Author Topic: Viking (ex-Canadair) CL-415, CL-515  (Read 8075 times)

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
Viking (ex-Canadair) CL-415, CL-515
« on: May 08, 2018, 10:01:34 AM »
In 2016, Viking acquired the Type Certificates (manufacturing rights) for the Canadair CL-215, CL-215T, and CL-415 aircraft. With this transfer, Viking assumed responsibility for all product support for the global fleet of 170 aerial firefighters.

They are now embarking on a program to improve the CL-415 and maybe produce a CL-515.

First is the CL-415EAF Enhanced Aerial Firefighter Conversion Program. Using older CL-215s, they will be upgraded to be equivalent to the CL-215T and CL-415EAF including winglets, finlets, higher operating weights, increased capacity firebombing system, and foam injection system of the CL-415.  In addition to these standards, other improvements introduced with the Viking CL-415EAF conversion upgrade include:

- Full modern Avionics package,
- Component modernization improvements to address all fleet obsolescence issues,
- Corrosion protection enhancements based on operator feedback,
- Flight deck air-conditioning system,
- Customized external paint scheme, and
- Humanitarian relief and special mission options (e.g. stretcher rack, large cargo door, spray boom system)

Meanwhile, Viking also has proposed restarting production of new CL-215Ts, which would be marketed as the CL-515
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: Viking (ex-Canadair) CL-415, CL-515
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 11:42:54 AM »
Nice!  There is still a market for amphibians and not many choices to fill that role. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 05:37:38 PM »
At YYC (Calgary International), Viking have a large hanger for servicing them. There was a couple of months ago, about eight CL-215's parked on a disused ramp on the south end of the airport (just off taxiway Papa), plus one on the Viking hanger ramp (Apron 3).

Twin Otters are constantly going for test flights too, mostly in primer colours (Viking have all the rights to these as well)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 05:39:24 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 01:11:56 AM »
I wish there was a 1/48 kit of either the CL215 or CL415...or both.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 02:05:12 AM »
A CL-215T.

Chris
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 04:20:20 AM »
So, if I understand this correctly:
 - Potential new-production CL-415s will be called Canadair CL-515s;
 - Viking is collection series -5 CL-215s for rebuild as CL-215Ts; and
 - Some CL-215T conversions will become unpgraded CL-415EAF models

It seems to me that Viking is getting itself into a muddle. The original distinction between the CL-215T and CL-415 was that the former were conversions, the latter were new-builds ... but all to roughly the same standard. So, why are Viking's upgraded CL-215T conversions, not being called CL-215EAFs with any new-build Enhanced Aerial Firefighting models being CL-515EAFs?
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 09:47:30 PM »

It seems to me that Viking is getting itself into a muddle. The original distinction between the CL-215T and CL-415 was that the former were conversions, the latter were new-builds ... but all to roughly the same standard. So, why are Viking's upgraded CL-215T conversions, not being called CL-215EAFs with any new-build Enhanced Aerial Firefighting models being CL-515EAFs?
When companies do confusing things like this, things that defy logic, the only answer is "Marketing said so".

It excuses all fantastic leaps of illogic by otherwise rational corporations.

:D

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 09:56:22 PM »

When companies do confusing things like this, things that defy logic, the only answer is "Marketing said so".

It excuses all fantastic leaps of illogic by otherwise rational corporations.

:D

I hate (most) marketing folks. Worked with them for 20 years.  :o

Since I started the thread I will see if I can work out the taxonomy of their naming conventions.

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019, 03:26:43 AM »
From the better late than never department.

Viking signs sales agreement for next generation CL-515 aerial firefighter

The Republic of Indonesia’s Ministry of Defense has agreed to purchase six all-new CL-515 aircraft, four of which will be delivered in “first responder” multi-mission configuration, and two delivered in optimized aerial firefighter configuration. The purchase agreement also includes one Canadair CL-415EAF “Enhanced Aerial Firefighter” aircraft converted from a Canadair CL-215 to EAF standard by Longview Aviation Capital’s subsidiary, Longview Aviation Services.

Source: https://www.skiesmag.com/press-releases/viking-signs-sales-agreement-for-next-generation-cl-515-aerial-firefighter/

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2019, 04:09:48 AM »
I will say it again:  I wish there was a 1/48 kit of the CL-415 available.  Would love to do a RAAF dual purpose firebomber/special forces insertion platform...

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2019, 05:18:00 AM »
Viking has a large hanger at YYC (Calgary International) and for most of the time I worked there, they had eight or nine CL-215's parked on a disused apron in the south-west corner of the airport. I think they're still there, looking on google maps still shows them, but then the view of the airport is quite old, WestJet has a new hanger built for it's 787's and the view doesn't even show it during it's construction (I worked on that construction site for about a year and I've not worked there for a year now)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 05:22:36 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2020, 05:34:48 AM »
First flight of a CL-415EAF. CL-215s are being upgraded to the CL-415EAF “Enhanced Aerial Firefighter” configuration.

A Viking CL-415EAF took its inaugural flight in Abbotsford, British Columbia March 10. It is the first Canadair CL-215 to undergo the major modification to CL-415EAF “Enhanced Aerial Firefighter” configuration by Longview Aviation Services in collaboration with Cascade Aerospace. Cascade was awarded a contract to assist with the CL-415EAF modification program in 2018 that included carrying out the first aircraft modification using Viking-supplied conversion kits.

This initial CL-415EAF is the first of six amphibious air tankers ordered by launch customer Bridger Aerospace of Bozeman, Montana and is scheduled for delivery in April in advance of the start of the 2020 North American wildfire season.

https://fireaviation.com/2020/03/11/first-flight-of-a-cl-415eaf/

Offline The Rat

• 70 years old, doesn't feel a day over 90.
  • Maybe I should take up the bagpipes.
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2020, 09:13:08 AM »
Quote from: The Big Gimper link=topic=7879.msg161872#msg161872 date=1573154803

[img
https://assets.skiesmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/CL-515-Press-Release-Photo-01-high-res-768x512.jpg[/img]

Source: https://www.skiesmag.com/press-releases/viking-signs-sales-agreement-for-next-generation-cl-515-aerial-firefighter/

From the article:
Flexible architecture to support multi-mission capabilities including aerial firefighting, maritime patrol, surveillance, medevac, environmental monitoring, insect control, oil spill detection and dispersant.
[/b]

That's something Canadair should have done from Day 1, but I don't recall them selling it as anything other than a water bomber. Might be wrong. SAR would be obvious, as would the others. And how about having someone like Winnebago design a luxury interior, for the executive who wants a flying boat to travel and vacation in?
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline apophenia

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2020, 04:57:20 AM »
Actually, both Canadair and Bombardier marketed multi-role CL-215/415 derivatives. Okay, maybe not the Winnebago ...  ;D
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2020, 04:17:13 AM »
Example military version:

Offline apophenia

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2020, 11:28:25 AM »
Example military version:

Yup, 415MP (Maritime Patrol) variant. Bombardier was also pushing a 415MR (Multi-Role) with a trendy emphasis of SOF insertion but basically just a modular interior capable of a range of activities.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2020, 04:51:53 AM »
If it had a rear ramp it would be ideal platform for the SOF mission.  Still a good option for the insertion role in that it can operate from water and it would make for an interesting what-if replacement for the Grumman SA-16/HU-16 Albatross used by the USAF (and Air National Guard) air commando groups for covert infiltration and extraction of special forces from 1956 to 1971.   

An all black with red markings Albatross example at this link: https://www.175wg.ang.af.mil/News/Photos/igphoto/2000609295/
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2020, 01:54:54 AM »
Side door still useful:

« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 01:57:14 AM by GTX_Admin »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2020, 02:08:01 AM »
The Greek CL-415GR / MP are equipped with:
1. Primus 600 radar type of Honeywell
2. SLAR - Side-Looking Airborne Radar (SLAR)
3. Sea FLIR system (Forward infrared observation)
4. Night vision goggles
5. APU

One could take this as a starting point for a more Special Mission variant.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2020, 06:51:54 AM »
Is it a requisite that the Greeks read English ---   ;D

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2020, 11:21:09 PM »
Is it a requisite that the Greeks read English ---   ;D
Pretty much, yes.

The aviation industry has agreed that English will be the offical working language, much like the postal industry has agreed that French it that industry's official language.

All air traffic control and pilot instruction, globally, is supposed to be in English. There are language standards that the various international airlines and air traffic systems are supposed to meet, but many do not, causing confusion (and ocassional crashes!). But English is the default.

Paul

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2020, 01:27:28 AM »
Viking pushes back ‘formal launch’ of CL-515 water bomber

Canadian airframer Viking Air confirms it has delayed the launch of its CL-515 First Responder firefighting aircraft, citing the Covid-19 pandemic.

The Sidney, British Columbia company had previously intended to launch the programme in 2020. Earlier this year, it pushed back the launch to the fourth quarter.

“Unfortunately, due to the effect of Covid-19 on Viking’s operations and the pandemic’s impact on governments, their citizens and budgets globally, we have elected to slide the formal launch of the CL-515 until we see a stabilization in the global economic situation and a return to normal daily activities,” Viking executive vice-president of sales and marketing Robert Mauracher tells FlightGlobal.

Powered by Pratt & Whitney Canada PW123AF turboprops, the CL-515 is to have Collins Aerospace’s Pro Line Fusion digital cockpit, and more capability than previous variants. It will have better corrosion protection, increased landing weight and 7,000 litres (1,850USgal) of water capacity, up from the CL-415’s 6,000-litre capacity, Mauracher said in 2018.

Viking does not elaborate on when the formal launch of the aircraft might happen.

Source: https://www.flightglobal.com/airframers/viking-pushes-back-formal-launch-of-cl-515-water-bomber/141493.article

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2022, 08:30:36 PM »
It appears that the DHC-515 Firefighter (was CL-515) is officially going into production (all new builds). First deliveries are scheduled for 2025. Current orders stand at 22 aircraft.

Source: https://skiesmag.com/news/de-havilland-launches-dhc-515-firefighter-program/

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2022, 09:31:04 PM »
I saw the news story on the TV News a couple of days ago Carl, I was going to post something --- but I had a senior moment ----  I forgot  ;D

Offline Litvyak

• Shifting between quantum realities...
  • Althistorian & profiler...& the 1st lady of whiff
    • Dominion of British Columbia
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2022, 10:27:33 PM »
It says something that the CL-215 and the various DHC types are so good and useful that there's still demand for more and new ones... Twin Otters and Beavers will probably still be flying when Starfleet launches NX-01...
"God save our Queen and heaven bless the Maple Leaf forever!"

Dominion of BC - https://dominionofbc.miraheze.org/wiki/British_Columbia

"Bernard, this doesn't say anything!" "Why thank you, Prime Minister."