Author Topic: The First Reliant Robin in 1/72 scale  (Read 3903 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
The First Reliant Robin in 1/72 scale
« on: May 19, 2016, 06:44:56 AM »
The classic Reliant Robin is one of the most recognizable cars ever built:

Little remembered today, this wasn't the first Reliant Robin. The very first Reliant Robin was actually an aircraft:

It all began with horrible teething problems that delayed production of the famous Merlin engine.

Without that iconic power-plant, things would be a little different for the Royal Air Force. Seeking a stop-gap replacement, the Ministry of Aircraft Production approached the Reliant Motor Company LTD of Tamworth, Staffordshire.

With the help of a generous government subsidy, the Reliant Motor Co. obtained the rights to produce the Curtiss P-36 under license. This was seen a quite a coup for the RAF as the American Curtiss monoplane was the cutting edge fighter of the day.

Finding Curtiss-supplied power-plants to be either too lackluster or too expensive, Reliant modified the license-produced fighter to fit the 1101 hp Britsol Mystery 9 cylinder radial, then the best aero engine to be found in the British Isles.

The windscreen was re-fitted with armoured glass and the canopy was also modified to improve pilot vision and allow the use of Perspex panels. The propeller was replaced with an indigenous, spinnered Rotol model.

Armament was also updated to be compatible with RAF standard. Four .303 caliber Vickers guns were mounted in the wings and two heavy Rolls-Royce 7.92 mm guns were in the cowling. There was no doubt that this baby packed a punch, but its sprightly manner led to it being called the Robin.

By the middle of 1938, half of RAF Fighter Command strength was composed of Reliant Robin fighters. It certainly looks wonderfully colorful in those late 1930's markings as this aircraft, K7984 of No 3 Squadron from RAF Kenley attests.

Unfortunately, the first Reliant Robin packed more than just a punch. It also packed a tendency to ground loop, much as its more famous automotive brethren would decades later.

Eventually, the bugs would be worked out of the Merlin engine and none too soon as the Britsol Mystery would be found prone to unexplained failure after operating under war scare conditions.

Spitfires and Hurricanes started coming off the line entering service in 1939. By the start of W.W. II, there were only five RAF home defense and two expeditionary squadrons still equipped with the Robin.

The last Reliant Robins of No. 58 & 2/3 squadron defending Fallshfreaaaghuuleevhaageferlinaaaugghhh in Wales were withdrawn from service during the Phoney War after being replaced with imported Bell P-39 Airacobras.

There are no flying examples nor even museum or gate-guard survivors left of the first Reliant Robin as all were recycled back into pots and pans once scrapped. These photos are of a post-war plastic toy model imported from the Far East which was only sold at news agents in Ipswich in the spring of 1961.

Despite its drawbacks, for one brief, shining moment the Reliant Robin held the line and defended the Realm until more modern, capable aircraft were available, even if it did so in complete ignominy.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 08:11:37 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: The First Reliant Robin in 1/72 scale
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 07:08:21 AM »
This began with a 1960's era 1/72 Aoshima Curtiss P-36A kit.

Isn't that box art great?

Don't get excited, that scheme in no way resembles any of the decals you get with this kit. Not that it matters, the decals you do get will be stained, smudgy, and out of register anyway.

I came across this beauty while attempting to corner the 1/72 Curtiss Hawk 75/P-36 model kit market a while back. I discovered there's basically four widely available kits in this scale by Aoshima, Heller, Revell and Monogram. The Aoshima kit was re-popped by MPC (or was it the other way 'round?), so one could be forgiven for thinking there's five.

This Aoshima kit is a rough beast to be sure. The only "features" are flaps and ailerons that can be posed and a complete lack of detail. I got my mitts on six of them (3 Aoshima 3 MPC), and all are totally vintage, down to the brittle plastic, yellowed and crazed clear parts and utterly worthless decals. Since I never built this kit before, I chose to build it OOB except for modifying the landing gear to be retracted and adding the spinner from a Hurricane (or was a Spitfire?) to the kit prop.

I usually tint canopies by painting the inside, but this canopy was almost a lost cause as the decades hadn't been kind to it and it was full of small cracks held together only with age. I sealed it as best I could, painted the outside insignia blue and then covered it with acrylic gloss medium for an optimistically glassy shine.

Decals were mostly from a Revell Gloster Gauntlet Gladiator biplane except the rudder stripes which were swiped from a sheet for an SE-5.

The model was brush-painted by hand in acrylics, Polly Scale Lettering Gray (I think) mostly and Model Masters Euro green on the cowling and spinner. It doesn't match up well with the green of the squadron insignia on the tail in these shots, but it looks a lot closer of a match when seen with my Mk. I eyeball in ordinary light. Gun metal was used on the guns (of course!) and other misc. metal bits.

Despite a few challenges posed by old, brittle plastic, I had a lot of fun putting this together which I did over the course of a few weeks due to work being busy. I couldn't find many builds or reviews of this kit and what I did find indicated this kit was nigh unbuildable. Maybe this shows that with a little TLC, even a relic can shine.

I hope you enjoyed the first Reliant Robin and reading a little more obscure aircraft history.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 02:12:41 PM by Brian da Basher »

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 09:38:41 AM »
Beautiful work, both on the model and the crafted backstory.  I've worked with some other Aoshima models of that vintage and they have their moments of vexation, but can be built up with care.

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 10:52:10 AM »
Good model, congratulations

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 10:59:04 AM »
I wish I had your colour sense Brian. You always get it right.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Alvis 3.1

• Self acknowledged "Bad Influence"…but probably less attractive than Pink
  • The high priest of whiffing
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 11:32:52 AM »
Awesome, as always! You're an inspiration!

I heard Jeremy Clarkson's father was a Reliant Robin pilot, and was horribly injured in a ground loop with one. This may explain Mr Clarkson's intense dislike of the car.

Alvis 3.1

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 01:12:43 PM »
Brilliant!!  :) :)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 03:14:41 PM »
Ashame the Reliant Robin had that ground loop problem. :(
I'm with Big Gimper on your color choices.
Quite the back story and model. :)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 08:25:33 AM by finsrin »

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 03:28:20 AM »
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline deathjester

• 'Remember - Tiredness Kills Hedgehogs...!'
  • His Mother-in-law has Tardis pockets...
    • stormfront models
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 05:11:25 AM »
Brilliant Brian, just brilliant!! :)

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 06:25:40 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/www.CONTACTMagazine/videos/936928759715242/

;D

Hilarious story, as usual.  :)

Hilarious video, Jon! You'd think it'd be easy to stick a 3 point landing with a 3 wheeled car...

Brian da Basher

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 12:46:29 PM »
Hilarious story and great build, Brian! I love it!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates