Author Topic: Project Pye  (Read 14403 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: Project Pye
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2012, 11:28:00 PM »
Agghhh! The dreaded off-set canopy!!!

Seriously though, that's a fine homage to the Canberra. I tip my hat to your thinking!

Brian da Basher

Offline tc2324

• Just slightly on the edge of madness......!
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2012, 04:35:37 AM »
Not too much done on what is now none as the `Manilow` bomber as family sickness has returned with the kids and SWMBO coming down with it.

Painted over the nose section that was filled with quite a bit of filler as this tends to highlight any blemishes I might of missed. All looks ok though. Canopy has been masked, wings and tail attached and now comes the u/c issue. My plan is to scratchbuild the u/c so it is similar to the way the u/c operates on a B-24 but retracts backwards instead of to the sides. This way it`s minimal cutting and just a couple of exterior outer doors fitted.

Well, thats the plan anyway........ ;)

Whiffing is for Life...., not just for Christmas!!!

Offline tc2324

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2012, 05:24:15 AM »
Progress report on the Avro JP as follows.....,

Started to add some war colours to her this weekend. Some of you will notice I have opted for the grey/green topsides. Reason being is that according to my back story this machine was finished off in the camo night fighter colours of the day. More on that later.

Obviously have a few touch ups to do as which rends to happen with a rattle can spray job.

Now moving on to the `special` weapon this aircraft wil carry. The target I had in mind was the Wizernes V2 bunker in France. Now I know that the place was bombed using Tallboy`s, (or was it Grand Slams..?), but lets say Mr Wallace wanted a bunker busting type bomb.

So with that in mind I have hand picked the following items from an 1/48 F-14 kit, a 1/72 B-29 kit and an 1/72 Eurofighter.

Now then, lets see what I can make............ >:D

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2012, 07:27:53 AM »
Am here watching, waiting, and enjoying   :)

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2012, 01:16:39 PM »
coming along nicely -- the nose looks a bit bulbous, maybe a 6- or 8-gun pack would suit ??

Offline Doom!

• Slayer of pixels and plastic!
  • Glad to be here!
    • Doom Island 2
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2012, 11:14:07 PM »
Really love the look of this.  :-*
Doom!
Jeff G.

Offline tc2324

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2012, 01:09:26 AM »
Let the madness continue........ >:D

Today`s work turned this aircraft from a very large glider into a jet aircraft for the first time. Also added the u/c, plus doors and completed a few touch ups.

My attention will now turn to the Lancer bomb.

Offline tc2324

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2012, 07:32:17 PM »
Final picture update before the reveal. I think the decals so far applied have really brought this design to life.

Now for the bomb.  :)

Someone has kindly given me a Tallboy as this was what I was looking to use originally, but after spending a bit of time working on the `Lancer`, I think I`m going to proceed with that a save the Tallboy for my next 4 engined heavy whiff.  ;)

How the Lancer works wil be in the backstory, but it`s a nice comparrison shot to scale of the size.

Gaz

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2012, 08:49:28 PM »
Loving this! Looks like the love child of a Manchester and one of those high-altitude Wellingtons . . .

Offline tc2324

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2012, 08:21:50 PM »
Project Pye

By June 1939 Power Jets, (The company set up by Frank Whittle and partners), could barely afford to keep the lights on when yet another visit was made by Air Ministry personnel. This time Whittle was able to run the W.U. (Whittle Unit),  at high power for 20 minutes without any difficulty. One of the members of the team was the Director of Scientific Research, David Randall Pye, who walked out of the demonstration utterly convinced of the importance of the project. The Ministry agreed to buy the W.U. and then loan it back to them, injecting cash, and placed an order for a flyable version of the engine.

By the 12th June 1943, the prototype Meteor airframe was already complete and took to the air. Production versions of the engine started rolling off the line in October, first known as the W.2B/23, then the RB.23 (for Rolls-Barnoldswick), and eventually became known as the Rolls-Royce Welland.
With the Air Ministry satisfied that their first jet fighter was now going to successfully become operational, Whittle was approached to see if his engine designs could be applied to bomber aircraft.  Earlier, in 1940, Whittle had met with Stanley Hooker of Rolls-Royce, who in turn introduced Whittle to Rolls-Royce board member, Ernest Hives at a subsequent meeting. Hooker led the supercharger division at Rolls-Royce, which was naturally suited to jet engine work and it was this team that Whittle approached to see if it was feasible to produce an engine suited for bomber aircraft.

The Aircraft

In the meantime, Roy Chadwick and his team of designers at Avro were tasked with designing a bomber aircraft for the new jet powerplants. With Lancaster production in full swing in mid 1944, it was logical that time and money could be saved by re-designing the current airframe very much as they did with the Manchester in 1940. By July 1944 design work had started on the fuselage modifications and a basic specification was formalized. The aircraft would rely on height and speed to evade enemy interceptors. With a crew of three, the pilot would sit in a fighter style cockpit fitted with a bubble canopy with the bombardier and navigator sitting side by side at their stations below and aft of the pilot. All would be sealed in a pressurized forward compartment, all defensive armament was removed to increase power to weight ratio`s and aiming the bomb/s would be done via an optical periscope device fitted under the nose of the aircraft. The main undercarriage was also modified so that it lifted straight up into the deepest recess of the main wing. One third of the tyre would be exposed to the slipstream, very much like the Boeing B-17`s and would be filled with the inert gas nitrogen.

Coincidentally, it was at a meeting with Avro in late June 1944 while discussing final details for his famous Grand Slam bomb, that Barnes Wallis was informed of the proposed jet bomber and soon enquired if he could attend the meeting between the project teams in London on the 14th August 1944.

It was during this meeting between Whittle, Rolls Royce, Avro and Wallis that the project acquired a name, Pye. This was Whittle`s idea to honour the man, who back in 1939, had convinced the Air Ministry to back the development of the W.U.

Avro had also given their design a name, although it was quite lacking from imagination, the Lancaster JPX. The JPX standing for Jet Propulsion eXperimental.

The Bomb

Wallis also had something to bring to the table. While the Tallboy and Grand Slam bombs had not been designed to directly penetrate concrete roofs, he was aware during trials that they tended to detonate prematurely or break up.  Nonetheless they were still far more effective than any existing bomb but Wallis had been working on a weapon that would penetrate hard targets and felt that this new aircraft could be the ideal delivery system. Named the Lancer, Wallis had based his design on a `Phillips Head and screw` theory as he put it. The head of the weapon was angled, almost like a Philips head screwdriver, while further down the body of the weapon grooves had been installed very much like a screw. One second after release, fourteen small fins would deploy turning the bomb and creating a stabilizing spin at a very high rate of rpm. The idea being, that once the weapon had achieved penetration of the target, it would act like a screw and bore through before detonating. That was the theory anyway. Weighing in at 25,000 lb it was by far the heaviest bomb yet conceived and a working model would be ready before the end of the year.

The Engine

Rolls-Royce had started to develop the RB.41 Nene centrifugal compressor turbojet engine and put this forward for the project. The Nene was essentially an enlarged version of the Rolls-Royce Derwent with the minimal changes needed to deliver 5,000 lbf, making it the most powerful engine of its era. The Nene was Rolls-Royce's third jet engine to enter production, designed and built in an astonishingly short five-month period in 1944, first running on 27th October 1944. It was named after the River Nene in keeping with the company's tradition of naming its jet engines after rivers.

Epilogue

The prototype Lancaster JPX took to the air on it`s maiden flight from RAF Ringway on the 5th January 1945. After a short flight of 25 minutes to check systems the aircraft landed safely with the test aircrew commenting on how well all had gone and the smoothness of the flight. Over the next two months the aircraft flew on a number of test flights culminating in it setting a new, if unofficial, altitude record of 61,258 feet. (This would not be beaten, officially, for another eight years). With both engines generating around 10,000 lbf, the maximum speed recorded was 389mph at 40,000 feet. Normal cruising speed at this altitude was put at around 330mph and while not as dynamic as hoped, this and the operating altitude made the JPX almost untouchable to the Luftwaffe`s fighters.

On the 9th test flight the aircraft was loaded with Wallis`s new Lancer bomb for the first time. Both aircraft and bomb had been given a `gloss` look to reduce any effects of drag. That afternoon the first test drop of the weapon took place from the rather `low` altitude of 30,000 feet. Only two words were noted on Wallis`s note book page, `it works`. A further three more test drops took place at higher altitudes, however the results of these drops cannot be found in official records other than a comment with regards to the performance drop off of about 50mph once fully loaded.

Like many British projects to come, Project Pye is the `unknown` first to be cancelled. With the war in Europe coming to a climax and word reaching the British government of a new US `super weapon` to be used in the Pacific against the Japanese shortly, budgets were now being looked at and attention to the war debt now seemed to take priority within Parliaments walls. Project Pye was cancelled on the 3rd May 1945.

All was not lost however, with Avro proceeding with the design, refining it and then flying the Avro 691 Lancastrian. Rolls Royce’s Nene engine went on to power the Hawker Sea Hawk and the Supermarine Attacker and infamously the Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-15. In the US it was built under license as the Pratt & Whitney J42, and it powered the Grumman F9F Panther. The only real casualty of the project was the Lancer bomb, which never saw action and was soon superseded by the Atomic era.

Hope you enjoyed.  ;)

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2012, 02:38:47 AM »
Pleasant model :-*

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2012, 03:26:54 AM »
Pleasant model :-*

You echo my thoughts perfectly, mon ami!

Nice work, tc!

Brian da Basher

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2012, 03:35:45 AM »
Very nice finish with the back story.  Just a bit disappointed that all of that work that you put into the bomb has to remain in the shadows.  Would have enjoyed seeing the finished bomb next to your aircraft before it was hidden away. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2012, 04:19:38 AM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2012, 05:17:50 AM »
Super Duper love it  :-*
Especially like builds I would not have thought of, but think I shold have thought of.
Everything is right on and great bombay  :)

Offline Doom!

• Slayer of pixels and plastic!
  • Glad to be here!
    • Doom Island 2
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2012, 12:46:18 AM »
Most excellent!
Doom!
Jeff G.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2012, 01:29:20 AM »
This came out great! The ground shots looking up are appropriately menacing!

Offline tc2324

« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2012, 04:30:29 PM »
Thank you all for the kind comments and I`m glad the story has met with approval.  :)

Although it is not exactly a long `war and peace` type story, it did actually take almost as long as the model to create as I had to put all my ideas into some sort of order that made sense.

Right, I`ve got 4 merlins spare...., what to do, what to do...... ? >:D

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2012, 02:14:38 AM »
 Very nicely executed. The front end reminds me reminds me of the Vickers Windsor-easily one of
 my favorite heavys.

Offline ed s

• An outstanding, creative builder.
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2012, 08:30:49 AM »
This is coming along nicely. It's interesting how different the airframe looks cleaned up, without turrets, guns, props, etc.

Ed

Offline tc2324

« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2012, 10:13:53 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments guys.  :)

Just to finish off this one I got round to taking some pics outside at the old RAF Fairlop site, (with the usual funny looks from the dog walkers...), and then added a few effects.

Here`s the results.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2012, 02:17:18 AM »
Beautifully done piece of work there.  I do appreciate how you used the outboard engine locations and avoided having the exhausts impinge on the tail surfaces (that generally leads to all sorts of headaches).  The back story and bomb are plausible, too.  Finally, that last set of pictures was just superb in catching the feel of period picture.

Bravo!!!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2012, 02:36:03 AM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.