Author Topic: Stargazer2006's imaginary aircraft  (Read 163291 times)

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
Re: Stargazer2006's imaginary aircraft
« Reply #100 on: May 08, 2012, 10:41:32 AM »
I love the Dartmaster.  I'll have to find and scan a drawing of a twin-engined B-58 based LRI.  It's a most attractive design.

Stargazer2006

« Reply #101 on: May 08, 2012, 06:33:10 PM »
I love the Dartmaster.  I'll have to find and scan a drawing of a twin-engined B-58 based LRI.  It's a most attractive design.

Are you saying that I conceived something that had already been considered 55 years ago? Oh blast! Can't wait to see that!

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #102 on: May 09, 2012, 07:11:34 AM »
Are you saying that I conceived something that had already been considered 55 years ago?

Amazing how often that happens! Anyway, love your  Dartmaster ... it's got a pugnacious look about it  :)
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Stargazer2006

« Reply #103 on: June 22, 2012, 06:18:56 AM »
What if the Curtiss C-46 Commando, a transport aircraft of World War II fame, had been further developed after the war?

Enter the Super Commando, an imaginary development of the C-46 with a high wing and a raised tail for rear loading and parachuting.

This image was created using a C-46 profile and a Fairchild C-123 Provider profile as a basis. I took bits and pieces from each and redrew several elements. I then incorporated all the markings and captions, mostly made from genuine company documents.

But why North American? Because the aeroplane division of the Curtiss-Wright company was absorbed by North American Aviation in the early 1960s. The AC-146K is a 1960s aircraft that could have been used in Viet-Nam for instance. Don't try to find any accuracy or likeliness in the markings. I did not try to make them credible, just to look nice!

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #104 on: June 22, 2012, 06:52:26 AM »
Very cool, but I'd hate for you to have to try to work out the geometry of a front view for this one.  ;)

Cheers,

Logan

Stargazer2006

« Reply #105 on: June 22, 2012, 07:21:10 AM »
Logan, you have just killed me!!  ;D

Offline apophenia

« Reply #106 on: June 22, 2012, 11:41:06 AM »
Very nice Stéphane! Any plans for shiny post-war civilian growth versions of the Commando?

Stargazer2006

« Reply #107 on: June 22, 2012, 02:54:29 PM »
Very nice Stéphane! Any plans for shiny post-war civilian growth versions of the Commando?

Why not, though I think the C-46 was a bit too chubby to make a convincing post-war airliner (though I know it was used that way in some parts of the world).

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #108 on: June 22, 2012, 04:46:30 PM »

Why not, though I think the C-46 was a bit too chubby to make a convincing post-war airliner (though I know it was used that way in some parts of the world).

737 wings help with it being a mini wide body.

Stargazer2006

Here is an imaginary Beechcraft Model 17 Staggerwing advertisement based upon a real one from 1935. The only remaining elements from the original are the aircraft at the top, the text and the footer.

All the rest (including the markings on the aircraft) was added from bits and pieces to create an imaginary fighter variant which I called the Outfighter.

There existed a military variant of the Model 17, called the C-43 Traveler (Army) and the GB (Navy) but a combat variant would have been interesting (though I guess it would have required quite a bit of redesign for it to be a fighter...). Bah! It's only fantasy anyway!

The tough bit was to add some old paper texture and rework the various elements to give them that old worn out mag feeling.

Did I succeed?

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #110 on: June 23, 2012, 08:55:24 PM »
A biplane fighter 1936? This is not impossible, to match the Japanese/Russian/Italian/British ones, with top maneuvrability...

Offline Acree

• That will teach you to frustrate the powers that be...won't it comrade?
  • Sentenced to time in the BTS Gulag...
« Reply #111 on: June 24, 2012, 12:54:24 AM »
You succeeded beautifully Stephane!  I did a doubletake for a second thinking it was a "real" old ad!  Thinking of a Staggerwing-based fighter is reminiscent of the Curtiss XF13C-1 of 1933.  It had the look of a cabin biplane, but was later converted as a high-wing monoplane layout.  It also had retractable landing gear like the Staggerwing (albeit a different style). 

Offline apophenia

The tough bit was to add some old paper texture and rework the various elements to give them that old worn out mag feeling.

Did I succeed?

And then some! NIce effect ... care to give away any trade secrets Stéphane?  :D

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #113 on: June 24, 2012, 06:20:17 AM »
If memory serves me correctly, Beeh did look at fighter versions of the Staggerwing with the upper wing being a gull wing to improve vision from a bubble canopy or greenhouse.  ISTR that an Allisn-powered version was considered.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #114 on: June 24, 2012, 06:30:34 AM »
That would be this one:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Stargazer2006

Stargazer2006's imaginary aircraft: Northrop C-125C « Sea Raider »
« Reply #115 on: June 26, 2012, 11:38:10 PM »
Cool pic, thanks for sharing!

When someone recently mentioned the Northrop C-125 Raider in a post, I realized how much I like that forgotten transport and what potential it held for "whiffing" (what-if-ing).

From that strict U.S. Air Force landplane I developed a seagoing floatplane for the U.S. Navy, the C-125C Sea Raider.

This time I took the time to do both a fake photo and a three-view arrangement. Hope you guys like it!

[PLAN REPLACED BY A BETTER VERSION. SEE NEXT PAGE.]
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 05:24:37 AM by Stargazer2006 »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #116 on: June 27, 2012, 02:06:06 AM »
 :)

Looks better with floats then the real thing did.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #117 on: June 27, 2012, 02:24:53 AM »
Looks like some Bellanca influence there.  I approve!

Cheers,

Logan

Stargazer2006

« Reply #118 on: June 27, 2012, 03:24:58 AM »
:)

Looks better with floats then the real thing did.
Agreed!!!  ;)

Looks like some Bellanca influence there.  I approve!

Indeed. The floats and background were taken from the photo of Bellanca 77-320 and then the port float was stretched aft. I specifically wanted that Bellanca float arrangement for the Raider, I think they work really well together. I also had to invent the underwing housings for the main triangular struts. Glad you approve!!!

Stargazer2006

« Reply #119 on: June 27, 2012, 03:26:40 AM »
Ouch! It hust hit me that I had forgotten to add the additional tail fins on the top and front views. Blast... Got to rework it quick!

Stargazer2006

« Reply #120 on: June 27, 2012, 05:22:03 AM »
Ouch! It hust hit me that I had forgotten to add the additional tail fins on the top and front views. Blast... Got to rework it quick!

Done. There were actually a few mistakes that needed fixing, so to anyone who already saved the plan onto their computer, please update the file!

Offline Jeremak

• Couch mastermind
  • One-person Alternate History Liberation Front
    • My DA: profiles respository, and more...
« Reply #121 on: June 27, 2012, 06:07:54 AM »
Great plane. For me it look like successor of Antonov An-2, build for filling gap between An-2, and bigger soviet transport planes. Especially due nose engine, and "barrelish" fuselage.

Stargazer2006

« Reply #122 on: June 27, 2012, 06:30:27 AM »
Great plane. For me it look like successor of Antonov An-2, build for filling gap between An-2, and bigger soviet transport planes. Especially due nose engine, and "barrelish" fuselage.

Yeah. I do think the Raider was a great plane. It deserved much better than the small production batch purchased by the USAF.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #123 on: June 27, 2012, 10:29:06 AM »
Yeah. I do think the Raider was a great plane. It deserved much better than the small production batch purchased by the USAF.

Canadair planned to build the Raider as the CL-3/CL-12.
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1949/1949%20-%200924.html

Can't you just see the Sea Raider sitting on a remote Canadian lake? And those Bellanca floats would feel right at home too  ;)

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #124 on: June 27, 2012, 03:04:01 PM »
Seeing your C-125C kick started the old gray cells to remember YC-125 which gone off my memory screen.
C-125C with three T-56 or similar could scoot in-out of places deposit and retrieve Seal teams.