Author Topic: Viggen + F-104  (Read 3054 times)

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
Viggen + F-104
« on: October 18, 2023, 01:55:43 PM »
Another cracked up idea of mine. While moving around a few models I managed to drop the Hasegawa Viggen I had built many years ago. It fel right on it underside, breaking off the weapons and landing gear but not much else. Since I had been tossing around a Viggen bash I pulled out the Heller F-104 from the stash and pulled out the two seat parts. I cut the Viggen at the intake attachment point and checked the fit of the two seat parts. Not too shabby. The Viggen parts are in the stripper bath. Yeah, go ahead and giggle.  :rolleyes:  He's a couple of pics of it taped together.

The wings look a little too far to the rear but changing that would be lots more work. Overall looks pretty good. I'm trying to use only the two seater parts from the Heller kit so I can build the single seater some day. I'm looking at the tail fin and thinking if I should switch it with a new taller one in the shape of the F-104G tail. Hmmmm, more work.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
Re: Viggen + F-104
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2023, 02:47:15 PM »
 :smiley: needs canards ;)

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2023, 03:09:24 PM »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2023, 04:19:48 PM »
I'm sure the undersides are perfectly aligned but I think the F-104 (front) section needs to be angled down a bit, there's a weird banananana look happening there. :-\

And, yes, it needs canards! ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Kerick

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2023, 07:13:23 PM »
Oh, it will get the canards back again. I値l probably move both of the wings and canards forward and shorten a few parts. I値l try to moves the canards and intakes as it looks odd too.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2023, 06:30:30 AM by Kerick »

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2023, 04:04:17 AM »
Excellent concept Ken!  :smiley:

... and shorten a few parts...

Your conversion may be too far along for this but also I wondered about shortening those TF-104 bits? Something like ...
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Kerick

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2023, 08:34:42 AM »
I知 going to shorten the TF-104 parts and fill in the hump. Then try to move the wings and canards forward. I知 tossing around whether to change out the tail for an F-104 type.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2023, 10:43:41 AM by Kerick »

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2023, 09:50:32 AM »
I知 tossing around wether to change out the tail for an F-104 type.

:-* T-tails.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2023, 09:34:08 AM »
I'm finished with the stripper.  :o  :rolleyes:

I should just go out and get a new kit whenever I try this. It took three sprays with Easy Off (an oxymoron if there ever was one) to get most of the old paint off. Good old 30 plus year old Testors! The only good part here is it appears I did a little whiffing back in the day when I first built this. I don't remember what the pink stuff was but it stuck on stronger than the paint! It looks like I was converting the ground pounder version of the Viggen to the interceptor version. I had added Sparrow/Skyflash, Sidewinders and a gun. I'll definitely keep the gun. I'm thinking of squaring off the exhaust, adding a cm or so and then moving the tail all the way back like the F-104G. I wonder how hard it would be to build a spine like the late model F-16. It's basically just a rounded off box with a little taper on the ends.

It would look very different with an F-104G tail rather than an F-16D.
This is why there is no quick whiff build!!!!!

Offline Kerick

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2023, 11:08:19 AM »
A little more good luck. I found two cast metal seats for an F-104G. Now I just need a cockpit for the second seat. I can build that quick enough.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2023, 10:35:42 PM »
I found a cockpit for the back seater from the Israeli Sufa kit I have in the stash.  There is a single part for a two seat and then extra parts for a single seat. I知 going to build a spine like the late model F-16D so I cut the drag chute housing from an F-16 tail I had in the junk box to start with. I also made a new fin from sheet plastic. I traced out the F-104 tail from the Heller kit and made it a bit longer and taller.

Once I put it on the F-16 part it looks a little too tall. I may take it down to the original F-104 shape. I don't think I'll use the T tail on the delta wing Viggen fuselage. Or I could change my mind again. I need to work on the F-104 cockpits and nose gear so I can get that mated to the fuselage.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2023, 05:29:06 AM »
Moving along nicely, a really interesting shape is evolving  :smiley:

Offline Kerick

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2023, 04:20:12 AM »
Moving slowly is the word. I致e started a bedroom renovation project. Tearing stuff apart and then paint and flooring. I did get to make a nose gear well today. Progress whenever I can get it.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2023, 12:53:34 PM »
The Viggen/Starfighter bash is progressing better than expected. The cockpit section is assembled and attached to the Viggen. I cut down the F-16 fin base and reattached it. I also started the avionics spine. I知 boxing it in with thick plastic but I may need to resort to epoxy putty to complete it. It looks like the new fin will work as first planed. Here's a couple of pics.

I had to find a few parts to make a second cockpit.

Actually the bedroom project is working out half way decent with the model building. I work on the bedroom until I need to let paint dry or I'm tired and then work on the build until I'm rested up again.
That's all for now. We'll see what tomorrow brings.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 12:56:38 PM by Kerick »

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2023, 05:32:06 PM »
You got a neat kitbash vision going on here.  Combo I certainly would not come up with.  Keep going  :smiley:

Offline Kerick

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2023, 01:53:25 PM »
Slow going on anything today, or yesterday it seems as it痴 past midnight. Anyway, just got home from concert in Chicago. Queen with Adam Lambert. Fantastic show!!!

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2023, 05:36:57 PM »
Slow going on anything today, or yesterday it seems as it痴 past midnight. Anyway, just got home from concert in Chicago. Queen with Adam Lambert. Fantastic show!!!

I think that lad is about the only person on the planet with the combination of voice & flambouyance to be able to tackle replacing Freddie with any level of success - he does a good job.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2023, 07:13:57 PM »

I think that lad is about the only person on the planet with the combination of voice & flambouyance to be able to tackle replacing Freddie with any level of success - he does a good job.

Got to agree with you there, he did not try to ape or replace Freddie instead he did his own thing and it worked, it worked very well in my humble opinion.

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Kerick

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2023, 09:03:31 PM »
It works extremely well! And a couple of tributes to Freddie during the show.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2023, 03:34:24 PM »
I had to rebuild the landing gear that got smashed when I dropped it. Remind me to not reuse old models. Nothing but a pain.
Its not perfect but I think it will keep it up off the shelf.

Sprue, sheet plastic, a paper clip and three out of four of the original wheels.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2023, 02:01:16 AM »
Way past time for an update. Model building has been very slow around here. Covid and sinus infections plus remodeling a bedroom has taken up everything here.
A ton of putty has been used here and just a little bit of sanding left to do. I知 thinking of a JASDF scheme in that dark blue over medium blue/grey. This thing is so whiff, why not? Just a little research to find something close to match the colors to. Christmas is almost here so today will be a good day to figure it out.

Update to the update:
No JASDF decals in the stash. I値l have to check a couple of hobby shops but they are both an hour away. If not then I値l order some.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2023, 01:32:57 PM by Kerick »

Offline apophenia

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2023, 07:06:53 AM »
... I知 thinking of a JASDF scheme in that dark blue over medium blue/grey...

Oohh yeah!  :-*

Offline Kerick

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2023, 07:08:36 AM »
Some photos of the latest progress.

F-104 gas bags and Sidewinder pylons.

Fuselage hump is finished and flat black applied.

New tail attached. I scribed the rudder on this side with no problem.

The other side the scribe wandered off on its own path and I had to fill it and then finish the job.

Pretty pics. Starting to look like a real airplane.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2023, 02:46:22 AM by Kerick »

Offline apophenia

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2023, 10:27:16 AM »
Looking good Ken! Love that new fin  :-*

Offline Kerick

« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2023, 02:53:15 AM »
Thanks!
I tried to get the shape of the F-104 tail but a little larger and without the T tail. I値l get the F-4J decals and put something colorful on it.