Author Topic: Schützenpanzer Jaguar (SPz 15-2)  (Read 3310 times)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Schützenpanzer Jaguar (SPz 15-2)
« on: December 10, 2016, 11:03:51 AM »
Schützenpanzer Jaguar (SPz 15-2)

Not too happy with this illustration but wanted to explore the idea. The scenario is that West Germany wanted a Mechanized Infantry Combat Vehicle to augment the unreliable Schützenpanzer Lang HS.30 (SPz-12-3). Henschel began design of this new Schützenpanzer based on components from the Jagdpanzer Kanone 90mm.

Deliveries of the new SPz 15-2 to Bundeswehr Panzergrenadier units begin in 1966 but numbers are small. The superior SPz Marder begins replacing the SPz-12-3 in 1971. By 1976, all SPz Jaguars had been consigned to second-line units (often replacing M113s). In 1980, the SPz 15-2 was withdrawn from Bundeswehr service and most of the surviving Schützenpanzer Jaguars were donated to Portugal just as that country rejoined NATO exercises.
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
Re: Schützenpanzer Jaguar (SPz 15-2)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 05:04:28 PM »
Oooh oooh oooh.. great idea.. I have a spare Luchs turret somewhere.... I think you have just triggered a future build :D

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 12:19:44 PM »
Cheers buzzbomb. Most gratifying to think that this concept may metamorphose into styrene! Looking forward to that  :)
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 08:28:31 PM »
Very interesting...it's gotten the old wheels a-turning in my head for something similar for my beloved USMC.