Author Topic: I Think I Can, I Think I Can...Hasegawa 1/48 F-104  (Read 2954 times)

Offline Aeroplanedriver

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
I Think I Can, I Think I Can...Hasegawa 1/48 F-104
« on: April 14, 2020, 02:48:12 PM »
OK I THINK I can knock this out in 48 hours!  I've done one before in about 3 days when I wasn't confined to home.  Surely with nothing much else going on in life I can do this...

Anyhoo...I love this kit.  It's not perfect, but to me it goes together well and looks good on the shelf.  So I kicked it off tonight at 8:30 PM US Eastern Time.  Hopefully I am posting finished pics by Wednesday evening. 

What will it end up as?  Well there is a slight chance I will veer from whiffery and make it a USAF bird, since I absolutely love USAF Starfighters and haven't built one as a Real World build in about 20 year.  But most likely it will be an RAF machine.  I did one as a colorful bare metal 74 Sqn Tiger Meet version many moons ago, but I think this one will be decked out more in war paint, maybe like RAFG Lightning F.2s with dark green on top.  Maybe with a colorful fin for airshow season.  Also a slight chance it will end up as a Mirage alternative wearing 'Roos. 

Progress for tonight...about 4.5 hours worth of build time.  The wings, H-stab, and nose are just dry fitted for now. 

Offline Aeroplanedriver

Re: I Think I Can, I Think I Can...Hasegawa 1/48 F-104
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 03:09:36 PM »
Well she's mostly together and waiting on a primer coat in the morning...Not sure if I'll make it in the 48 hours, but I'll give it my best.  If not she'll pop up in the COVID GB. 

In all of there needle-nosed naked glory...

Offline Aeroplanedriver

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 02:47:09 PM »
Well I concede defeat...48 hours just wasn't enough for what I wanted to do with this one.  I'll give it another shot with a simpler kit. 

Here is how far I got in about 50 hours. 

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 03:03:50 PM »
Carries color fine. :smiley:   Unusual.   Could leave as is without camo.

Offline Aeroplanedriver

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 03:41:05 PM »
This is the final scheme...no camo.  Basically the same scheme the RAF Germany Lightning F.2s wore.  Dark green over silver. 

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 05:47:42 PM »
 :smiley: 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2020, 11:20:18 AM »
So solid green camouflage like some of the Lightnings were painted?
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 02:19:56 AM »
Like this I would imagine:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Aeroplanedriver

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2020, 02:23:13 AM »
She's almost done...pics sometime this afternoon.  Any yep, a LOT like that Lightning pic.  I love that scheme. 

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2020, 10:17:08 AM »
It looks absolutely amazing, and I really appreciette you making the attempt and showing how far you got  :smiley:

Hoping it encourages others to make the attempt and realize its ok to have the clock run out  :smiley:
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Aeroplanedriver

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2020, 01:00:26 PM »
Thanks!  I knew it was a tall order to knock out a kit like that in 48 hours.  In the end I called it done after about 85 hours I think it was.  Definitely want to try again though.  I did a USMC Spitfire years ago and may try another with an Airfix Mk.XIV.  That may be easier to do in 2 days.