Author Topic: S 8 Superhansa  (Read 2077 times)

Offline MAT

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
S 8 Superhansa
« on: May 18, 2022, 11:52:49 PM »
Superhansa

During my research for the He 8 (H.M.II) I took a look at the Swedish He 5, the succes of which made the danish navy choose the He 8. 57 of these served as S 5 in the swedish air force (Flygvapnet) from 1927 til 1945. One even managed to shot down af Heinkel He 111 in april 1940.

In 1931 Svenska Aero AB proposed an improved version known as S 8 Superhansa. It had the same layout but a stronger engine and some aerodynamic improvements. As the performance would only be slightly better than that of the S 5, the project were abandoned in 1933.

But what if!

The only illustration I have found is a picture of a windtunnel model. But comparing it to a picture of the S 5 shows a remarkable likeness. And as I do known the dimensions of the S 8 Superhansa a model should be possible.

And as the Frog Vickers Vimy, that I have used for the H.M.II, is a bi-plane, I do have some wings as starting point. My private scrapyard delivered some other items, that might be usefull.

So let the work begin.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 04:38:13 AM by MAT »

Offline MAT

Re: S 8 Superhansa
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2022, 11:53:58 PM »
The windtunnel model of the S 8

Offline MAT

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2022, 11:54:47 PM »
And a sideview of a S 5

Offline MAT

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 12:03:59 AM »
And once again my scrapyard will provide the pieces for this build

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2022, 12:31:21 AM »
Definitely a glutton for punishment, MAT! ;D
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2022, 05:48:36 AM »
But well worth it! MAT comes up with another, even more obscure Nordic project ... oh yeah  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2022, 06:31:04 AM »
Nice to see your scrap yard can yield similar goodies to mine... looking forward to this one as well

Offline MAT

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2022, 04:49:50 PM »
Wings are now almost finished, the tailplanes - that once upon a time were part of an Airfix SM.79 - are cut to shape and the fuselage are slowly morphing into a part of a Superhansa

Offline MAT

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2022, 04:41:32 AM »
The pieces of the Superhansa getting into shape

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2022, 10:00:52 AM »
 :smiley: :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline MAT

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2022, 05:08:26 AM »
Finely are the pieces coming together. Still a lot of PSR ahead. And the the big question _ Colours!

Offline apophenia

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2022, 07:20:24 AM »
This is looking great MAT!  :smiley:

Finely are the pieces coming together. Still a lot of PSR ahead. And the the big question _ Colours!

Oh, it's got to be 1940 dark green over light blue with big yellow numbers!

Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline MAT

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2022, 04:11:06 PM »
Oh, it's got to be 1940 dark green over light blue with big yellow numbers!
Thar would be the obvious choice. But I have something else in mind. Some swedish floatplanes (at least some SAAB S 17BS) were painted in a colour, which Flygvapnet called "ubåts-grå" (submarine grey) - a greenish dark grey. Otherwise the plane will be in the 1940 standard.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2022, 10:58:18 AM »
Thar would be the obvious choice. But I have something else in mind. Some swedish floatplanes (at least some SAAB S 17BS) were painted in a colour, which Flygvapnet called "ubåts-grå" (submarine grey) - a greenish dark grey. Otherwise the plane will be in the 1940 standard.

I'd never heard of this ubåtsgrå scheme before ... but that makes much more sense  :smiley:

Offline MAT

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2022, 11:52:25 PM »
I'd never heard of this ubåtsgrå scheme before ... but that makes much more sense  :smiley:

The swedish air force did not only use navy colours. From 1940 to 1944 the trainerplanes of Flygvapnet were panited orange and "pansergrät" - panser grey. That colour seems to have been the same as on swedish tanks during WW2.

Offline MAT

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2022, 06:28:04 PM »
The Superhansa have got the first coat of "ubåts-grå" mixed according to the recipe on a swedish modelsite. Definitely a break from the usual dark green swedish planes.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2022, 01:42:38 AM »
Hey, look, it worked! :D

Moved here at MAT's request from the Maritime patrol GB.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2022, 05:54:22 AM »
Excellent! Looking forward to seeing this one complete  :smiley:

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2022, 12:55:29 AM »
 I admit to being a little disappointed when I discovered this wasn't a four engined Hansa jet ;), but any elaboration on the theme of the post war Heinkel floatplanes is pretty cool.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2022, 05:20:24 AM »
Personally, I love MAT's idea of an updated Heinkel Eindecker floatplane.

Still, the notion of a 4-engined Hansajet has very intriguing scale-o-rame possibilities ...  :D