Author Topic: Apophenia's Offerings  (Read 904872 times)

Re: Apophenia's Offerings
« Reply #375 on: June 05, 2012, 06:34:43 AM »
I remember the Ca-15s. Still an outstanding idea!

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Remember Eureka!
« Reply #376 on: June 05, 2012, 09:56:56 AM »
Thanks guys. Tophe, those were done for a scenario written up by rickshaw (on that 'other' discussion group). He then asked me to do profiles for "Remember Eureka!", a storyline where the Australian states are independent for the first half of the 20th Century.

Here's the first of the Remember Eureka! sequence. I'm going to start with Western Australia and move West to East. [Note that, because WA and New South Wales shared no border, they were both able to use RAF-style roundels.]
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline apophenia

Remember Eureka!
« Reply #377 on: June 05, 2012, 09:58:59 AM »
Some proposals to Western Australia that didn't fly (literally in a few cases)...
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline apophenia

Remember Eureka!
« Reply #378 on: June 05, 2012, 10:00:37 AM »
Some operational Fairey types of the Royal Western Australian Air Force ...

Offline apophenia

Remember Eureka!
« Reply #379 on: June 05, 2012, 10:02:18 AM »
The last of the Western Australia ones includes a post-WWII Tassie Mustang.

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #380 on: June 05, 2012, 12:00:19 PM »
Thanks for this new batch. My very favourite is the Fairey Falcon :-*

Offline apophenia

« Reply #381 on: June 06, 2012, 04:44:23 AM »
Thanks Tophe. My Falcon was, of course, based on Fairey's twin-Merlin P.27/32 proposal but with a more Battle-ish canopy. I forgot to mention that rickshaw's storyline is available here: http://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=183013

Here's some Central Australian Republic (South Australia) aircraft starting with Heinkel 51 fighters and local He-70 derivatives - the He-170Fau and He-270Au.

Offline apophenia

Remember Eureka!
« Reply #382 on: June 06, 2012, 04:49:47 AM »
Next up are Central Australian Republic Heinkel 100 fighters and proposed He-100 replacements. For the latter, top is the Heinkel Adelaide HA-101, a Merlin-powered He-100 development. Below is the 'Brumby' which was to be licenced P-51D with an improved, Holden-built DB601 engine.

Offline apophenia

Remember Eureka!
« Reply #383 on: June 06, 2012, 04:53:25 AM »
Heinkel Adelaide's successful He-100 replacement candidate was a twin-jet adaptation, the HA-110. The 'Glendambo Gallah' was a late-model HA-110 with the one-piece improved sliding canopy.

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #384 on: June 06, 2012, 06:27:44 AM »
Bought a He 51 on a whim (because it was cheap  >:D) some day and didn't know what to do with it. Now I know!
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #385 on: June 06, 2012, 12:46:43 PM »
I love Brumby and He-110

Offline AXOR

• Our returned Monkey Box man
« Reply #386 on: June 06, 2012, 04:38:21 PM »
Totally awesome !!!
I like ''EMU camo'' on HE-100 white 19

Alex
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 04:42:54 PM by AXU »
Alex

Offline apophenia

« Reply #387 on: June 07, 2012, 07:04:28 AM »
Thanks lads. Mustn't forget the CAR bombers. Here's the locally-built Fokker G-1D and Dornier Do-217Eau. Both types were powered by BMW 801 radials.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 07:07:56 AM by apophenia »

Offline apophenia

« Reply #388 on: June 07, 2012, 07:08:37 AM »
Out of sequence but the LFG D.VI shows the first version of the CARAF roundel. As mentioned before, both Western Australia and the Dominion of Australia (NSW & QLD) used RAF-style roundels.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #389 on: June 07, 2012, 07:19:19 AM »
And now for some Republic of Victoria Air Force types. Lasco or the Larkin Aircraft Supply Company of Fisherman's Bend, Melbourne, built or designed a number of aircraft for the RVAF.

The Lasco Lascoter was a real, 1929 6-seat transport but, of course, never flew in RVAF markings ;) The whif Lasco Lapwing was 1938 intermediate trainer (for RVAF monoplane familiarization) based on the Lark II biplane.

As planned, the Lapwing was intended as a P-26 lead-in trainer powered by a 6-cyl engine. This was never built. Nor was the biplane Lark III, another attempt at increasing power.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #390 on: June 07, 2012, 07:30:19 AM »
When the Republic of Victoria Air Force called for a Boeing Peashooter replacement fighter, Lasco submitted the LP-MP Lares based on the Fokker D.XXI. Insisting on a retractable undercarriage, the RVAF rejected the Lares. Lasco devised a retractable gear for the Lares but it was too late, the RVAF had selected the Curtiss 75A.

Lasco further developed the Lares for submission to China. The LP-MPC featured a retractable gear and a monocoque wooden rear fuselage. This too was rejected, China preferring a familiar rival -- the Curtiss 75 (ironically with a fixed undercarriage).

The comparion Lares II project was a light fighter. The LP-LWF was proposed in two variants: a fixed-gear fighter-trainer and retractable-gear light fighter. The RVAF had a requirement not neither type and the Lares II was rejected by the Republic of China as well.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #391 on: June 07, 2012, 07:36:20 AM »
On the slim chance that whif unbuilt projects interests anyone, here's a list of Lasco projects:

Lasco Liner - 12-passenger transport, enlarged development of Lascondor.

Lasco Lapwing (original) - as planned for P-26 lead-in training with 200hp Menasco 6-cyl.

Lasco Lark III - planned Lark II replacement combining Lapwing fuselage with Lark wings.

Lasco Learner - parasol-monoplane crew-trainer for RVAF Douglas B-31 bomber.

Lasco Lascar - maritime reconnaissance-bomber floatplane (updated Fokker T.IVa).

Lasco Laputan - transport floatplane for Melbourne-Tasmania route (revised Lascar)

Lasco Lares (original) - fighter monoplane for RVAF contest (based on Fokker D.XXI).

Lasco Lares (revised) - updated fighter monoplane for RVAF (or export market).

Lasco Llama - twin-engined light transport (similar to Koolhoven FK.50A).

Lasco LittleHawk - 2-seat trainer for Curtiss 75A fighter (based on Fokker D.XXI).

Lasco Lares II - Menasco Privateer-powered lightweight fighter/trainer (fixed gear).

Lasco Lares II (revised) - updated fighter/trainer for the export market (retract. u/c).

Lasco Lambda - twin Privateer-powered A-17 replacement (sim. to French Hanriot H-220).

Lasco Lasso - Allison V-1710-powered fighter (enlarged version of the final Lares II).

Lasco Lariat - Hispano-Suiza HS.12Y-powered export version of the Lasso fighter project.

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #392 on: June 07, 2012, 11:40:42 AM »
Wow!
My favourite of this batch is the Lares II! :-*

Offline apophenia

Republic of Tasmania
« Reply #393 on: June 08, 2012, 06:32:54 AM »
Thanks Tophe. I have a weak spot for lightweight aircraft too.

The Republic of Tasmania Air Corps got many of its aircraft as surplus from its Victorian neighbour. An example is this ex-RVAF Curtiss Hawk 75A-3 of VF-4 at Wynyard in 1942. This aircraft had badly-faded RVAF Red-Earth and Gum-Green camouflage with 'Tasman Triangles' applied.

The extensive white 'Allied' recognition paint was to avoid red RTAC roundels being mistaken for Japanese hinomaru. Following RVAF practice, a single vertical stripe denotes 'A' Flight leader but the RTAC applied this stripe to the rudder rather than to the rear fuselage.

An exception to Victorian origins is the ex-USN Northrop BT of VB-9 (A Flight), Wynyard, 1942. This aircraft has simply had recognition marks and RTAC 'Triangles' applied over USN camouflage. The second aircraft (also of A Flight) is out of Launceston in 1943. This BT has been re-sprayed in a then contemporary three-tone Dauntless scheme by US Navy personnel when their carrier visited Hobart for minor refitting. Red 'Tasman Triangles' have been replaced by US-inspired insignia (a blue RTAC triangle on a US-style circle-and-bar background).

Offline apophenia

« Reply #394 on: June 09, 2012, 10:55:44 AM »
Back to the Republic of Victoria which sourced most of its military aircraft from the US. Here's a pair of wartime fighter aircraft...

The Curtiss Hawk 87 replaced the Hawk 75As. The 'Geelong Goer' is in the original RAF-style camouflage as supplied by Curtiss. 'Shark Bait' has been oversprayed with 'Foliage Green'.

The Hawk 87s, in turn, were replaced by North American Mustangs. The NA106 shows the standard scheme with white recognition paint over natural metal. 'The Moorabool Mongrel' has the recognition stripes applied for the invasion of the Japanese Home Islands.

The Mustang continued in Victorian service after WWII by which time the RVAF had adopted USAAF/USAF designations. The F-51D wears the standard post-war RVAF scheme for fighters. The F-51K wears commemorative markings based on that 'Golden Wings' scheme.

A more dramatic commemorative scheme were the markings adopted by RVAF Reserve Squadrons for the centenary of the Eureka Stockade uprising. Although a standardized scheme, each Mustang carried a distinct quote or slogan.

Offline apophenia

Remember Eureka!
« Reply #395 on: June 09, 2012, 10:58:30 AM »

The Dominion of Australia consisted of New South Wales and Queensland. The first fighter designed to an RAAF specification was Hawker's Mercury Fury. These biplanes began being replaced by Hurricanes in early 1939.

While awaiting delivery of Beauforts, the RAAF adapted some of its Blenheims as torpedo bombers. The Blenheim Mk.IIT had its turret removed to save weight and reduce drag. 'Scare guns' were installed in each nacelle tail (upper scrap view) and gunner provided with a periscope. The lower scrap view shows the single Blenheim Mk.IIT modified as a trials aircraft for the Commonwealth CA4's remote-controlled turret development.

The Blenheim was replaced in both bomber and torpedo roles by locally-built Beauforts which were joined by Mosquitos. The appearance of DHA Mosquitos changed little throughout the war. As the FB.40 shows expanding patches of recognition white. This was later formalized (as on the B.42) before invasion stripes were added for Operation Coronet.

The standard late-WWII fighter for most Australian air forces was the Mustang. The Mustang shown was the personal mount of Clive Caldwell during Operation Coronet.

« Reply #396 on: June 09, 2012, 09:00:24 PM »
The alternate Australia profiles are really great!  :-*

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #397 on: June 10, 2012, 06:48:33 AM »
I was really waiting for those Eureka Mustangs again .... not that I haven't got them on my hard-drive anyhow ----- simply one of the best four P-51 schemes that I MUST build :-*

Offline apophenia

« Reply #398 on: June 10, 2012, 12:01:31 PM »
Thanks guys. The Eureka centennial Mustangs were my favs too raafif  ;)

Here's the last batch -- post-union CAAF and CAN aircraft. And just for you raafif, the 150 year scheme  ;D

« Reply #399 on: June 10, 2012, 07:55:20 PM »
^ Nice! I think my favs have to be the Fairey Gordon and S.9/30 (although the Tasman BTs are up there too!).