Author Topic: Kits on Shapeways  (Read 62146 times)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Kits on Shapeways
« on: May 08, 2015, 03:04:41 AM »
Self explanatory I trust...

to begin with, perhaps a kit many of us could appreciate:

Click on image for more details

I wonder if they will do the accompanying 'grumpy spouse' version? ;)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
Re: Kits on Shapeways
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 01:01:44 PM »
I have already received the 1/700 ASMD masts I ordered, they were very nice and am now waiting for my second order to arrive.  1/600 Tiger class detail sets primarily for the 6" and 3" turrets / directors (wont be used on a Tiger), 1/700 Lion conversion and detail sets for back dating Revel HMS Tiger to its original gun cruiser configuration, and a modern naval weapons set.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 05:07:37 AM by GTX_Admin »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 04:42:39 AM »
Hawkins751511 (Mark Hawkins)is one of the makers/vendors selling his products though Shapeways has a few interesting accessories for modeling purposes. 

1. 1:18th scale Water Jet Kit with impellers for static display consists of two sets of complete water jet pump units including the inlet ports that are the almost perfect size for a large 1:35th scale boat hull (like the Lindberg and Italeri PT Boat hulls or the Trumpeter and Italeri LCM hulls).  For someone wishing to do something different that includes the inner details of a water jet pump system this is a great way to learn more about the real thing for a fraction of the cost.  Yes, it is not cheap but facing the prospect of scrapping numerous kits for specific parts, it is the cheaper alternative.  I am the happy customer with one set in hand, now to find that Lindberg PT Boat hull.  Why the Lindberg hull and not the Italeri hull you ask?  Well the Lindberg hull was far less expensive when I purchased it.  Somewhere around $40.00 for the complete kit.  Plus the Lindberg hull being 1:32nd scale means that in 1:35th scale it is ever-so slightly larger than the 1:35th scale Italeri Elco PT Boat hull and that means it is already a what-if.  Plus the Lindberg hull is set up for two propellers and not three as found on the real Elco and Italeri hulls.  Less holes to fill in is always a win-win. 

2. Pair of 1:18th scale Water Jet Pump Nozzles with reversing buckets.  This is a pair of dummy units that include just the exposed portion of the outlet with the reversing buckets and the plate that attaches to the hull.  A simple solution to creating a water jet pump powered boat hull without the need for additional details.  Or you can fabricate your own inlet details if you wish.  I purchased one set as an alternative to going all the way with the more expensive and more detailed set above.   

3. 1:144th scale Harpoon missile launchers (two sets).  The maker/vendor has added this item today so that you do not have to purchase two individual sets.  It is slightly less expensive so there is some money to be saved on using selecting this item for your next 1:144th scale ship project.  I just received my two individual sets and was surprised by the details plus the fragility of the parts.  One support arm appears to be broken which I am going to blame on my placing the items in a container with the other items I had received to give them a quick cleaning with soap, water, and vinegar.  I possibly shook the container a little too hard and that resulted in the fracture.  I am confident that CA glue will sort this out soon enough.  Parts are still drying at the moment. 

4 1:35th scale Mk 26 weapons mount (set of 4).  Again at my insistence the vendor/maker has accommodated my request.  I wanted some of these tripod mounts as the only known source in 1:35th scale is the one mount that is included in the Tamiya 31.0' PBR Mk II kit and that is not a cheap source for parts.  So for a fraction of the cost, the vendor uploaded a file containing four of these weapons mounts in 1:35th and 1:48th scale.  I am going to be ordering at least two sets for my own use.  Plenty of possibilities with the mount to use with the Mk 19 AGL, M2 Browning HBMG, M60 GPMG, M240 GPMG, M1919 GPMG and anything else in that weight class that has a pintle mount available.  Perfect for your next pirate fighting boat project or to mount in the back of a truck on a metal plate (absorb recoil and give it some mass).  A simple yet effective solution to the gun mount problem. 

5. 2 X Twin Modern 50 Cal Browning on Tripod 1/35  and Single Modern 50 Cal Browning on Tripod 1/35.  Both of these were put together at my suggestion/insistence as the vendor had only offered the twin M2 Browning HBMG without any kind of mount prior to my corresponding with him on the product.  He followed through by first creating and uploading the single M2 Browning HBMG on Mk 26 mount and then uploaded the twin M2 Browning HBMG on Mk 26 mount.  Both combinations are valid for many surface ships and a what-if gun truck if you attach the mount to a large plate to add mass to provide stability and absorb recoil forces.  By simple correspondence I was able to achieve in a matter of days what I have been waiting for many years to see in model form. 

My next attempt will be to try and get the Mk 38 25mm Bushmaster in 1:144th scale to arm one of my what-if Defiance class gunboats.  That will happen only when Shapeways or some other concession can successfully print a 1:144th scale 25mm Bushmaster gun barrel. 

Until then, I will bide my time researching other potential 3D models for my own twisted projects ;)

One other vendor/maker that I have done business with at Shapeways is fx and his Original Train and Rail shop.  I discovered to my great pleasure that fx offers a 1:35th scale computer set that includes 4 X desktop PC with keyboard, mouse, and flat screen monitors, 4 X laptops, and 4 X laser printers all with very nice details.  The price is a bit steep but considering what you are getting in the package it is not so bad if you consider the number of computers and printers you are getting for the price.  Four laptops, four laser printers, and four desk tops with flat screen monitor, and mouse/keyboard (printed on one piece of material).  This was another case of finding the item offered in a different scale (HO) and all it took was a quick PM to the vendor/maker and he had the model scaled up within hours and uploaded to Shapeways so I was able to get my two sets ordered on the same day.  It was nice to find someone willing to scale up a model for a possible sale in such a short time. 
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 05:17:28 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 10:28:30 AM »
Dragon Panzer Corps 1/144 M2 and M3 Bradleys have quite nice bushmaster barrels.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 12:32:17 AM »
Reply received from Luís Monteiro the creator/vendor of the 1:72nd scale Star Trek Photon Torpedo for sale at Shapeways:
Hi,

Thank you for placing my link in the forum. I realy appreciate
Regrading your interest in 1:48 scale, I can easily pull up the scale of the shell and see i much it will cost. Making a simulation it's free!
I will get back to you with this issue as soon as i can. Then you can decide.

Luís

So it seems another vendor/creator is willing to accommodate the customer's wishes.  Looking forward to seeing a couple of these in my modeling arsenal :)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 01:05:06 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 07:53:24 AM »
More good news for you folks that are looking for a decent 20mm Oerlikon on Mk 10 mount.  The Vendor just messaged me to let me know that he has scaled up his 20mm Oerlikon to 1:35th scale and it is now available as a single or double set (two single mounts). 

Single 20mm Oerlikon on Mk 10 Mount

You get a slight price break by ordering a pair of these as 2 x Single Oerlikon on MK10 stand 1/35

He will be uploading some time soon the manually operated Mk 38 Mod 0 25mm Bushmaster in 1:35th scale.  Yay!

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 08:13:50 AM »
What's the end product quality like on these things? ???

Haven't really seen any pic's of market production items but the cost isn't that much worse than resin.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 08:18:12 AM »
It would be nice if more folks on there would post photos of the ACTUAL product in the available materials so you can see what you'll ACTUALLY be getting.  CAD renderings are all well and good but what's the actually finished product look like?  It's not like we can go to review sites or ask the store owner to pop the box lid and give it it a once over before buying.
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 10:07:41 AM »
Shameless self promotion:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/CAT

I'm working on a 1/350 V-2, then later a couple of V-2 variants.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2015, 03:01:10 AM »
Shameless self promotion:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/CAT

I'm working on a 1/350 V-2, then later a couple of V-2 variants.

Well done

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2015, 03:20:18 AM »
He will be uploading some time soon the manually operated Mk 38 Mod 0 25mm Bushmaster in 1:35th scale.  Yay!

The Bushmaster may have some applications...hmmm

Jeff, try to encourage him to keep playing in this field.  Maybe a 1/48 or 1/35 version of these could be next:

Nexter M621 20mm cannon:

Or perhaps a Rheinmetall Rh 202 in either single or twin barrelled forms:

Or maybe a Hispano-Suiza HS.820/Oerlikon KAD:

All in 1/48 or 1/35 would be nice.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 08:12:02 AM »
More good news for you folks today.  For anyone looking for a large 20mm Ammunition Locker in 1:72nd and 1:35th scale there are now several models available at Shapeways.

I found a vendor/maker that was offering a 1:16th scale large capacity 20mm Ammunition Locker and asked if he would scale it down to 1:72nd and 1:35th scale.  The original model was offered with a lid that could be positioned open or closed with the supporting struts and hinges.  It looks pretty good but I was not really wanting every one of these to have a separate lid so the vendor/maker created a second model with the lid closed. 

I ordered several of each in 1:35th scale and they will be delivered near the end of the month. 

Right after placing the order I received another PM to let me know that the models are now available in 1:72nd scale as a five-pack with three closed and two open ammunition lockers. 

So there you go, a simple request and mission accomplished.  :)

Links to the models:

1:35th scale 20mm Ammunition Locker (open lid)

1:35th scale 20mm Ammunition Locker (closed lid)

1:72nd scale 20mm Ammunition Locker 3-closed lid and 2-open lid

In later correspondence with this vendor. he has told me that he will be offering very soon a set of 20mm Oerlikon magazines in several scales.  Yay! 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 07:06:19 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 09:01:46 AM »
SAAB (Space: Above and Beyond) SA-43 Endoatmospheric Fighter is available at Shapeways in several scales including this 1/350 SA-43 Toolshark Space Fighter that might be just the thing for your next what if aircraft carrier model in 1:350th scale. 

I admit the price is a bit steep but it might be totally worth it to have one on your flight deck hidden amongst all of the F-18s just to see if anyone is paying attention to details :)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2015, 04:44:08 AM »
Here's my 1/350 V-2 with Rotary launch table in Frosted Ultra Detail:

The camo pattern isn't exact, but close enough.

http://shpws.me/JokR

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2015, 03:20:50 AM »
One I just stumbled across - it is in 1/48:

Details

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2015, 03:29:45 AM »
Another:

Details

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2015, 03:36:57 AM »
One of possible interest to a few of us - it is in 1/35:

Details

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2015, 03:40:13 AM »
Another in 1/35 that offers some interesting possibilities:  25mm MK38 MOD 2

Details

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2015, 03:44:56 AM »
Last one...for now:  1/35 SPM-35-039 Lockheed Martin Gyrocam

Details

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2015, 03:53:32 AM »
 25mm MK38 MOD 2 and SPM-35-039 have 1/72 gunboat or other possibilities.  Specially on 1/200 Arizona based build.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2015, 06:05:33 AM »
One of possible interest to a few of us - it is in 1/35:

Details
Enthusiasm quickly curbed upon discovering the price for one unit :(

By the way, that is the same guy that I was working with to get several items printed up in 1:144th, 1:72nd, and 1:35th scale.  He is willing to work with the customer to get what they want

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2015, 06:08:02 AM »
Last one...for now:  1/35 SPM-35-039 Lockheed Martin Gyrocam

Details

That is LiveResin if you did not already know. 
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 09:27:56 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2015, 06:39:21 AM »
I thought it might have been but I haven't seen that item in their catalog of parts.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2015, 08:17:00 AM »
Greg -  that car model, printed in White Strong and flexible is going to be an expensive, grainy mess.

Jeff  Peter Samofalov printed objects are not made by Live Resin (Yaroslav). He was a (or the) designer for Live Resin, but they seem to have had a parting of ways:

http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=19504

Peter has complained quite a bit about the print quality (or lack thereof) coming out of Shapeways, even in their Frosted Extreme and Ultra detail parts, which is understandable.

Shapeways is fine for relatively low resolution/low detail parts. With some effort, you can make nice, smooth models. It is not adequate for the details he's trying to achieve. Shapeways is not printing at the best resolution of their printers (which would not really help his parts much) and they're only "thinking" about getting better resin 3D printers. There are printers out there in the sub $5K range (well under) that can produce parts that would require little or no prep work.

Samofptr parts are tempting, but I know what they'll look like and until he finds a better supplier, I'll wait.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 08:29:23 AM by Frank3k »