Author Topic: Viper Mk II OOB  (Read 25776 times)

Offline sotoolslinger

• A World Champion Blackbelt in Putty-Foo…the man means business (just look at his photo!)
  • Look at the banner and you will see his work.
Viper Mk II OOB
« on: December 12, 2011, 02:13:11 AM »
I'll go first :D So I am out in California working. I did not really think I would have time to build so I didn't bring my usual kit an box o bashin supplies. I could not stand it so I found a hobby shop and got some minimal stuff.

Since I don't have my usual vast array o parts to pic from I will be building this one oob. I will be customizing it with drilled out RCS thrusters and of course it will not be red and white (shudder)

I am off to the tool store to grab a pin vise more pics later

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
Re: Viper Mk II OOB
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 02:31:48 AM »
welcome to the very first plastic model here...

Offline sotoolslinger

• A World Champion Blackbelt in Putty-Foo…the man means business (just look at his photo!)
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 04:21:59 AM »
Thanks Tophe good to see you here.

Offline JP Vieira

• The Challenge Master!!!
    • What-If World
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 05:05:57 AM »
Hello and welcome!
Looking forward to see that one finished.

Offline sotoolslinger

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 08:01:02 AM »
Thanks JP. So after much searching I came up with some proper tools

Got her all drilled out and puttied up. Note the minimal amount of filling required. These Moebius models are really most excellent. Having not built a model according to instructions in years it is very pleasant to work on one that is this well made.

I'll most likely paint up the cockpit and pilot tonight. Tomorrow I'll grab some sandpaper and bluetac and get her in primer.

Offline Doom!

• Slayer of pixels and plastic!
  • Glad to be here!
    • Doom Island 2
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 08:41:59 AM »
Ron, If your going to go stir crazy and have to pick up a quick fix you just can't go wrong with a Viper. I'd like to pick up a few of those kits, glad to hear they are up to snuff. 
Doom!
Jeff G.

Offline sotoolslinger

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 08:49:56 AM »
They are most excellent J. I started a MK VII when I was home for Thanksgiving and it is also a very nice kit. I am really happy with Moebius. I already have another 2 at the house and fully intend to grab another 7. Both , of course, to bash right up.

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 09:20:16 AM »
Looking good Ron.  I see now what you described to me in our phone conversation on Saturday.
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline sotoolslinger

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 09:32:01 AM »
Yep learned a lesson the hard way though. Do not use Rustoleum rattlecan primer. I should have gone to an auto parts store and got car primer. Rustoleum comes out way too fast and thick. Luckily I had already bought a brush and thinner so I was able to get most of my details back.
I'll have to post that in tips and tricks.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 03:26:45 AM »
Thanks for getting us started, Ron! You know I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with this baby!

Brian da Basher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 05:44:51 PM »
Is that the 1/32 one?  Impressive!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline sotoolslinger

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 09:22:57 AM »
Yes it is and it is quite nifty. Probably a foot long and costs like 25 bucks. :in-love:

Offline Eddie M.

• The Model Whisperer
  • All you need is.....i m a g i n a t i o n ....
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 08:04:40 PM »
Yes it is and it is quite nifty. Probably a foot long and costs like 25 bucks. :in-love:

Sweet!  ;D
He really DID lose his marbles!

Sentinel Chicken

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 04:27:13 AM »
Are we sure this is Ron? "Out of the Box" isn't part of his vocabulary.

Offline sotoolslinger

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 12:10:17 PM »
Yeah it is me just me as a dumb butt. I did not bring all my stuff with me to Cali :zombie: Fear not though this is basically teaching me how the model builds up so I can bash the crap out of other ones :yarr:
And it will have custom features and a nonstandard paint job :omg-:

Offline sotoolslinger

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 08:38:17 AM »
Finally had time to do stuff. Got some primer on the vehicle and some paint on the pilot

Much PSR to do and I have to get some green/gold for the driver but at least I made progress :-[

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 10:30:52 AM »
I need to get one of these! You sold me!!  :in-love:
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Doom!

• Slayer of pixels and plastic!
  • Glad to be here!
    • Doom Island 2
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 12:37:00 PM »
I need to get one of these! You sold me!!  :in-love:

Me too!
Doom!
Jeff G.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2011, 05:56:03 AM »
Coming along nicely, Ron!

That primer seems like the perfect color for some battered old warhorse. Ever consider it as the final coat?

Brian da Basher

Offline sotoolslinger

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2011, 09:14:42 AM »
You know me very well B :) .That is exactly what I had in mind with purple instead of red stripes :yarr:

Offline John Howling Mouse

• The King Of Absurdia
  • Have vacformer, will travel.
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2011, 01:23:06 PM »
Inspiring how you managed to make a go of it, even on the road with limited tools, STS. 
Saving the globe from plastic pollution one kitbashed model at a time.

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2011, 10:42:33 PM »
Inspiring how you managed to make a go of it, even on the road with limited tools, STS.

Maybe you could take after Ron by installing your model building room in that huge H1/HMMWV you have parked in the driveway?  :^)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline sotoolslinger

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2011, 12:05:20 AM »
Hey thanks y'all :in-love: Great to see you here Baz. I actually have a few days off so I will try to get something done in the next couple o days. :zombie:

Offline sotoolslinger

« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2011, 01:24:45 AM »
All righty then. Some PSR progress . I also found through research that I missed a couple of RCS thrusters in the upper engine cowling. ( Moebius missed them too, they don't provide decals for them) I also drilled out the gun muzzles :yarr:

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2011, 01:58:39 AM »
Glad to see you made it home for the holidays, Ron! Your Viper's coming along nicely, like a hot blonde on quarter-draft night. Nice work on those blasters, too.

Brian da Basher