Author Topic: DC-7 Turboprop  (Read 5392 times)

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
DC-7 Turboprop
« on: October 23, 2013, 01:09:57 AM »
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 05:11:52 PM by ysi_maniac »

Offline ysi_maniac

Re: DC-7 Turboprop
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 04:22:49 PM »
I begin with an old (mold is dated 1955 !!!) Revell box scale model of what seems to be a DC-7B at 1/123 approx. It is fearly good with raised rivets but not exagerated and some recesed panels. Do not confuse this model with another (based on this) that Revell is currently selling as DC-7C at 1/122. In fact this last model is half 7B and half 7C: they updated tail fin and central section of wings but fuselage and nose remain as the old one; fuselage must be 9mm longer in front of wing leading edge and nose and windscreen must be sharper.

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 04:25:52 PM »
Looking forward to this one!
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline ysi_maniac

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 04:35:07 PM »
DC-7B is 33.20 meters long and DC-7D is almost 38. So I must introduce a section in front fuselage of 3 cm the rest will be sharper nose and swept tail fin.

Here you can see how I have stretched fuselage. IMO this is a good way to ensure correct alignment. I must admit that nose looks a little 'pinoccio' (hehehe) but it is not finished and windscreen is not modified yet.

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 06:51:43 PM »
Looks good and I ma going to steal your way of fuselage extension, it does look like it will help alignment.
Were going to be finished in 2020 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - Maybe When Hell Freezes Over - again? - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Stud

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 06:00:27 AM »
Yes, yes... like it already

Online finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 07:12:21 AM »
What a choice of subject to build  :-*
Like how its started.  Anticipation grows.  May have to take a sedative.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 07:32:28 AM by finsrin »

Offline father ennis

• I got paint older than most of you guys ...
  • Our Scifi, armour-building Rennissance Priest...
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 11:15:10 AM »
Now that is a blast from the past !   I remember my great aunt Ethel,took a trip to California and got me this kit and another which was a jet from the airline (TWA, I think) that was in the late 50's. I rremember that they came in plain boxes and after I got them together,I had many hours of fun flying them around the house.
I may be old but I'm not dead ... yet anyway ... !!!    And NO I did not know Richard III !!!!!!

Offline ysi_maniac

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 11:48:08 PM »
Hi People, thanks for your words. I can remember when a was a child that sometimes my uncle took my brother and me in a ride to Madrid airport just to see airliners landing and taking off. When security was not such concern you could be very close to the planes, you could feel the the hot air and smoke from those big piston engines expeled when taxiing. When a jet was something rare and thrilling.

For me, the elegance, beauty and glamour of those DC-7s, Super Constellations, Britannias, Metropolitans,... cannot be seen anymore in modern jets, so difficult to distinguish.

And, of course, a was a child! hahahaha

;) :D

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 02:08:38 AM »
I really like how you're stretching the fuselage, Carlos!

This is one fantastic project and it looks like you've got a real beauty in the works!

Brian da Basher