Author Topic: THE REVISED AUSTRALASIAN DEFENCE FORCE AIR CAPABILITY  (Read 10967 times)

Offline ScranJ51

• Fast Jet, Fast Prop, Fast Racing Cars - thats me!!
Re: THE REVISED AUSTRALASIAN DEFENCE FORCE AIR CAPABILITY
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2018, 10:34:55 AM »
As stated earlier, my intention was to only discuss the capability/aircraft I had modeled.  Any other discussion would be better placed elsewhere, so I'll cut the discussion (without aircraft pics) to the Scenarios area and continue some discussion and answer KiwiZac's questions there.

Dave
Fast Jet, Fast Prop, Fast Racing Cars - thats me!!

Offline ScranJ51

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2018, 02:40:46 PM »
As to "batch builds", I can do this because of my set-up in a shared craft/modelling room.

Here you see the workbench and the ledge above, with the current (6 or 7) builds lined up.  Behind those are the next batch.

Bench-1 by David Freeman, on Flickr

The advantage is I can do work on one model, move to the next, then the next etc., and finally return to the first build and continue the process.

And as to the stash, here is part of it (less than half)

Stash-1 by David Freeman, on Flickr

(you may notice a number of Red Arrows Hawk kits - look out for a Red Arrows flight line doi sometime in the future   ;)  )
and some more

Stash-2 by David Freeman, on Flickr

I'm also toying around with display options

Troops-1 by David Freeman, on Flickr

with lights

Troops-2 by David Freeman, on Flickr

And another teaser - just finished

F117-1 by David Freeman, on Flickr

F117-4 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Cheers

Dave

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2018, 06:33:33 PM »
Room is too neat, too orderly, too clean.  ;)

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2018, 06:04:11 AM »
Aussie Nighthawk, YES! Love it!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2018, 12:13:02 PM »
Noticed the Cricket Dio.. clever idea

Offline ScranJ51

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2018, 02:08:54 PM »
OK - I decided to add to this idea.

U-2C
There are not many details about these “Black” Birds being operated by Australia.  What is known is that the USAF transferred 6 airframes to the RAAF sometime in the mid 90’s as the aircraft started to be replaced by TR-2’s.  The belief is that the US/USAF transferred the responsibility for Indian Ocean Surveillance to space-based platforms, with the U-2’s conducting surveillance flights based on Intelligence from these systems.  The aircraft are based at Edinburgh in South Australia, and regularly operate out of RAAF Pearce in Western Australia. At times it appears two aircraft deploy to Pearce for several weeks at a time, but when not flying the aircraft are kept in a hanger out of sight.  The aircraft have also reportedly flown missions on an irregular basis over the South Pacific, and there have been reports of the aircraft occasionally landing in New Zealand, but these movements are normally denied or never confirmed.  The aircraft have very toned-down markings, with no roundels, just red Kangaroos and “Royal Australian Air Force” in red letters on each side of the fuselage.

u2-1 by David Freeman, on Flickr

u2-2 by David Freeman, on Flickr

u2-3 by David Freeman, on Flickr

u2-4 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2018, 05:27:52 PM »
Yet more proof that few things spice up a model like those wonderful red 'roos!

Well done!

Brian da Basher

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2018, 05:43:05 PM »
 :smiley:

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2018, 11:34:20 PM »
Gorgeous and quite plausible.

Offline ScranJ51

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2018, 01:27:26 PM »
I originally didn't plan on expanding the scenario from the batch builds, but then I got that U-2......   ::)

I've shown a couple of these before - but there is one new build  ;)

BREXIT and a Bargain Buy

With unrest in the European Union raising its head in the early 2000's, Britain decided to go it alone and pull out of the European Union.  There was a lot of emotional discussion and the confidence of the world in the UK was shaken, and the Pound dropped in value to a frightening degree.  The UK Armed Forces found the going tough, and needed to downsize.  After retiring the Harrier and Jaguar, the RAF still faced a budget shortfall, and looked to save money by cancelling some of their later Typhoon orders.

The UK aircraft industry took serious exception to this proposal, so the UK Government looked at the option of on-selling Typhoons as an option.  Enter the Aussies.

Sensing a real opportunity, the ADF offered to take 20 Typhoons off the RAF's hands. BUT - the ADF would only accept Tranche 3 (fully capable) aircraft, rather than older aircraft from RAF service.  The UK had no real option but to divert Tranche 3 aircraft from the production line to close the deal.

The Aussies were delighted, picking up additional very capable aircraft from a non-US supplier at a bargain basement price, while sending a message to the US that although the ADF were prepared to take on traditional US responsibilities in the Pacific, the ADF would do so under their own terms.

The pool of 20 Typhoons (16 single seat and 4 duals) were to be operated by 76 Squadron:

euro pair by David Freeman, on Flickr

Typhoon single by David Freeman, on Flickr

Typhoon Dual by David Freeman, on Flickr

Rather than dispose of the EX-76 Squadron Vipers, the RAAF shuffled the aircraft between 79 Squadron and a new unit that became a full-time Aggressor squadron for the ADF (and RNZAF).

30 SQUADRON RAAF:

The Vipers allocated to 30SQN were stripped of all operational equipment, including radar, to make them as light and agile as possible.  The RAAF developed a system whereby the ACMI pods on aircraft opposing the Aggressor Vipers could be used to feed ïnformation" to the opponent, allowing it to appear the Aggressor Vipers were radiating signals from regional aircraft such as the SU-30's flown by Indonesia.

Aggressor-1 by David Freeman, on Flickr

AGgressor-2 by David Freeman, on Flickr

The inspiration for this paint job was:
F16_Block_30 by David Freeman, on Flickr
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 01:55:49 PM by ScranJ51 »

Offline ScranJ51

« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2018, 01:54:43 PM »
Next, the Aussies decided to twist the tail of the US to see how far they could push the envelope. As the USAF started to retire their F-117's, the RAAF negotiated to take 12 of the lowest flight timed aircraft so-as to give the ADF yet another capability edge of the region.

The 12 jets are pooled, with only 7 or 8 being in service at any one time, and are operated by No 1 Squadron alongside their existing F-15E's, making the squadron the largest in the RAAF inventory.

F117-2 by David Freeman, on Flickr

F117-4 by David Freeman, on Flickr

(next week - the RAAF considers options to replace the F-16's and F-15C's - stay tuned    :D  )

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2018, 04:58:35 PM »
I really like that F-16 of yours! Great work on the camo and looks fantastic with those 'roos!

Brian da Basher

Offline John Howling Mouse

• The King Of Absurdia
  • Have vacformer, will travel.
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2018, 07:04:46 AM »
That A-37B is my favorite.  You certainly know your way around a paintbrush: awesome, original schemes!
Saving the globe from plastic pollution one kitbashed model at a time.

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2018, 05:41:31 AM »
very nice builds

Offline ScranJ51

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2018, 04:12:33 PM »
thanks - hopefully this weekend some more changes will be revealed....... :o

Offline ScranJ51

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2018, 04:52:05 PM »
I originally didn't plan to continue the story after the initial batch build,  but adding a few other aircraft to the story has changed my mind.

5TH GENERATION AIRCRAFT

The RAAF (and ADF) participated in the JSF Program from the late 90's/early 00's with participation in the System Design and Development (SDD) Phase.  This was basically a plan by American Industry to "lock"buyers in place - "If you don't participate in SDD, you are not really interested and will not be able to secure aircraft early on the production line."  The ADF where happy to go alone with this, although the Typhoon purchase put some in US Industry at unease, worried the Aussies may decide to cut their losses if the JSF or F-35 as it became, was delayed.  When the Aussies called a press conference in 2006 to announce their next generation aircraft, no-one was surprised to hear that the F-35 had been selected by Australia.

JSF03 by David Freeman, on Flickr

JSF01 by David Freeman, on Flickr

JSF04 by David Freeman, on Flickr

What most DIDN'T expect was the continuation of that announcement - that the F-35 would replace the F-16 in operational squadrons.

Huh? What about the Fighter Force F-15's?

Then came the bombshell.

Despite discussion that the USAF would NEVER let the Silver Bullet loose from their grasp - the Aussies announced that the next buy would again be two tier - The F-35 replacing the F-16's - while the F-15C fleet would be replaced by:

F-22 Raptors!

f22-2 by David Freeman, on Flickr

f22-1 by David Freeman, on Flickr

f22-4 by David Freeman, on Flickr

f22-3 by David Freeman, on Flickr

In further changes, 30 SQN would remain as the Aggressor unit, but would expand to accept both low-fatigue life F-16 AND F-15C aircraft for operation.

The issue of the RAAF Typhoons was neatly solved - these aircraft going to the RNZAF to replace the F-5E's and taking the primary RNZAF air superiority role, while the two Hornet squadrons would take on more of the strike and Army support roles alongside the F-20 Tigersharks.

75 F-35's would equip three squadrons and part of the OCU, while 50 Raptors would be operated by 77 and 75 Squadron plus the OCU.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 04:59:59 PM by ScranJ51 »

Offline ScranJ51

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2018, 02:20:15 AM »
OK - I decided to add to this idea.

U-2C
There are not many details about these “Black” Birds being operated by Australia.  What is known is that the USAF transferred 6 airframes to the RAAF sometime in the mid 90’s as the aircraft started to be replaced by TR-2’s.  The belief is that the US/USAF transferred the responsibility for Indian Ocean Surveillance to space-based platforms, with the U-2’s conducting surveillance flights based on Intelligence from these systems.  The aircraft are based at Edinburgh in South Australia, and regularly operate out of RAAF Pearce in Western Australia. At times it appears two aircraft deploy to Pearce for several weeks at a time, but when not flying the aircraft are kept in a hanger out of sight.  The aircraft have also reportedly flown missions on an irregular basis over the South Pacific, and there have been reports of the aircraft occasionally landing in New Zealand, but these movements are normally denied or never confirmed.  The aircraft have very toned-down markings, with no roundels, just red Kangaroos and “Royal Australian Air Force” in red letters on each side of the fuselage.

u2-1 by David Freeman, on Flickr

u2-2 by David Freeman, on Flickr

u2-3 by David Freeman, on Flickr

u2-4 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Interestingly enough, at one point Lockheed Martin did consider offering the U-2 to Australia.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2018, 06:45:08 AM »
very nice collection

Offline ScranJ51

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2019, 10:43:51 AM »
After some research, I have decided on an identity for the U-2 Squadron.

Number 42 Squadron - originally formed 1 June 1944 and operating Catalina flying boats from first Darwin and then Melville Bay.  42 carried out mine-laying operations and recce flights over Japanese held territory.  The Squadron was disbanded at Melville Island on 30 November 1945.  (source - Flying Squadron of the Australian Defence Force by Steve Eather)