Author Topic: SketchUp 3D Model - Star Trek Universe Photon Torpedo  (Read 8437 times)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
SketchUp 3D Model - Star Trek Universe Photon Torpedo
« on: December 15, 2011, 05:34:54 AM »
My attempt to model the photon torpedo from the Star Trek franchise.  The 3D model of the photon torpedo was created using a program called SketchUp that is a 3D modeling program that can be used for a variety of things that are limited only by your imagination and experience with the program.  I use the free version of SketchUp.  For anyone wanting the professional version of SketchUp there is a "Pro" version  that will cost you some money but offers little in the way of features over the free version of SketchUp.  The one limitation on the free version is that it will not allow you to save your files in an AutoCAD file format.  Other than that, there is little difference between the two programs.  So the free version is the best deal for anyone wanting to try their hand at 3D modeling.  :)

Image of my 3D Photon Torpedo model at the SketchUp 3D Warehouse.  Click on image to view the model page at the 3D Warehouse. 

Link to my gallery page and my other 3D models at the 3D Warehouse
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 03:48:43 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: SketchUp 3D Model - Star Trek Universe Photon Torpedo
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 03:42:50 PM »
 :slow:

Looks a bit like a big spacecraft if one looks at the thrusters as crew windows.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 06:11:58 AM »
Looks good. A full spread of those would ruin anyone's day!

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 04:05:51 AM »
Now if I can just craft a few of these in 1/48th and 1/72nd scale there could be some interesting weapons load outs for a couple of strike aircraft ;)

Had to edit my OP to clean up a couple of dead links to pages that I no longer maintain at FaceBook. 

Now that I have clarified why the edit was done I can move on to the other details I wanted to share regarding the Photon Torpedo.  There is a maker at Shapeways that has created and is offering for sale the Photon Torpedo in several scales. 

I ordered several of the 1:72nd scale Photon Torpedo models and was quite pleased with the product received.  While the price is a bit steep and I expressed my concerns to the maker of the model he obliged me by offering a 1:72nd scale Photon Torpedo without the internal details which reduced the overall cost just a bit. 

My next objective is to convince the maker that he should offer the Photon Torpedo in 1:48th scale.  At this point, the model is available but the price is rather unattractive.  The maker stated that when he can find the time he will attempt to reduce the cost by making adjustments to the model.  Now it is hurry up and wait on the 1:48th scale model to see the price come down to something more affordable.  Until then we have to hurry up and wait... 

Links to the Photon Torpedo models currently available at Shapeways:

1:72nd scale Photon Torpedo with internal details

1:72nd scale Photon Torpedo outer shell only

1:48th scale Photon Torpedo outer shell only

2.28cm Photon Torpedo with internal details
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg