhoon and keep the radiator scoop since it was a liquid-cooled radial.
You might have to go with the stretched fuselage of the F-83 for weight and balance purposes since a six-row radial is going to be long.
Uh? According to Google, the Wright Typhoon is not a radial piston engine but a turboprop... Are there 2 different with the same name?

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2014, 01:11:25 AM »
 :-[  Whoops!!  I meant Wright Tornado, the liquid-cooled 6-row, 42-cylinder radial.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2014, 01:29:51 AM »
Got a book on that engine Evan, it was written while they were restoring the one that still exists.  A neat idea where they could add or subtract rows to create various engines of specific size and hp.  Much like the AS Deerhound

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2014, 10:43:21 AM »
Got a book on that engine Evan, it was written while they were restoring the one that still exists.  A neat idea where they could add or subtract rows to create various engines of specific size and hp.  Much like the AS Deerhound
Cool!  I'll have to acquire it.  What was the length and diameter?  I want to see if it would reasonably fit on a P-51 airframe.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2014, 09:28:15 PM »
Cool!  I'll have to acquire it.  What was the length and diameter?  I want to see if it would reasonably fit on a P-51 airframe.

Hmm! I lent my book to a friend a while ago, but he died last year -- I'll have to see if the family have it still --- IIRC the diameter was 42" (could be wrong though) and it was designed originally to be totally enclosed in a wing foil.

This is the book"