Author Topic: Type XXIII Uboat 1/144  (Read 12539 times)

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
Type XXIII Uboat 1/144
« on: January 12, 2015, 03:34:54 PM »
I have a thing for Subs and have build a few.
This is a non whiffer though.. well sort of it is an imagined setting.

You see I have a thing where I think that Ships and subs sitting on stands do not look right. To my eye I prefer them in their "natural habitat", being water somewhere.
So to try something a little bit different I wanted to try and get a sunken U-boat model.
I settled on the Trumpeter 1/144 Type XXIII Coastal U-boat, a late WWII design and quite a small submarine. But as a model sizeable enough to try and replicate a sunken wreck.
 There was a couple of Type XXIII that were sunk in action but a lot more were scuttled. This is one of the action casualties, U-boat U-2359 sunk by Coastal Command

So first up we build the kit and did a bit of wrecking.

Next step I figured was the encrusting of 70 years of marine life and steel rusting away

Then the hard part.. replicating the look in paint

next is the base, some marine plants, weed etc and a couple of snagged fishing nets as this boat was sunk in quite shallow water.

Be interesting to see how this progresses even from my point of view

Brian T
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 03:49:40 PM by buzzbomb »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: Type XXIII Uboat 1/144
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 06:48:27 PM »
That's looking great, Brian! :)

While not a submarine, this is my favourite underwater diorama to date (from SAPMA Expo 2014).

"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 07:15:28 PM »
Yep, thats the idea.
The green tinted cover just sold that idea as well.. Love it

Good eye that Old Wombat has.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 10:30:26 AM »
looks good - reminds me of a movie about some treasure hunters - they found a German Type XX-something sub abandoned on the west African coast & just inland was the bones of a Spanish Galleon 8)

The sub (part above surface) was a convincing wooden movie prop & looked just like your model :)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 04:14:26 PM »
Yep, thats the idea.

The tricky part is that it isn't a green tinted cover - it's actually green tinted water! ;)

Paul Barnham (you probably know him better that I) from Adelaide is the modeller in question.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 07:14:49 AM »
You've got some serious, off-the-charts modeling skill, buzzbomb!

You totally nailed that old, sunken-sub look!

The paint work is astonishing!

Brian da Basher

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 11:00:56 AM »
Yep, thats the idea.

The tricky part is that it isn't a green tinted cover - it's actually green tinted water! ;)

Paul Barnham (you probably know him better that I) from Adelaide is the modeller in question.

However, having thought about it for a bit, you could probably get just as good an effect (& easier transportation) with the right mix of transparent blue, green & clear paint sprayed onto the inside of the cover/tank.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 05:43:52 AM »

However, having thought about it for a bit, you could probably get just as good an effect (& easier transportation) with the right mix of transparent blue, green & clear paint sprayed onto the inside of the cover/tank.

Pretty much what I planned.. I was a tad gob stopped when you said it was filled with water :o :o :o still A++++ for realism.

BdB.. thanks Mate. I love to tinker with stuff.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 07:12:36 PM »
I have been remiss by not updating this thread. I have had this finished for a couple of months now.
How it sits now

I bunged in a couple of 1/144 figures with basic diving gear to give it some scale

Of to Model Expo 2015 it goes.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 11:19:34 PM »
That's fantastic, Brian! Love the divers hanging off the stern. :) :) 8)

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 02:42:51 AM »
Outstanding! :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2015, 07:44:53 AM »
That is really impressive, I salute you

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2015, 10:48:15 AM »
 :) Hats off, simply superb work!!!  8) 8) 8)

Wombat, I wouldn't have thought that there'd be any forward superstructure left after the bomb/magazine explosion that Roma suffered from the Fritz X hit, is the wreck's condition conjectural?
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2015, 12:55:54 PM »
I didn't check it out but the guy usually has thick folders of research & reference material for most of his builds, so it's odds-on that it's mostly accurate.

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2015, 04:31:55 AM »
Its my favorite U-boat, so I almost hate to see it in this condition...

Except...

Its so FFFFFFFFFFFreakin' Awesome!!!!!!!!!

Offline Paul Barnham

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2015, 10:45:56 AM »
Hi fellow modelers. Paul here. Im responsible for the Roma underwater wreck. An interesting idea and a popular concept at the Expo. As for the research i had plenty regarding the initial explosion and the subsequent forward magazine secondary boom but from then on it was pure imagination and artistic licence. regarding the water (blue and green food coloring mixed together) was easy to transport, i just tipped it out in the sink and refill when necessary. Great looking sub BTW, hope to see it at a display soon. Regards to you all.

Offline Islandern

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2017, 11:32:10 AM »
What a great build Buzzbom!

I am currently working on the type XXIII and specially U 2359 myself also in 1/72.

Have you or anyone here actual pictures of her (U 2359)? Have you found any particularly information regarding conning tower configuratio, example handrailings, spray protector and more? There was such a variation in configuration of those boats it seems.

Would be very glad for help.

Best regards,

Anders

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2017, 06:33:02 PM »
What a great build Buzzbom!

I am currently working on the type XXIII and specially U 2359 myself also in 1/72.

Have you or anyone here actual pictures of her (U 2359)? Have you found any particularly information regarding conning tower configuratio, example handrailings, spray protector and more? There was such a variation in configuration of those boats it seems.

Would be very glad for help.

Best regards,

Anders

Sorry Anders, outside of a press article, nothing.
This is just my attempt at a possible version of a sunken sub. Pure imagination with a nice kit as a basis

Offline Islandern

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2017, 01:24:42 PM »
Thank you for your reply. It is how ever a great diorama.

If someone else reads this, and have some good information regarding U-2359, please let me know.